PDA

View Full Version : Summerizing....

CMAC21
02-07-2016, 03:15 PM
So this was my first off season with my boat, 06 lsv. I had it winterized at the dealership for 270.. Which is basically draining everything. No impeller change, or fluid change(oil/tranny). I'm changing the impeller now(I have no idea why I would pay 150 for someone to do what I'm doing in less than 1/2 hour).

So my question is this.... Is there anything other than hooking up the hoses and changing the oil that is supposed to be done???

I just can't justify spending over $200 to "summerize" the boat, especially when the local dealership is an hour away.

Thanks, you guys have helped a ton so far

sivs1
02-07-2016, 07:43 PM
Depending on what your dealer did will depend on what you need to do to summerize. I do my own winterization and basically leave it ready to hit the lake on any nice day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
02-07-2016, 11:51 PM
Most would recommend that you change the oil prior to winterizing.

sandm
02-08-2016, 08:52 AM
Depending on what your dealer did will depend on what you need to do to summerize. I do my own winterization and basically leave it ready to hit the lake on any nice day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

this :)
and wolfe is right, most will say change the oil in the winter before layover..

viking
02-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Damn that's alot of $$ to do nothing but pull the drain plugs and unhook a couple of hoses.
Most dealers will at least do an oil change but even at that it's still too much imo. That's why you'll find alot of us on here do our own and agree that an oil change in the fall is preferred so your read to go in spring.

kaneboats
02-08-2016, 11:19 AM
I change v-drive oil every season and also tranny fluid. They likely unhooked and drained your ballast too so you want to check all those connections. Same if you have a heater.

CMAC21
02-08-2016, 05:55 PM
They are suppose to drain engine and ballast, unhook and hook it back it. Run anti freeze then drain it, fog engine if necessary, drain engine back down, disconnect battery.

I know the ballast wasn't touched, everything was still hooked up with the bags. The hoses and plugs were out. It doesn't say anything about an oil change but I'm going to double check. I obviously haven't changed the oil before but I'm going to now. If any of you guys have insight on that to point me where to drain, that'd be awesome.

I thought it was pretty high for what they did

c h r i s
02-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Go to the How To section and look for several threads by DOCDRS I believe. Someone with more forum expertise than myself can probably post some links.

He sums it up pretty good and has links to videos. Last year was my first season with a v-drive and I was able to change fluids and winterize after carefully reading through all of his threads a few times. If your willing and able to Summerize your boat you shouldn't have any issues winterizing at the end of this season.

Lots of pointers in that section on which tools to buy for regular fluid changes too.

CMAC21
02-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Thanks chris, I appreciate it. I'll check it out