PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Board....lol

jtatexc
02-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Wondering if anyone else played with the idea? Me and a few buddies made a contest who could build the best board during the winter. April 1st....we ride. Mine is a total hunk of crap haha. I used super thin ply, eps 1/2" blue foam, fiberglass cloth then fiberglass filler resin to attempt to patch my horrible work haha. 2343723438

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
[/IMG]

jtatexc
02-12-2016, 07:00 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/12/771f27ce2d4fccf78d5048f76768e0a2.jpg

CRAZy440
02-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Very retro looking! Those yellow and black lines are hurting my eyes! lol

Can't wait to hear about the results.

I was thinking about making one, they are super expensive for what they are!

jtatexc
02-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Ya I'm in like 100 bucks or so, so I hope I at least get some fun footage. The foam is left over from the swim deck on my last boat so I figured what the hell, make the paint match.

kaneboats
02-16-2016, 11:42 AM
I think you may be in the running. From your description I was expecting something way worse looking than that. Should be a hilarious event. Be sure to get a specific person to shoot video and pics to document. You will likely be laughing for years.

sivs1
02-16-2016, 11:59 AM
so here's a question, could you use something like this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Tech-1-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-5-78-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-320817/202532855

then apply 1/4 inch plywood over top and bottom then wrap with fiberglass?

Could this be a HD or Lowes sourced build?

jtatexc
02-16-2016, 02:56 PM
That is basically what I did but with the thinner blue foam. I'm not sure of the differnce in the 2 for this purpose. I did not however sandwich them how you mentioned which is why I think i got some bubbling above the foam beneath the fiberglass cloth as it cured. I was just trying to keep it as thin and light as possible.

jtatexc
02-16-2016, 02:58 PM
And ya, this trip is gonna be a s#!t show haha. My other buddy had the bright idea to get a thicker ply and just stain shape and seal it. I am questioning if it will buoyant enough to hold someone up, guess we will see. My worry with mine is now speed. Before I put the extra resin on to level it, I was certain it would ride fast. Now a little heavier we will see.

icemanftr
02-16-2016, 05:55 PM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/R-Tech-1-1-2-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-R-5-78-Rigid-Foam-Insulation-320817/202532855

That would be a thick ass board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtatexc
02-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Ya that was what I thought too. Even surf style board are like 1.5". By the time you put that foam with fiberglass and all you're probably closer to 2.5"

icemanftr
02-16-2016, 07:26 PM
I have never done fiberglass work before. This thread interest me in trying this though. I'm a handy man so could probably wing it with some YouTube college. Would make for a great boat board for all the dipshits who fly off it and kick it into boat. Lol

jtatexc
02-16-2016, 10:33 PM
If you're handy you'll likely have a better product than me :) I had never done fiberglass either, there is definately a learning curve. I don't know if I'd want to pawn something homemade off on the dipshits, I'd probably put them on a cheap $100 craigslist board

muehlcj
02-17-2016, 08:04 AM

That is EPS so it should work. The stuff you linked to is faced. Try to find unfaced.

Surf or skim - neither has plywood laminated to bottom or top. If you are set on buying foam from hardware store. Buy the sheet, cut in half long way, glue a 2" tall full length 3-4 ply "stringer" in center and glue half of eps back together. Use clamps or turn on side and use weight to make sure you get good adhesion.

This will give you a "blank". Now use a piece of cardboard to trace out or draw your rail shape. Only one side. Use same template flipped on each side of foam so you get same rail shape. Transfer that to the foam with pencil. Cut shape with hand saw.

Create sanding block 2' x 3" and use 80 grit sand paper to "shape" the board. There are better tools and faster methods but let's keep it simple. You want to start on the bottom, create the rocker you want, and overall bottom shape.

Next shape the rails. This is tricky and should be done in a series of steps first removing the foam creating a series of straight cuts the. Rounding with sanding. For the purpose of keeping simple just try to sand to the shape you want. Keep in mind skim boards have a "hard" rail full length. So it should come to almost a 90 to the base. Surf style has a combination of round, 60/40, and hard rails. Do what you want on surf but make sure the last 18"-24" are a hard rail. Part of that will come in the glassing.

Cut in fin boxes with router. Glass in fin boxes.

Glass the board with 4oz or 6oz e-glass or s-glass. Should put at least one layer on bottom and 2 on top. Start with the bottom. You tube will help. Use resin research epoxy. You will have to sand laps between bottom and top. Then use paint brush or roller to put one more cost of epoxy on each side. Sand that cost to desires finish. Most likely matte is fine.

There is ALOT more to this but this should point you in the right direction.

You can also buy an actual eps blank ILO using foam from lowes or HD for less then $100.

