PDA

View Full Version : WTB - mojo speakers good enough to get me by...

c h r i s
02-02-2016, 06:12 PM
...for a season without an amp or other crazy stereo upgrades. Basically shot my budget on ballast and surf tabs this year for my '13 mojo. Stock stereo now, plan to upgrade next year but in the interim would like to add some sound to the tower to enjoy while hanging out at the slip and coves. Crazy color changing lights and eardrum piercing sound audible from the surf not unnecessary at this time. Let me know what you got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MLA
02-02-2016, 06:51 PM
.for a season without an amp

Unless your boat only has one pair of speakers now, then you will need an external amp for tower speakers.

sivs1
02-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Cheap options to get you by.

http://www.amazon.com/MCM-60-10021-Wakeboard-Two-Way-Speaker/dp/B008DJT5QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454455914&sr=8-1&keywords=wake+tower+speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMP3B-Channel-Waterproof-Amplifier/dp/B009IAP5OE/ref=pd_bxgy_422_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y10ER8ARQ54X953MVQ0

c h r i s
02-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Sadly MLA, I believe it does only have one pair of speakers.

Thanks sivs1, that's exactly what I needed. Pretty handy but Never wired an amp before. Is it basically plug and play?

sivs1
02-02-2016, 09:44 PM
It can be done in an afternoon. YouTube has a lot of videos to help. Does your tower already have wires? I have seen wireless speaker options but know nothing about them.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MLA
02-02-2016, 09:53 PM
An amp install is more in depth then plug and play

kaneboats
02-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Cheap options to get you by.

http://www.amazon.com/MCM-60-10021-Wakeboard-Two-Way-Speaker/dp/B008DJT5QK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454455914&sr=8-1&keywords=wake+tower+speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMP3B-Channel-Waterproof-Amplifier/dp/B009IAP5OE/ref=pd_bxgy_422_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0Y10ER8ARQ54X953MVQ0

OMG, let's take up a collection before you put those on your tower.

jmvotto
02-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Kane. You kill me. , yep don't waste the time or money. Go with out cuz it will sound like chit

KG's Supra24
02-03-2016, 12:20 AM
What amps are currently in the boat?

Does it have one pair of tower speakers now? Does it have 4 or 6 cabin speakers? Does it have a sub? I ask about all the speakers so you can maximize the amp setup, if one.

Do you have goal budget for this years upgrade?

There are a lot of good budget recommendations but more info is helpful.

c h r i s
02-03-2016, 01:09 AM
Looks like I've got some more research to do. No clue if it's pre wired. No tower speakers there now and no idea what kind of amps. Everything's stock, stock deck, no bow speakers, definitely no sub, no amp and I can't remember if there are 2 or 4 speakers by the cup holders in the cabin. I've budgeted $0, which is why I'm eyeing those chitty options, they've got to be better than nothing, right?

viking
02-03-2016, 09:04 AM
Looks like I've got some more research to do. No clue if it's pre wired. No tower speakers there now and no idea what kind of amps. Everything's stock, stock deck, no bow speakers, definitely no sub, no amp and I can't remember if there are 2 or 4 speakers by the cup holders in the cabin. I've budgeted $0, which is why I'm eyeing those chitty options, they've got to be better than nothing, right?

I'd vote NO they are not better than nothing. Quite frankly you'd be throwing your $$ away and take you 1 step backwards in relation to getting a complete system. Believe me - been there done that!! Save your $$.
If anything put your cash towards a set of bow speakers and a good amp. If your just floating a good cockpit/bow setup will get you through the summer and take you 1 step closer to a quality overall system. Just my .02

c h r i s
02-03-2016, 09:38 AM
Alright, I get it. I will say I Really want to be able to hear the tunes from the water while we are stopped without blowing eardrums of those In the cabin. Don't get a lot of use out of the bow. Thanks for everyone's .02.

