PDA

View Full Version : slalom binding placement

trayson
02-12-2016, 02:48 PM
How do I know what my stance should be with my bindings? When I got my ski, I just mounted the bindings on the middle set of holes of the ski, using the middle holes of the binding. this is how it turned out:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7uOdm2LUkVY/U_52lEkQwhI/AAAAAAAARrY/vPJg57IddHY/s800-Ic42/20140827_165328.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9k3Tn_YeRc0/U_52Zux5CiI/AAAAAAAARrQ/60QtvbX92Ng/s800-Ic42/20140827_165317.jpg

I'm not out running a course. just like to freeski at a pretty basic level.

BensonWdby
02-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Middle is generally a pretty safe bet I think. If you go to the mfg web site they might have recommended binding and fin settings for your ski.
If you are really interested I the art of tuning:

https://www.finwhispering.com/

Way more in here than just fin setup - a very good reference guide.

td_in_nc
02-14-2016, 09:25 AM
I just bought a new ski and bindings as well. When I spoke with them about binding locatioon, they said to set the bindings in the middle as you suggested then once you get a few runs in, play with the location of the bindings to see what you like.

jmvotto
02-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Start with the front binding first, middle location.

iwaterskihard
02-16-2016, 12:11 PM
How big is that ski? I'm betting your front binding should be at 29 1/2 or 30"?
Are you noticing something that makes it feel funny or not a comfortable ride. My bet is the fin is still stock on it too. If there is a wing on the fin I would just remove it if I was you. There's hardly any benefit of using it until you're skiing 22 - 28 off in a course.

What are you trying to achieve? That's the best question. Remember very small changes on a water ski can have drastic results! :)

trayson
02-16-2016, 12:28 PM
It's a 67 (I'm 5'10 and around 165-170).

I really haven't noticed anything per se. Just never gave it a thought since setting it up with the middle spots. And it's winter, so my mind wanders! LOL.

I only slalom when conditions are perfect. and I just cut around freeskiing. I don't have any goals other than getting out and having fun while getting more comfortable on the ski.

iwaterskihard
02-17-2016, 01:04 PM
Without maybe seeing some video of you skiing and seeing how you ride the ski my suggestion would be to let your mind wander because it's winter but to leave your ski alone! :)
Comfort on the ski is from the time you get up behind the boat until you either fall or let the handle go because you're tired.
As I stated yesterday minor changes can have major results. And if you don't know what needs changing or what you're you're wanting as a result of the change I would leave them be.
I know myself when skiing in the winter when the water is 10-20 degrees colder I remove the wing completely from my ski and set the bindings back a hole on the ski because of the amount of drag cold water has vs the less drag of warm water. Matter of fact I just adjusted my fin and put my wing back on last week because our water is warming up and the result if that is a faster ski. My bindings will get moved forward once the water hits 80 degrees here. Then all my changes will be done to fin & wing.
That however is a whole different ball game than a simple binding adjustment! :)