PDA

View Full Version : Why 2 speedometers and only 1 paddle wheel???

996scott
02-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Ok, I have been trouble shooting why one of my speedometers hasn't been working on my 07 LSV. One of them quit working and the other is fine. I finally found a short inside the broken speedometer but in the process I realized that both speedometers are fed from only 1 paddle wheel. I always figured you had two speedometers and two paddle wheels so they were independent of each other. What is the use of have two then if they both come from the same pick up?

mmandley
02-17-2016, 05:50 PM
I have no real idea,

1 might be so you have a back up...
2 might be a space filler because Perfect Pass Goes in the other...
3 might be so you can calibrate one for up river and the other for down river...

Other then that not sure lol

trayson
02-18-2016, 12:05 AM
well, I know the 2 speedos are a throwback to the days when they were fed by thr air tubes on the back of the hull. they were notorious for getting clogged and for being inaccurate. it is possible that they just did the standard 2 speedos to not have a hole in the dash, even though the boat only had one paddlewheel.

viking
02-18-2016, 10:55 AM
It's so you can go twice as fast

tantlingerbill
02-18-2016, 11:01 AM
its a throw back to slalom skiing and being called "tournament boat" (even though it is an LSV). Tournament boats are (were) required to have 2 speedos.

996scott
02-18-2016, 04:54 PM
yea I know it goes back to the tournament boats having two speedos but they had independent pickups for each so if one failed then you still had the other, but now the two speedos are coming off the same pickup so there in no need. Anyway, just some food for thought.

mmandley might be on to something with #3

gregski
02-18-2016, 05:27 PM
Well, having two worked out fine for you when one failed :)