kaneboats
02-03-2016, 10:25 AM
At minimum, get something like these and a little amp for your cabin setup:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651S/Polk-Audio-db651s.html?tp=95&awkw=75619572145&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439116425&awdv=c

I would also suggest you give Brian at Exile a call. He might have some demos of the old sxt65 tower speakers or know someone who is ready to trade up. I run two pairs of these on my tower and am still happy with them.

sivs1
02-03-2016, 11:13 AM
That's a good price on those Polk's. My LSV is all Kicker and sounds great, 6 cabin powered off the deck and 4 towers running off a simple 4 channel amp, JL Sub on a JL amp. My SA is all Polk, no sub, still sounds great. The setup I posted earlier sounds really good for the money, buddy went cheap on an old I/O and we were all blown away by hoe decent the sound was. Does not compare to Exile, Wet Sounds, Polk, JL and even Kicker, but tunes sounds good swimming.

trayson
02-03-2016, 12:31 PM
What amps are currently in the boat?

Does it have one pair of tower speakers now? Does it have 4 or 6 cabin speakers? Does it have a sub? I ask about all the speakers so you can maximize the amp setup, if one.

Do you have goal budget for this years upgrade?

There are a lot of good budget recommendations but more info is helpful.

This. You really need to tell us EXACTLY what you have now. down to the model of the deck.

And saying a budget is zero means that we'll be telling you to go shoplifting. So seriously, give us any dollar figure you can justify parting with and we'll help you best utilize it. I mean, gas right now is so ridiculously cheap that you're going to be boating for half price. Just give us a number and be honest about it.

You've got a wakeboat that'll well north of $50k. do you really want to have an 80's boom box duct taped to the tower? Do you really want to get garbage speakers that you'll throw away next year? At least give us the chance to give you options you can build on.

KG's Supra24
02-03-2016, 12:36 PM
I mean, gas right now is so ridiculously cheap that you're going to be boating for half price. Just give us a number and be honest about it.

Last week I helped a buddy rationalize a big purchase .... we settled on "I could have spent the money on crack but I didn't."

kaneboats
02-03-2016, 01:43 PM
A great sound system IS crack.

sivs1
02-03-2016, 03:03 PM
This. You really need to tell us EXACTLY what you have now. down to the model of the deck.

And saying a budget is zero means that we'll be telling you to go shoplifting. So seriously, give us any dollar figure you can justify parting with and we'll help you best utilize it. I mean, gas right now is so ridiculously cheap that you're going to be boating for half price. Just give us a number and be honest about it.

You've got a wakeboat that'll well north of $50k. do you really want to have an 80's boom box duct taped to the tower? Do you really want to get garbage speakers that you'll throw away next year? At least give us the chance to give you options you can build on.

Love it, in all seriousness, true!

kaneboats
02-03-2016, 03:19 PM
Might also look in the classifieds on here for items like this that haven't sold-- you may find a diamond in the rough:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?27248-Kicker-speakers-for-sale

viking
02-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Everything's stock, stock deck, no bow speakers, definitely no sub, no amp and I can't remember if there are 2 or 4 speakers by the cup holders in the cabin. I've budgeted $0

And saying a budget is zero means that we'll be telling you to go shoplifting. So seriously, give us any dollar figure you can justify parting with and we'll help you best utilize it.

Sounds like all he has is the deck running a pair (or 2) in boats. That's what my comments were based on...........
Agree a REAL number for a REAL budget is a must!

c h r i s
02-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Guys, the budget really is $0. I'm spending a good chunk of change to get it into surfing shape, I really am not too concerned about having a pimped system; rather was hoping to pick up someone's leftovers that has/is planning an upgrade themselves this year. I want something functional so my toddler doesn't loose his hearing in the cabin when everyone floating in the drink wants the tunes turned up. Again, appreciate everyone's input you've given me more to think about. If anyone does have some towers and/or amp they want to sell I'd be interested.

trayson
02-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Guys, the budget really is $0. I'm spending a good chunk of change to get it into surfing shape, I really am not too concerned about having a pimped system; rather was hoping to pick up someone's leftovers that has/is planning an upgrade themselves this year. I want something functional so my toddler doesn't loose his hearing in the cabin when everyone floating in the drink wants the tunes turned up. Again, appreciate everyone's input you've given me more to think about. If anyone does have some towers and/or amp they want to sell I'd be interested.

