PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Moomba Outback V Questions

Skierdad
02-11-2016, 12:30 PM
Hello Everyone. Long time Moomba fan. I had hoped to someday buy a Mobius LS, but it wasn't meant to be and decided to purchase an 07 Outback V for the family. It is a deal I can't turn down. 1 owner, very low hours, excellent condition, etc...

I have owned I/O's and outboards but this will be my first true inboard (V-drive). I have been in the boat a few times and have driven it in the past as we are good friends. It has the trim plate and 1 ballast. I am a slalom skier and I am guessing it won't be long before my two young boys have wakeboards. For the time being though they plan to run behind the boat in a tube.

My questions. I know lots about props for outboards and I/O's, but nothing about inboard props. Anyone know what the standard prop is on there and what it is designed to do? More for wakeboarding than skiing? All purpose? What is about the shallowest to run the boat? I don't think I will be running it up on shore like previous boats, but do I need to anchor in 2 feet of water or more? Any other key things I should keep an eye on that is part of an V-drive that isn't on the outboards or I/O's?

Thank you in advance for all the help.

kaneboats
02-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Different dealers select slightly different "standard" props so the "standard" prop or the "stock" prop might not be the same for everybody, depending on things like typical use and even elevation. You will find that the lower pitched props are more for wakeboarding as they improve holeshot as ballast is added. Because you have a single ballast, not gravity III, I would suspect you have a 16 pitch or 17 pitch prop. Either would be fine for slalom and tubing. Feel free to post the numbers off it if you would like additional input.

As far as shallowest, I like to keep in at least 3 feet with my slightly bigger '08 LSV. But, I do beach the boat in the soft FL/GA sand on our river. I'm sure others will chime in on all of this.

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome! Please post pics of your new baby! We love pics around here.

KG's Supra24
02-11-2016, 01:02 PM
24" draft is what they have the boat listed at. 2' of water is going to be very close.

I'm about in line with Pat, If i see the depth finder go much below 3' when anchoring, I kill it .... Or really start yelling at the person thats back there :D

Check out the archives for more info on the boat ....

http://www.moomba.com/archive/07-outback-v

Congrats on the new ride! It may take some getting used to driving wise but I bet you end up loving the v-drive over the I/O.

jmvotto
02-11-2016, 05:38 PM
Where bouts are you from? that is the exact boat I started with and it is a great all around " crossover" boat. we did everything behind it. ski board, surf tube and swim . I think our standard prop was 13 x 17.5 . 3 feet would be my minimum especially giving the bottom, sand or rocks. don't want to bend the skegs or strut and shaft or prop. Congrats, I miss that boat, it drove like a sports cars with that low freeboard. post up some pics

Skierdad
02-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Thanks everyone. The boat is in storage about 225 miles away so I won't see it until probably April/May. In terms of location..I am in central North Dakota. The boat will primarily be used on a very large lake (Lake Sakakawea) but there will be times I may use it on other lakes that are smaller. We purchased a "lily aqua pad" as well as a 3 person tube for the kids. There are no racks on the tower so I am ordering wakeboard racks for 1 side and waterski racks for the other, although my buddy says there is plenty of space in the boat for those items. My only fear is that the boat will be too wide to get into the garage if I add the racks to it.

We only get about 3 months of summer up here so many boats can be 10 yrs old and still only have 150 hours on them. I guess that is the advantage of buying boats up here.

mmandley
02-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Welcome and congrats.

On your racks, the legal width is 10ft. The widest boats Moomba makes is 104 plus on the trailer you still have fenders sticking out.

I own a Mojo, much wider boat and I wouldn't expect any issues parking in a single wide garage. It might be a little tight but no real concern.

kaneboats
02-12-2016, 12:33 PM
that is the exact boat I started with and it is a great all around " crossover" boat. . . . I think our standard prop was 13 x 17.5 .

