PDA

View Full Version : Bad spedometers

weirdo0521
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Not getting any reading out of one spedometer and an inaccurate reading on the other... Any suggestions?

Yellowmobius
06-27-2006, 12:59 PM
What year, make, model boat?

weirdo0521
06-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Ed G

can we rule out that you have tried the adjustment knobs?

Yes. No difference on the port side spedo, dial must be turned clockwise all the way to get any action on the starboard side.

lowdrag
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Assuming your boat is a newer model that uses a paddlewheel, that's the first thing I'd check since they both quit working but you can get one to read slightly if you turn the adjustment knob all the way. Get under the boat and spin it with your finger to see if it turns freely or is damaged. Could be that the bearing on the wheel is bad or hanging. I've heard people recommend in the past taping over the wheel or taking other measures to keep it from spinning on long trips to avoid wear since it doesn't have any water lubricating it. If that isn't it, I'd probably start checking the wiring starting from the sensor and working back to the dash.

weirdo0521
06-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by lowdrag

Assuming your boat is a newer model that uses a paddlewheel, that's the first thing I'd check since they both quit working but you can get one to read slightly if you turn the adjustment knob all the way. Get under the boat and spin it with your finger to see if it turns freely or is damaged. Could be that the bearing on the wheel is bad or hanging. I've heard people recommend in the past taping over the wheel or taking other measures to keep it from spinning on long trips to avoid wear since it doesn't have any water lubricating it. If that isn't it, I'd probably start checking the wiring starting from the sensor and working back to the dash.

I've checked the paddlewheel while elevated on the boat lift. Spins freely...Guess I'll have to check the wiring.