PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Options

80AM
02-17-2016, 02:10 PM
So looking on the Moomba site, the new Aviator tower's bimini is $760, getting a compatible and larger Roswell Shadow Top (sans pockets) is $1500. The Z5 Cargo Rack is $3400 and it only works with the S-Bend tower which is an additional $1280.

Seeing as how both towers are made by Roswell, using the same mechanism to lower the tower, and the standard bimini already has 2 sleeves in it for surfboards, I'm thinking the Z5 and S-Bend aren't worth the $4700 difference.

Never used a Z-5 so thoughts are appreciated.

DFTR Josh
02-17-2016, 02:23 PM
I was just put through this and my 2 cents. Z5 is an awesome concept I just don't like the idea of still having a frame up if I want sun in the chilly mornings and driving to/from. I also don't mind having extra racks and when you look at cost the racks win. Just like you already said the pockets in the Aviator tower was hard to give up but we liked the look of the S Bend and the height that seemed to be taller. You can also look at a plus having the LED "dome" light feature but I yet to see it in action. The S Bend also allows an extra sent of stock racks to be bolted right to the upper section and can be ordered from factory. The bimini on the S Bend is much stronger and don't need to have straps that go to your cleats which is a plus for me also.

mmandley
02-17-2016, 02:45 PM
I had the Z5 on my LSV and I loved loved it.
Biggest issue is just what DFTR Josh said, when you don't want it up you have to store it. Also when i put my boat in the garage I had to remove it and store it. Not real hard but still an inconvenience. Also towing long distance, you should remove the fabric and that can be a pain.

Now having a nice Bimini on the Mojo I love it even more I think. I can have it open or closed in a mater of a minute, then its not issue towing or storing the boat. I don't have surf pockets, would love to have them but other wise I really enjoy the ease of the Bimini.

KG's Supra24
02-17-2016, 02:49 PM
I also wasn't loving the bimini on the Aviator2 .... But did like the fact it has surf pockets.

I guess I made the assumption that the Sbend would have surf pockets ... guess that was a bad assumption?

I had the Z5 on the Supra and really liked it. I hardly ever removed the canopy. It does mean there will be full time shade spots but it wasn't an issue in regards to trailering.

We used the z5 for multiple purposes .... Mostly used to hold the hand made surf boards (so they weren't in racks), used for kids wakeboards that don't fit in the tines correctly, and even for putting tubes on so we didn't have to deflate.

It's a big expense to swallow, almost hard to understand. It is def not something I could see buying outside of the initial purchase. I really like the look and function of it, though.

DFTR Josh
02-17-2016, 02:57 PM
wasn't an issue in regards to trailering.
I was towing a Z5'd Supra and asked if we should remove and was told no. Well 45 MPH head wind the Z5 bent! You thought removing it was hard, try and do it in a tornado. LOVE the function of it but for myself I would rather go extra racks.

I guess I made the assumption that the Sbend would have surf pockets ... guess that was a bad assumption?
I didn't fully inspect but I'm pretty sure no surf pockets on the S Bend bimini...

cpropes2005
02-17-2016, 03:11 PM
No surf pockets on my 2015 Mojo with the S bend but it is a really nice bimini. Its large, very easy to put up or down and doesn't require any straps which I think gives it a much cleaner look.

DFTR Josh
02-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Anybody have anything good/bad to say about the LED dome light feature?

KG's Supra24
02-17-2016, 03:45 PM
I think it's a big GOOD! I removed an overhead light on my last boat and regretted it big time.

I'm thinking it will make it way easier to see around the boat in the evenings. Wonder if it would be even cooler in RGB .... :confused:

viking
02-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Everything is cooler in RGB's !!

Surf pockets can be sewn into any bimini at a fairly reasonable cost.

DFTR Josh
02-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Everything is cooler in RGB's !!
MSRP just went up $500 for RGB dome light, LOL. Would be a pretty cool option though. My last boat I added theater lighting just for this reason. With the stock LED lighting in the Craz and the dome light I should be 1 happy customer. Anybody have pictures of it in action?