Well, if the budget is zero, then I guess that's what you'll get. Zero.

???

But if anyone has towers or an amp to sell, then how are you going to buy them with a zero budget? I don't understand.

What's so hard about saying that to get yourself by, you could spend $40. or $55? or $100?

If your budget is genuinely zero, are you really saying that you are looking for people to GIVE you equipment? Should I pay the shipping too?

I'm not trying to be harsh. But if you give me a number other than zero, then I can genuinely give you some recommendations. I'm pretty savvy at making budget systems, and doing so where you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Heck, my first boat had 4 kenwood 2-way speakers running on deck power from an inexpensive kenwood deck with USB/Aux. It wasn't spectacular. but it was all at least a recognizable brand name that people didn't associate with dog poo. so I was able to either build on those components, or at the very minimum I was able to re-sell them on CL because the stuff had a reasonable brand.

You'd be surprised what I could dig up for $50 options. Or $100 options. Or $250 options.

Beyond that, I guess stand out at the boat ramp with a cardboard sign that says "Will Surf for Tunes".

KG's Supra24
02-03-2016, 05:45 PM
Guys, the budget really is $0 ..... If anyone does have some towers and/or amp they want to sell I'd be interested.

You are going to have to be a tough negotiator. LOL

I think the goal is understood. Tower speakers needed ....

1. You need to find out if the tower is prewired. Wire will be needed if not.
2. If not wanting an amp, you will need to run the towers to the stereo deck. To do this, you will want to unplug 2 of the 4 speakers in the cockpit so the head unit is only pushing 4 speakers, not 6. I think this is walking down the long road, though.
3. I think you can find empty pods for approx 120 and maybe pick up a free set of speakers someone is offloading. Likely going to be hard to find free podded speakers.

Honestly, though, you are talking about a decent amount of work for an end result you will end up changing. You might be better off setting a waterproof bluetooth speaker on the sunpad when hanging out.

Keep your eye on the classifieds ... seems like lots of people are buying new boats right now. Maybe something will come up. You gotta know what you want/need though. I personally wouldn't go through the hassle of wiring tower audio without an amp to drive them. And in a $0 budget, don't forget to think about wiring costs.

trayson
02-03-2016, 05:53 PM
KG and I are sharing the same brain on this thread.

Preach it brother!

sivs1
02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
few more options, better brands this time: plenty of options, but like everyone has said. invest in something now or later. Cheap is not the best way to go as you'll have to rip it all out and try to sell to recoup money or just add it to the dumpster.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-Audio-6-5-Wakeboard-Tower-Speakers-Black-NEW-/201515834659?hash=item2eeb479d23:g:LD4AAOSwuMFUgno m

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wet-Sounds-6-5-Wakeboard-Tower-Speakers-Black-NEW-/201516484810?hash=item2eeb5188ca:g:NMwAAOSwBahVdK-x

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Wakeboard-Tower-Speakers-6-5-NEW-Black-UTV-JEEP-RZR-CART-MM651um-/191617037886?hash=item2c9d43f63e:g:5b0AAOSwDNdVh~o c

moombadaze
02-03-2016, 06:13 PM
r. Cheap is not the best way to go as you'll have to rip it all out and try to sell to recoup money or just add it to the dumpster.

been there, done that. more expensive than if I had just saved up and did it right the first time---5 yrs later in the dumpster some of it went

russellsmojo
02-03-2016, 07:18 PM
I have heard of this awesome guy named Brian at exile. How do I reach him?

