PDA

View Full Version : Raw water pump impeller install

Leirhiht
02-13-2016, 11:06 PM
Going to install my raw water pump impeller tomorrow morning and need some tips and advice and I have a few questions. Boat is hour drive away and want to cover this before I leave..
08 moomba mobius lsv. Bought pre-owned, idk if the previous owner had the legs of the impeller installed correctly or not.(see pic) 23447

Is this the correct direction of the legs? Is there only one way it will install? Looking at the illustration in the Johnson pump instructions and it is confusing. (See pic)23448
My raw water pump doesn't look like the instructions 23449
Mine has a hose on bottom and top.
Hope this is clear, want to get this finished so I can get on the lake Tomorrow.

Thanks!

parrothd
02-14-2016, 12:54 AM
You're fine, the impeller doesn't need to be installed in a particular direction, once you start the boat it'll work itself out.

Leirhiht
02-14-2016, 01:01 AM
You're fine, the impeller doesn't need to be installed in a particular direction, once you start the boat it'll work itself out.

Cool. Thank you. One other thing I forgot to mention, it states in the manual to shut the engine off if the RWP isn't feeding water to engine 30 secs from start up. How are you supposed to know if it's pumping water or not before its too late?

wolfeman131
02-14-2016, 01:44 AM
Watch the temp gauge.

jstenger
02-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Going to install my raw water pump impeller tomorrow morning and need some tips and advice and I have a few questions. Boat is hour drive away and want to cover this before I leave..
08 moomba mobius lsv. Bought pre-owned, idk if the previous owner had the legs of the impeller installed correctly or not.(see pic) 23447

Is this the correct direction of the legs? Is there only one way it will install? Looking at the illustration in the Johnson pump instructions and it is confusing. (See pic)23448
My raw water pump doesn't look like the instructions 23449
Mine has a hose on bottom and top.
Hope this is clear, want to get this finished so I can get on the lake Tomorrow.

Thanks!
As parrothd stated, there is no wrong way. Have you ran this boat yet? The vanes in the pic are in two directions. This usually happens when the impeller is put back in. They will fix themselves once ran.

kaneboats
02-16-2016, 11:47 AM
Hardest part is getting the old one out. Lots of us use a locking needlenose or two paint can openers. I like to spray a little WD in there and bump the engine over a few times after I have the cover off. Be VERY careful reinstalling the small brass cover screws. Just crush in the little gasket a bit and quit. Do not overtighten.

trayson
02-16-2016, 02:13 PM
I put a zip tie around the impeller and use that to pre-mend the vanes and then slide it into the pump and the zip tie will slide off the impeller. works pretty slick.