Let me know if you have any questions.

sivs1
02-17-2016, 09:11 AM
That is awesome feedback, maybe we all try to become novice board makers just like we try surf gates with out ghetto gates and our homemade FAE type devices. I think this can be very doable just a matter of taking the time and learning new skills.

icemanftr
02-17-2016, 11:27 AM
That is EPS so it should work. The stuff you linked to is faced. Try to find unfaced.

Surf or skim - neither has plywood laminated to bottom or top. If you are set on buying foam from hardware store. Buy the sheet, cut in half long way, glue a 2" tall full length 3-4 ply "stringer" in center and glue half of eps back together. Use clamps or turn on side and use weight to make sure you get good adhesion.

This will give you a "blank". Now use a piece of cardboard to trace out or draw your rail shape. Only one side. Use same template flipped on each side of foam so you get same rail shape. Transfer that to the foam with pencil. Cut shape with hand saw.

Create sanding block 2' x 3" and use 80 grit sand paper to "shape" the board. There are better tools and faster methods but let's keep it simple. You want to start on the bottom, create the rocker you want, and overall bottom shape.

Next shape the rails. This is tricky and should be done in a series of steps first removing the foam creating a series of straight cuts the. Rounding with sanding. For the purpose of keeping simple just try to sand to the shape you want. Keep in mind skim boards have a "hard" rail full length. So it should come to almost a 90 to the base. Surf style has a combination of round, 60/40, and hard rails. Do what you want on surf but make sure the last 18"-24" are a hard rail. Part of that will come in the glassing.

Cut in fin boxes with router. Glass in fin boxes.

Glass the board with 4oz or 6oz e-glass or s-glass. Should put at least one layer on bottom and 2 on top. Start with the bottom. You tube will help. Use resin research epoxy. You will have to sand laps between bottom and top. Then use paint brush or roller to put one more cost of epoxy on each side. Sand that cost to desires finish. Most likely matte is fine.

There is ALOT more to this but this should point you in the right direction.

You can also buy an actual eps blank ILO using foam from lowes or HD for less then $100.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Go to reference here. Nice pointers man!

jtatexc
02-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Who has two thumbs and is not nearly as cool as muelhcj....this guy haha. That speaks to the art form that goes into shaping a board, hence all the "simplified" disclaimers in his post. Making a board is a real process. He went into the stuff that me being a hack didn't want to mess with. I had respect for board makers before my little venture and even more now. Yes there is money to be saved by making your own, especially in bulk, but time is also money and it takes a good amount of time. My hunk o crap was probably 8-10 hours??,one better I could only imagine. ..

muehlcj
02-17-2016, 06:33 PM
Who has two thumbs and is not nearly as cool as muelhcj....this guy haha. That speaks to the art form that goes into shaping a board, hence all the "simplified" disclaimers in his post. Making a board is a real process. He went into the stuff that me being a hack didn't want to mess with. I had respect for board makers before my little venture and even more now. Yes there is money to be saved by making your own, especially in bulk, but time is also money and it takes a good amount of time. My hunk o crap was probably 8-10 hours??,one better I could only imagine. ..

Haha - it is def an art. I could go on forever.

Some additional info/things to consider when shaping or designing:
Rocker - Noes to tail curvature. Simple way to measured put board bottom up and place a 4' level on bottom. Measure from level to board. Simple theory - less rocker more speed
Industry standard for surf style is 2" - 2.75" nose rocker and .25" to .5" tail rocker. Industry standard for skim is .25" to 1" nose rocker and little or no tail rocker.

Bottom contour - basically the shape of the bottom if you were to take slices left to right through the board. Skim boards from nose to tail are flat. Surf style from nose to tail are flat for first 12" or so transitioning into a subtle single concave through the mid section that reduces toward the tail. The concave bottom will create lift guide the water out the back of the board past the fins

Rail shape - from nose to tail the straighter the rail the more speed. One reason you see more blunt nose surf style boards now is that it straightens the rail and makes a 4-6" ride more like a 4-8"

Rail profile - the harder the rail the more it will engage the face of the wave. Skim boards need hard rails because they have very little fin and need to rely on the rail to grip. Hard rails hinder speed.

Foil - the distribution of foam from nose to tail. Skim is pretty uniform. perhaps a little more underfoot. Surf increases from nose to about midsection and decreases out tail

Volume - wakesurf boards should be made out of 1.5 or 2# EPS foam. Most boards will be between 50" and 58". The resulting volume should be between 18L and 21L depending on style board, deck shape, the list goes on and on.

Keep in mind these are all very general statements and vary based on how they are combined with each other. Each item could be 10 pages. Start with your riding goals. I want to stomp big airs but I don't care so much about 360's or I like to cruise and throw some big slashes.......... when you have that figured out work backwards to the board that needs to be built.

We will save fins for another day.........................

jtatexc
02-17-2016, 08:08 PM
I notice there was no point made about the board warping due to uneven saw horses during curing. Perhaps another oversight on my behalf lmfao! I'll post videos of this event when the time comes, should be worth it's weight in gold