jstenger
02-03-2016, 07:26 PM
If and when you decide to add an amp and speakers, look at install pics. Since you have the bone stock system with no amps, then chances are that you do not have an amp board either. Ask for measurements, or find another Mojo to measure. The board is simple to make and easy to install. It is just 1/2" Starboard with carpet wraped around it. You will need wire and a fuse block which will be dictated by the amp you get. For reference, this is my install.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd382/Joestenger/20141223_153402.jpg (http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/Joestenger/media/20141223_153402.jpg.html)

Good luck.

KG's Supra24
02-03-2016, 07:31 PM
If we are throwing out cheap options .....

http://www.bulletlines.com/Krypt-6-5-Wakeboard-Tower-Speakers-p/76.htm

If you get a hold of Ken over at Bulletlines, tell him your situation, you could find yourself with the linked speakers for under $150 pretty easy I'd think.

Track down a 4 channel amp for 100'ish and you could power the in boats and tower.

IMO, I wouldn't spend much money on "good" 6.5" tower speakers ... again, they are likely to get replaced.

KG's Supra24
02-03-2016, 07:36 PM

PM brianinpdx. I'd expect him to ask for dollars in exchange for speakers but crazier things have happened.

russellsmojo
02-03-2016, 08:55 PM
PM brianinpdx. I'd expect him to ask for dollars in exchange for speakers but crazier things have happened.

Haha. Thanks.

mmandley
02-03-2016, 09:18 PM

If you have any issues with contacting Brian, can be hard at times, let me know.

c h r i s
02-03-2016, 10:12 PM
Funny guys. To be clear, I don't expect anything for free, but can see how I came off as a free loader based on my responses.

Point was I had not BUDGETED any dollars for sound...just wanted cheap options, ideally used from other fellow Moomba members. Didn't have a clue what they might be worth to others who may have had something and I've never been one to negotiate against myself.

Ideally I'd like to stay under $200 but based on what I'm hearing I'll probably just punt the idea this season and hit the brain trust up for help next year when I have a real budget.

I've got what I was looking for and them some. Thanks everyone. And Trayson, if I had feelings, you would have hurt them you harsh SOB.

BamaMojo
02-03-2016, 11:42 PM
...for a season without an amp or other crazy stereo upgrades. Basically shot my budget on ballast and surf tabs this year for my '13 mojo. Stock stereo now, plan to upgrade next year but in the interim would like to add some sound to the tower to enjoy while hanging out at the slip and coves. Crazy color changing lights and eardrum piercing sound audible from the surf not unnecessary at this time. Let me know what you got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What part of the world do you reside? There are good Moomba peeps all over that would be glad to show you what they have and prob even give you a pull or two so you can hear the diff brands / styles while on the water. These guys are great, Trayson will grow on you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking
02-04-2016, 12:56 AM
setting a waterproof bluetooth speaker on the sunpad when hanging out.

Quite frankly this is probably the most inexpensive and easiest solution and won't end in gear you have to toss.
A few summers ago mid year I had amp issues and had to send Both in at same time for warranty work. Used one of these for better part of the season.
We still use it all summer long while camping or around the house with phones/tablets. Not a bad investment!!

icemanftr
02-04-2016, 01:25 AM
At minimum, get something like these and a little amp for your cabin setup:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651S/Polk-Audio-db651s.html?tp=95&awkw=75619572145&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439116425&awdv=c

I would also suggest you give Brian at Exile a call. He might have some demos of the old sxt65 tower speakers or know someone who is ready to trade up. I run two pairs of these on my tower and am still happy with them.

