PDA

View Full Version : Battery tender, how do you do it?

5:00
02-03-2016, 01:15 PM
I just picked up an NOCO Genius G4 battery charger/tender. It will let me put on tender the two batteries for the XLV and one for each of my skis. It will be mounted on a post between the boat and skis. Looking forward to having this thing.

Question is I don't want to run a power cable under the cover then plug in two tenders which I have now. This way I can bring in the two tender leads and plug them into a port somewhere easily accessible on the boat.
I have good batteries and never had an issue on the boat anyway. I am thinking it is time to take better care of this investment and thinking of putting them on tender when not in use.

How do you do it and deal with power cables?

http://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/0000-Noco-G4-Genius-Battery-Charger---.jpg

MLA
02-03-2016, 01:57 PM
You need to get an estimate of how long the DC output leads would need to be, then consult with the charger manufacturer regarding the extension of those DC outputs. Id much rather have a 14ga extension cable strung under the cover, then extend the charger output leads to a point of effecting the chargers performance and safety.

02-03-2016, 02:41 PM
They offer 10' extensions on top of what comes with it. That is more than enough to get to everything in my boat house.
Good point though. I wouldn't add more than one, I may not even need that.

David Analog
02-04-2016, 02:30 PM
You need to get an estimate of how long the DC output leads would need to be, then consult with the charger manufacturer regarding the extension of those DC outputs. Id much rather have a 14ga extension cable strung under the cover, then extend the charger output leads to a point of effecting the chargers performance and safety.

I totally agree with MLA. I would much prefer you extend the AC cable versus extending all of the DC cables.

MJHSupra
02-04-2016, 06:47 PM
How much $$$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrothd
02-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I see a fire in your future.. Lol..

02-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Contacted them and waiting to hear back. They also claim to charge twice as fast as others with those thin cables. I will update when I hear back.
Got it on Amazon for $175. It got pretty much nothing but hundreds of great reviews.

parrothd
02-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Sounds really expensive. I'd rather buy 2-3 small ones, much easier and less hassle.. For my skies I always removed the batteries and connected them in parallel with one charger.. I use these..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=

zabooda
02-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Sounds really expensive. I'd rather buy 2-3 small ones, much easier and less hassle.. For my skies I always removed the batteries and connected them in parallel with one charger.. I use these..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=

X2. The NOCO unit looks like something used for an industrial charging station. The Battery Tenders have proven to me to be the best as I have had two other types that overcharged small batteries. They will keep batteries charged that are already close to fully charged and will not charge depleted batteries in a short period of time.