I would bet the boat came with the OJ 13.7 x 17.5. A great replacement would be the ACME 537 or 1161. They are 13.5 x 16 and give the same or better performance across the board with much better hole shot if you add any weight. See testing link below:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?15139-Prop-Test-Results-Part-2&highlight=prop+testing

trayson
02-12-2016, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone. The boat is in storage about 225 miles away so I won't see it until probably April/May. In terms of location..I am in central North Dakota. The boat will primarily be used on a very large lake (Lake Sakakawea) but there will be times I may use it on other lakes that are smaller. We purchased a "lily aqua pad" as well as a 3 person tube for the kids. There are no racks on the tower so I am ordering wakeboard racks for 1 side and waterski racks for the other, although my buddy says there is plenty of space in the boat for those items. My only fear is that the boat will be too wide to get into the garage if I add the racks to it.

We only get about 3 months of summer up here so many boats can be 10 yrs old and still only have 150 hours on them. I guess that is the advantage of buying boats up here.

If you're worried about clearance from the racks, really check out if they're honestly going to stick out any farther than the fenders. The tower tapers in a bit, so you might be just fine. Swivel racks might buy you some room and convenience too.

That said, Monster tower makes some really slick racks that pop off with a lever like their tower mirrors do.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SyCs3D9UL._SX522_.jpg
They are one of the frontrunners for me if I ever get a slalom ski rack because the way my ski is setup, I don't have any gap between the bindings so I have to have a slalom rack with forks that are wide enough to go on the outside of my bindings... A lot of the ebay ski racks are too narrow.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7uOdm2LUkVY/U_52lEkQwhI/AAAAAAAARrY/vPJg57IddHY/s640-Ic42/20140827_165328.jpg

As far as anchoring, get a good anchor (like the box anchor) with the stretchy Anchor Buddy. Then have a line off the bow that you can pull the boat in with and anchor it to the Shore Spike. When you want to get on/off the boat, you pull in to the shallower water, and then the anchor buddy pulls it back out deeper when you're done. I've found that if I beach it, the boat will never stay straight and the current always pushes the boat sideways and that risks banging your tracking fins. No bueno.

Gabbyg88
02-12-2016, 02:36 PM
Welcome and congrats.

On your racks, the legal width is 10ft. The widest boats Moomba makes is 104 plus on the trailer you still have fenders sticking out.

I own a Mojo, much wider boat and I wouldn't expect any issues parking in a single wide garage. It might be a little tight but no real concern.
It will fit in a single car garage. Here is a picture of my 07 OBV stuffed in my single car garage. The only thing I have to do besides put the tower tower is remove the trailer guide poles
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160212/9e9eddc8e9857d11bb599bbfd36f5966.jpg

I love my OBV! Especially are installing Prefect Pass last year. I am still working on the surface setup.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

trayson
02-12-2016, 02:42 PM
you guys have wider garage bays than me. on my 3rd bay, I'd literally be rubbing my trailer fenders on the trim of the garage opening.

Gabbyg88
02-12-2016, 02:45 PM
you guys have wider garage bays than me. on my 3rd bay, I'd literally be rubbing my trailer fenders on the trim of the garage opening.
Oh I rub mine to! :p

mmandley
02-12-2016, 02:48 PM

So you really have a 2 3/4 garage? LOL

I personally can't see not buying 2 car garage, but I know in some places those are luxury, at the very least I need 1 thats 23ft deep and 10 wide to squeeze my beast in.

trayson
02-12-2016, 03:01 PM

I personally can't see not buying 2 car garage, but I know in some places those are luxury, at the very least I need 1 thats 23ft deep and 10 wide to squeeze my beast in.