One of my favorite speakers when on a budget or over factory in cars etc. Can be had for a lot cheaper on Amazon too. All Polk equipment is marine certified too. Unlike other brands that label auto and marine to jack up prices by a cheap ass coating they use and change the exterior.

c h r i s
02-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Quite frankly this is probably the most inexpensive and easiest solution and won't end in gear you have to toss.
A few summers ago mid year I had amp issues and had to send Both in at same time for warranty work. Used one of these for better part of the season.
We still use it all summer long while camping or around the house with phones/tablets. Not a bad investment!!

Good point, this is probably the angle I'll take so we can use it at the pool and cabin too...I just have visions of it getting knocked or thrown I. The drink by one of the kids!

c h r i s
02-04-2016, 10:23 AM
What part of the world do you reside? There are good Moomba peeps all over that would be glad to show you what they have and prob even give you a pull or two so you can hear the diff brands / styles while on the water. These guys are great, Trayson will grow on you!

We boat on the west side of Tablerock just N of the Arkansas border. Mostly Mastercraft in our area but I see a fellow Moomba owner on occasion. As for Trayson, I've been lurking a long time and know he means well, it's all good! Will start sifting through the sound threads now so I know where to set the bar on next years "budget".

viking
02-04-2016, 10:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3YF4SS?psc=1

This is the one we have. It's waterproof, floats, has a carabiner to secure it, fits in cupholders, ect..... Very versatile and quite frankly was impressed with the sound from such a small package. Black or Grey is under $50

wolfeman131
02-04-2016, 11:50 AM
strap this to the tower

c h r i s
02-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Man, I can't afford that either

zabooda
02-04-2016, 01:56 PM
First thought was a Bluetooth speaker. I use my Bose all the time when I want some music. I prefer the Bose on the beach instead of the boat stereo as it is less harsh if you are directly behind the boat.

icemanftr
02-04-2016, 02:29 PM
strap this to the tower

😂😂😂😂

trayson
02-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Funny guys. To be clear, I don't expect anything for free, but can see how I came off as a free loader based on my responses.

Point was I had not BUDGETED any dollars for sound...just wanted cheap options, ideally used from other fellow Moomba members. Didn't have a clue what they might be worth to others who may have had something and I've never been one to negotiate against myself.

Ideally I'd like to stay under $200 but based on what I'm hearing I'll probably just punt the idea this season and hit the brain trust up for help next year when I have a real budget.

I've got what I was looking for and them some. Thanks everyone. And Trayson, if I had feelings, you would have hurt them you harsh SOB.

We boat on the west side of Tablerock just N of the Arkansas border. Mostly Mastercraft in our area but I see a fellow Moomba owner on occasion. As for Trayson, I've been lurking a long time and know he means well, it's all good! Will start sifting through the sound threads now so I know where to set the bar on next years "budget".

Well didn't mean to come off that intense...

Honestly, I was trying to Crank up my persuasion skills to eleven in hopes that you would give me enough info to help you out. Maybe I poked you a little, but hopefully you can see that I I working pretty hard to get something out of you so I could help ya.

My motivation was honestly altruistic.

KG's Supra24
02-04-2016, 05:46 PM
altruistic.

adjective - showing a disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others; unselfish.

nice word

dusty2221
02-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Yeah, that's a good one.

c h r i s
02-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Indeed, probably worthy of all Caps

Consider me persuaded!

mmandley
02-04-2016, 08:14 PM
adjective - showing a disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others; unselfish.

nice word

This thread is getting better and better all the time.

trayson
02-05-2016, 02:00 AM
---time for a group hug---

Okay, that said, did we ever find out how many in boat speakers you have? 2 or 4? Are they all in the main cabin or do you have some in the main cabin and some in the bow? Do you have an amplifier at all, or are your speakers currently running off deck power?

I still have a couple ideas I'd like to throw out for ya, but I'm still foggy on the basics of your setup... (my apologies if I missed these answers, I was too busy trying to stomp on your feelings! (just kidding!))

dusty2221
02-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Group hug, nah come on Trayson! Don't be farcical, this is the Moomba forum!

c h r i s
02-05-2016, 08:57 AM
far·ci·cal
ˈfärsək(ə)l/
adjective
of or resembling a farce, especially because of absurd or ridiculous aspects.

