PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Ideas/Help

Medic901
02-13-2016, 11:21 PM
Alright all my Moomba peeps,
I bought my first Moomba, this summer will be two years ago, 2000 Mobius LS. It came with 4 speakers on the tower, one amp, and a 10" (off brand) subwoofer. I have since replaced the sub with a 12" Kicker Comp, that I am going to keep. Looking to replace everything else. I have read many other threads on here and have realized some of you guys are very sharp in this area. So my question is, with about a $1,000.00 budget when its done, what is a good set up? I would like to stay maybe with Kicker or Rockford Fosgate. I know I want to use something like the WS 420 for zone sound control. We spend most of our time inner tubing, knee boarding, and wake boarding, and of course the old man likes to slalom :D Music is a mix of rap and rock. Also what type of speaker wire is recommended. Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing the ideas and suggestions.

Matt Griffin

parrothd
02-14-2016, 12:57 AM
Buy a fresh air exhaust, everyone on your boat and the lake will appreciate it more..

MLA
02-14-2016, 09:14 AM
So my question is, with about a $1,000.00 budget when its done, what is a good set up?

The one that meets your goals. What i'm reading, you seem to be going down the path of a horn loaded compression driver tower setup. Rockford does make an HLCD tower pod, but compression driver is small in comparison to others and the pods overall power handling is low. Kicker offers the KMS67 HLCD. Its a true HLCD setup, just done a component setup. Its a 4 pod setup and Kicker offers 2 pod options. They offer a pair of double pods as well as you can go with 2 pair of single pods. They come in white and black. Amp wise, I suggest the KXM400.4. This package is likely going to eat up your initial budget.

Now, are you also looking to upgrade the in-boat speakers? You mention a sub, 4 speakers on the tower and only one amp. What amp is there and im gathering its driving the sub and tower speakers?

Medic901
02-14-2016, 09:21 AM
MLA,
The 4 speakers in the boat are kickers that are fairly new and sound good. I'm not sure about the amp that is there, it is an off brand and one of the channels is messed up on it. Yes it was driving the tower and sub.

The budget can be increased if I spread things out over several months.

Thanks for the input so far.

Matt

MLA
02-14-2016, 11:26 AM
I would leave the sub as is on what working chnls of that amp that the sub is currently on, just note, that if theres an issue with a single chnl now, it can eventually lead to a total amp failure, so an new sub am needs to be on the radar.

Now, when budget permits or that amp goes out for good, I would consider an amp for the 4 in-boats and sub. A 5 or 6 chnl like the Kicker KXM800.5, Wet Sounds HTX-6, Arc XDi series has two 5's and a 6, JL has a 5 chnl and a 6 chnl. Alll worth a look and the sub will be a determining factor.

trayson
02-14-2016, 10:00 PM
i would get these and drop them into your existing tower speaker cans as a great starting point...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KICKER-KM6500-2-6-1-2-Marine-KM-Series-HLCD-Tower-Component-Speaker-System-New-/140971853910?hash=item20d293c856:g:hkgAAOxyqKVRiWv G&vxp=mtr

Medic901
04-21-2016, 06:51 PM
Ok,
So I went with the Kicker KMS67 HLCD, Kenwood BT Marine Head Unit, Kicker KXM800.5 (Got a good deal, plus the ability to separately control the sub) and the Kicker ZXMRLC Dual-Zone Remotes. On the speakers, do you load the horns on the inside next to each other or on the outside away from each other? Also is anyone familiar with the ZXMRLC Dual-Zone Remotes setup? And finally any tips before I get into the installation? The boat is having some light mechanical work done at the shop right now so it will be a week or two before I get started. Thanks for the help.

Matt

MLA
04-21-2016, 07:11 PM
The compression drivers in the outer most pods may give you a wider spread.

Very familiar with the ZXM

Tips, yes, rely on your retailer for setup and tuning, they should be more than happy to help you with the necessary detailed settings.

trayson
04-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Go to walmart and get yourself a bag of polyfill (it's in the fabric section and used to stuff pillows with). Put some polyfill into your cans with the midrange speakers on the towers.

The compression drivers in the outer most pods may give you a wider spread.

Very familiar with the ZXM

Tips, yes, rely on your retailer for setup and tuning, they should be more than happy to help you with the necessary detailed settings.
I'll defer to the pros on the configuration. (but I did what was recommend above when I had four. so maybe I asked them and got the same recommendation.)
Here's a pic of how I did it when I had four:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sexXZBa6ci0/VEVgpELMY8I/AAAAAAAAYLE/F-la6TTMm10Xb6DkSTPX4myUw13XYJn6wCCo/s800-Ic42/GOPR1309.JPG

But now I have a 6 pack, so my mids are in the center with my tweeters between them. I did that for asthetics and symmetry. But I also painted my midrange grills black so they'd all blend better..
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4YQOWK0MGMM/VYegMRRgelI/AAAAAAAAZec/Z6ysLWN2rQ0TqxRYwjaV1S9I3J9SwTX-wCCo/s800-Ic42/GOPR0641%255B1%255D.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DAiJjpqkTzk/VTW6m-Qn70I/AAAAAAAAYpU/Qy9iqjH5EH0zsahu0dDnup0cRbiOQ3m3ACCo/s800-Ic42/20150420_194611.jpg

And I did LED's, but that's a whole other project!!!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uKxOWa1InYg/VTW61UMnznI/AAAAAAAAYp0/LnKJcQFMdUwz7nJfCEfIRy62QPyctxobQCCo/s800-Ic42/20150420_192757.jpg

beat taco
04-21-2016, 10:54 PM
Or sacrifice a pillow you already have

Medic901
04-22-2016, 11:41 AM
So I opened the box and the cans already have some type of polyfill in them. From your experience what does the polyfill help do?

trayson
04-22-2016, 11:52 AM
So I opened the box and the cans already have some type of polyfill in them. From your experience what does the polyfill help do?

The purpose of the polyfill is to make the enclosure seem bigger to the speaker than it is. It'll improve your midbass response. In subwoofer boxes, you use polyfill when you have a sealed enclosure that isn't quite as big as optimal.

Medic901
04-22-2016, 12:03 PM
I see. Thanks for the info!!!!!

David Analog
04-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Versus a subwoofer, in this particular case, the polyfill really won't change the lower midbass extension of a speaker in a can, however, the can is perfectly round so the internal standing waves reflected back at the cone are very coincidental at a particular frequency and can change the sonic signature of the speaker. The polyfill will help attenuate some of the issue and clean up the mids a bit. There's just enough benefit to leave it in.

Medic901
05-13-2016, 07:06 PM
Ok boat came back from shop today for some maintenance that needed done.So far I have the new head unit installed, new speakers on tower, new wires ran, have booked everything up and tested for power and sound. Now I am in the process of trying to figure out the place to mount the remotes for the zone controllers and sub level controller. Looking to see what ideas others have done. Thanks.

2000 Möbius LS