Yep, I'm slumming... my 3rd bay is 8' wide = standard width, not oversized. Certainly not possible for my boat! And with standard 8' ceilings in the house that means my garage door is 7' tall.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S0uRPMlx-b4/RqhSuSW93TI/AAAAAAAAQzo/3HyIWuc-E48/s640-Ic42/DSCF0057.JPG

Life is rough in the Ghetto. I don't know how I even wake up in the morning. the shame is overwhelming!

mmandley
02-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Yep, I'm slumming... my 3rd bay is 8' wide = standard width, not oversized. Certainly not possible for my boat! And with standard 8' ceilings in the house that means my garage door is 7' tall.

Life is rough in the Ghetto. I don't know how I even wake up in the morning. the shame is overwhelming!

Well I wasn't going to that extreme but how well does a Vehicle fir though that 3rd door if a boat wont? I know the boat is wider then a car but still. My couble wide door is only 20ft wide and I think that is small LOL. Maybe its just me LOL.

KG's Supra24
02-12-2016, 03:21 PM
You should feel shame .... It looks mighty green for Christmas lights to still be up. :p

trayson
02-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Well I wasn't going to that extreme but how well does a Vehicle fir though that 3rd door if a boat wont? I know the boat is wider then a car but still. My couble wide door is only 20ft wide and I think that is small LOL. Maybe its just me LOL.

hehehe. *takes a bow* Trayson's Drama at your service!

The Ridgeline fit in there. My tent trailer would fit in there.

My normal setup before I got the boat was to have the Audi and BMW in bays 1 and 2, and in the 3rd bay I'd have my Jeep with the motorcycle parked in front of it. And still had room for a ton of shelving and 2 workbenches. Of course I'd love bigger, but when I had my home built, they offered you up the plain vanilla basics and you could pay to upgrade what you wanted. I have a sewer easement on my property, so couldn't go any wider on the garage, which means I get my 12' wide RV parking on the side (which I almost didn't get because they had the 12' wide portion on the grass side and the 5' portion on the garage side. Only cost me $500 to flip my floorplan so I got the wider part of my yard where the garage was to give me the RV lane.

It was my first house, and I was making $40k a year and under 30 years old. So having things like a 3 car garage, gas fireplace, and A/C was mindblowing for me!

Gabbyg88
02-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Oh, trust me I regret not going with the 2 car garage. When we built the house never thought we would have a ski boat. My garage is 15' x 24' and the boat takes up most of it. Then again i didn't think we would be in the house longer then 5 yrs and here we 9 yrs later. Funny, we just looked at a house with a 3 garage. Boat won't fit because it was only 20' deep. Suck no one builds a house with a big enough garage.

trayson
02-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Oh, trust me I regret not going with the 2 car garage. When we built the house never thought we would have a ski boat. My garage is 15' x 24' and the boat takes up most of it. Then again i didn't think we would be in the house longer then 5 yrs and here we 9 yrs later. Funny, we just looked at a house with a 3 garage. Boat won't fit because it was only 20' deep. Suck no one builds a house with a big enough garage.

20' deep on my garage too. I completely agree. But I'm thankful to have as much garage and as much parking as I do. (the carport in the back yard for the boat helps a ton, haha)

kaneboats
02-16-2016, 11:28 AM
You guys should see Moombadaze's house. He and his wife bought a garage with a pool. Oh yeah, it has a house attached too. I turn green every time I see that garage. I have the same prob a lot of you do. 3 car but only 20 feet deep. Have to push the boat in and angle it to get it in there. Oh well, as long as the wife's car goes in the first bay we're all good.

trayson
02-16-2016, 12:38 PM
You guys should see Moombadaze's house. He and his wife bought a garage with a pool. Oh yeah, it has a house attached too. I turn green every time I see that garage. I have the same prob a lot of you do. 3 car but only 20 feet deep. Have to push the boat in and angle it to get it in there. Oh well, as long as the wife's car goes in the first bay we're all good.

LOL. We just made sure my wife drives the vehicle (F150 supercrew) that won't fit in the garage at all). So that means that my vehicles have to go in there! haha. But hey, she has factory remote start, so it softens the blow!