"a farcical tangle of events"

synonyms:ridiculous, preposterous, ludicrous, absurd, laughable, risible, nonsensical

c h r i s
02-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Trayson man, lets hit the pause button. I'm just gunna rock the ghetto blaster this season and focus on the surf. I'll do it right next season when I'm able to talk the wife into throwing a couple grand at it (I "had" to buy a truck this year to haul the boat too).

Everyone's right, even if a pair of cheap towers feel into my lap, I'm not going to want to have to jack with two seasons worth of installs/upgrades.

Kumbayah brother, kumbayah

kaneboats
02-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Sounds like you guys have anatomized this enough. Time to decamp from this thread. Wouldn't want to continue to vex poor C H R I S. After all, this thread is supposed to be efficacious in helping the OP achieve the ends to which he aspires.

mikenehrkorn
02-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Sounds like someone swallowed a dictionary :)

Either that or has aspirations of becoming a politician!!

jstenger
02-05-2016, 11:25 AM
---time for a group hug---

Okay, that said, did we ever find out how many in boat speakers you have? 2 or 4? Are they all in the main cabin or do you have some in the main cabin and some in the bow? Do you have an amplifier at all, or are your speakers currently running off deck power?

I still have a couple ideas I'd like to throw out for ya, but I'm still foggy on the basics of your setup... (my apologies if I missed these answers, I was too busy trying to stomp on your feelings! (just kidding!))
4 cabins, no bow, no amp, no amp wiring, no tower wiring.

trayson
02-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Trayson man, lets hit the pause button. I'm just gunna rock the ghetto blaster this season and focus on the surf. I'll do it right next season when I'm able to talk the wife into throwing a couple grand at it (I "had" to buy a truck this year to haul the boat too).

Everyone's right, even if a pair of cheap towers feel into my lap, I'm not going to want to have to jack with two seasons worth of installs/upgrades.

Kumbayah brother, kumbayah

I wasn't going to suggest anything ridiculous. Really, I wasn't even thinking tower speakers.

My first boat came with exactly what you have--4 in boat speakers and a deck. I added a used car stereo amp to the cabin speakers. Then later I scrounged enough money for another used car amp and a 10" sub. Bought a prefab box that was already covered with bedliner. Finally, I added a 3rd amp and a pair of tower speakers. But it was one step at a time and even with just adding the one amp, it was a nice improvement.

4 cabins, no bow, no amp, no amp wiring, no tower wiring.

With that, keeping in mind an improvement, but not wanting to go overboard, my suggestion would have been to simply put a class D amp on the in boat speakers and call it good for now. Power them with the PPI P600.2 which you can get for just over a hundred bucks. that leaves you wiggle room for the wiring. It's an amp that will make your cabins perform a lot better. And then next season you could easily build on it or repurpose it to power the tower speakers.

https://jet.com/product/detail/df293a3de50847d3b051654bb08c225a?jcmp=pla:ggl:vehi cles_parts_a1:vehicle_parts_accessories_motor_vehi cle_electronics_motor_vehicle_amplifiers_a1_other: na:na:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&k_clickid=1be23165-31f4-fb48-f27f-000015ee9bee&abkId=403-497742&gclid=CjwKEAiArdG1BRCLvs_q-IObwxMSJACXbLtzYRza4fn7K7lxwmXFy1Hqgw4_0zuSZKT42a8-VULUGBoC10vw_wcB
15% off your first order with "15NOW" code.

If everyone's sold on some stand-alone Bluetooth thingy, that's cool. It's just not the direction I'd go. I'd use the factory boat stereo before that because it's already there.

Anyway, I really don't have a stake in all of this--I was really just trying to do what this site is supposed to be about: "Help and Knowledge through sharing".

Good Luck.