PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Storage

rdlangston13
02-16-2016, 02:02 PM
Has anyone ever strapped a cooler on the swim platform while trailering the boat? Thinking this could free up some space in the toe vehicle and keeping the inside of the boat from being banged up by it sliding around.

Sent from my iPhone

trayson
02-16-2016, 02:09 PM
I see it all the time on fishing boats...

Heck, I've even seen a swim platform bike rack online on some threads.

I guess the risk you'd be taking is that weight back there while the force of the trailer bouncing around is magnifying it... Personally, I wouldn't do it. The risk just isn't worth the benefit in my book. I'd sooner find a way to strap it in the boat so it doesn't slide around...

rdlangston13
02-16-2016, 02:20 PM
I see it all the time on fishing boats...

Heck, I've even seen a swim platform bike rack online on some threads.

I guess the risk you'd be taking is that weight back there while the force of the trailer bouncing around is magnifying it... Personally, I wouldn't do it. The risk just isn't worth the benefit in my book. I'd sooner find a way to strap it in the boat so it doesn't slide around...

Yeah but it seems the platform
Can hold 400-500 lbs. a 50 quart cooler is MAYBE 100 lbs full. It would take a hell of a bounce for it pull 4-5 Gs

Sent from my iPhone

sivs1
02-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Yeah but it seems the platform
Can hold 400-500 lbs. a 50 quart cooler is MAYBE 100 lbs full. It would take a hell of a bounce for it pull 4-5 Gs

Sent from my iPhone

I agree with trayson, 400-500lbs while in the water is one thing, I would never put that much weight on mine while on the trailer. Cooler for short distances might be okay, long hauls? I wouldn't do it.

jmvotto
02-16-2016, 02:45 PM
put it in the boat on the floor.

KG's Supra24
02-16-2016, 02:51 PM
I'd worry more about the risk of it coming off than it hurting the platform.

Personally, I'd put it in the floor of the boat.

kaneboats
02-16-2016, 04:36 PM
I guess I treat my beer better than that. I wouldn't want it feeling like I didn't care about it. :cool: And, I wouldn't want it bouncing around back there. I tie my platform down tight with a ratchet strap so it doesn't bounce any more than it has to and widen the pinholes.

moombadaze
02-16-2016, 04:44 PM
And here im thinking about the beer being all shook up with heading to the lake bouncing down the road.

dont do it, its just not worth it

DFTR Josh
02-16-2016, 05:46 PM
I've seen people towing down the road with gas spilling everywhere, LOL. I would do it like others said for short trips but for the long haul I would make room in the truck. You could always go Grizwald style and tie it to the top of the rig ;)

5:00
02-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Good idea but I vote no also.
I tied a half full 5 gallon gas can to the tray (where you stand) on my stand up SuperJet. It was a "squared" heavy walled, racing can and stood up straight and fit nicely. It was walled on three sides of the ski, foam on the base and web tied it down so it couldn't possibly come out. That's what I thought until I saw it from my passenger mirror being dragged down the road after hitting a big bump at 60 MPH. Caught it right away so no leakage somehow.
Swim platform is just not made for that.

mmandley
02-16-2016, 06:04 PM
This is why I buy Long bed trucks lol.

Physically Yes you can do it, the platform can hold well over 600+ out of the water. A cooler full of ice and drinks isn't going to hurt it at all. It shouldn't be bouncing unless its normal bumps in the road. I would put some thick towels between it and the boat, then strap it across the top both ways to hold it from up down, side to side movement.

If you have the loose rattling swim deck I would not do it though, as this will magnify the already growing issue with the swim deck.

Also I wouldn't use the large ones like I have 150qt we take camping, that's a solid 200lbs with ice and beer.

But to answer your question YES the platform is strong enough to do it.

beat taco
02-16-2016, 11:07 PM
Do it all the time, use a padded moving blanket on the platform and transom. Also I use a nice ratchet strap to the transom tie downs. I use to haul four 6 gal. tanks all the time on vacations but don't bother anymore. My cans have a ball valve at the spout so no leaks.

EODChris
02-17-2016, 03:22 PM
The easiest solution is to buy a bigger truck.

yearround
02-17-2016, 07:35 PM
I have traveled with 4-6 5 gal gas cans strapped to the platform for many miles, 500+. carried both empty and full. all is fine with the platform.

That Guy
02-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Done it many a time. No issues on multiple boats over twenty years. Use a few towels and ratchet straps.

rdlangston13
02-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Yah I would think ratchet straps would prevent the platform bouncing

Sent from my iPhone