PDA

View Full Version : Officially Official, I am headed to the SE

mmandley
01-28-2016, 02:00 PM
No Not the SUPRA SE < how many of you thought that? > LOL

As of today its official we will be relocating to GA, basically Norcross which is 45 minutes north of Atlanta.

Claudia's company has bought their biggest competitor and she has been promoted to Sr. Manager and has been traveling back and forth for the last 4 months.

Her career is progressing and mine at Intel has been a little lack luster at best for forward movement.

We are of course Bringing big Wave Making, Tune Blaring Mojo back to its home roots of the South.

Our house goes on the market in 4-6 weeks, then after its sold and in Escrow Claudia will moved to GA and start the house hunt. I will leave after everything is done here in OR, I expect to be in the south after 4th of July.

We care keeping this a little hush from Public Media until the house is officially sold, but I wanted to tell my Moomba / Supra family since so many are in the SE already. Should be a great journey and I can spend more time with my fellow boat family.

Anyhow the plan is a lake home on the water front with the boat in a lift.
Looking into Lift systems already, a couple of the guys here already about us relocating.

jelmhorst
01-28-2016, 02:34 PM
So which lake will be the one to get the wave-making tune blaring Mojo?! Allatoona, Lanier or a little further trek to Oconee, Sinclair or other? Lanier will have the most options without question, they have about 11k dock permits as opposed to Allatoona which has less than 1k.

sivs1
01-28-2016, 02:35 PM
Congrats, take some time and stop along the way to try out different lakes. If you plan on towing the boat cross country you'll have a number of mandatory stops for inspections. Idaho, Wyoming and I believe CO and NM do border inspections starting in March or April. Good luck with the sale of the home and can't wait to see pics of the lake house.

mmandley
01-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Thanks guys, I do hope to stop along the way for a couple special Lake drops.

As fare as lakes we are actually looking at Sinclair, Oconee, Hartwell, and Jackson.

Lanier would be great and is best suited for us but prices might keep us off the water front, and one of my must haves for this relocation is water front property.

Lots of plans still have to be made but it should be a great journey.

sandm
01-28-2016, 04:28 PM
congrats. makes a trip to the south that much more attractive to spend another day on the tune blaring, wave making mojo. hope you have a true surf rope and not a makeshift waterski rope from the maiden surf voyage :)

KG's Supra24
01-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Congrats! Look out Georgia.

I hear Arkansas has the best lakes if you are looking for places to drop the boat along the way :p

Drew probably has enough room for ya'll to live with him while you search for a place. :o :o

But seriously, congrats to Claudia, and good luck with the transition.

zabooda
01-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Congrats on the move. I know Idaho will want 23 bucks for an out of state invasive species sticker if you plan to drop it in the water.

mmandley
01-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Congrats! Look out Georgia.

I hear Arkansas has the best lakes if you are looking for places to drop the boat along the way :p

Drew probably has enough room for ya'll to live with him while you search for a place. :o :o

But seriously, congrats to Claudia, and good luck with the transition.

HAHA I wouldn't mind stopping in the Ark and seeing things, doubtful I live with Drew for any longer then a day or over night. I think he has rules, and I don't conform to those too well LOL. I do look forward to seeing him on one of my trips to scout things out. Hope to get a ride on his boat. Claudia has spent a lot of time scouting while she is down there but we were waiting for me to go until we knew more about it.

What I noticed that is nice is, SOO much is only a few hours away. I expect we will have plenty to do with all those HOT days other then boating as well. In OR suns out boats out is how we normally do it. LOL

wolfeman131
01-28-2016, 06:35 PM
doubtful I live with Drew for any longer then a day or over night. I think he has rules, and I don't conform to those too well LOL.

you wouldn't even make it past the guardhouse . . . .

glad it's finally, "official, official" and look forward to seeing you sweat in HOTLANTA!

CFD3Captain
01-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Congratulations on the move and lake house! There is a lot of boating weather down there in GA. I am jealous to say the least!

mmandley
01-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Congratulations on the move and lake house! There is a lot of boating weather down there in GA. I am jealous to say the least!

Thanks its all a dream until I have it, but I will keep yall posted.

Yea between the guard house and the HOA Baby sign I would be refused admittance.

Drew I look forward to sweating in Hotlanta, it can't be any worse then TX Jam, besides I did live in Tampa for a short bit, my joke about that place was, wring out the towel then use it to dry off.

13mobiusLSV
01-28-2016, 08:27 PM
Congrats Mike. Safe travels on the trip east.

onebadssv
01-28-2016, 11:14 PM
You'll have to visit lake blue ridge after the move, it's a gem! Smooth water and good people!

smorris7
01-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Well, it's alittle closer to TX! Congrats. You wont know how to act in warm water..😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking
01-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Congrats! Of course pictures are mandatory............

Not envious of you having to pack everything up and move. I hate moving. We are starting the building process again and going to have to do it in the next year or 2 so inevitable. But only have to haul everything about 50 miles. Still not looking forward to it.
But I am Jealous of the lakefront living you will potentially have. A dream of mine since I was a kid. Happy for you guys!!

patrick232
01-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Congrats on the move, I'm sure you can find IT work around there. Check into NCR, they are one of my customers on the north side

rca
01-29-2016, 12:16 PM
Congratulations to you both! Sounds like a great move.

moombadaze
01-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Well, that's some news. Look forwards to meeting in person at some point

kaneboats
01-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Very exciting times. Congrats to Claudia. Maybe you can just retire and give surfing lessons? :cool: Looking forward to spending some time with you guys again. We'll have to get the Georgia Jam going again and I promise you will love Lake Martin in Alabama. Not too far away.

mmandley
01-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Congrats! Of course pictures are mandatory............

Not envious of you having to pack everything up and move. I hate moving. We are starting the building process again and going to have to do it in the next year or 2 so inevitable. But only have to haul everything about 50 miles. Still not looking forward to it.
But I am Jealous of the lakefront living you will potentially have. A dream of mine since I was a kid. Happy for you guys!!

This is were its nice, we only need to pack, her Company is providing 10K to move everything, so they are paying moving the furniture, ship the Vette in an enclosed semi, and all the costs associated to moving her car, truck and boat to GA.

Couldn't happier.

kaneboats
01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
I'll pop out there and drive the vette back to the ATL for you if you need me to.

sandm
01-29-2016, 04:12 PM
kane, that's a long drive to make solo. perhaps you would need a copilot/navigator as well? just so happens i'm available...

I do believe the shortest route goes thru The Dragon :)

mmandley
01-29-2016, 04:59 PM
I am looking forward to taking it through the Dragon

patrick232
01-29-2016, 06:00 PM
I am looking forward to taking it through the Dragon

If you come up for that I'll bring the camaro down.when done we can head over to the devils triangle just west of Knoxville. We did the tail last summer, go early you can enjoy it more.

mmandley
01-29-2016, 10:16 PM
If you come up for that I'll bring the camaro down.when done we can head over to the devils triangle just west of Knoxville. We did the tail last summer, go early you can enjoy it more.

We will deff set something up for that.

I have a few more upgrades to the Vette, this year I finally got the new rims and tires, been looking into changing the stance but not sure the route I want to go yet.

deerfield
01-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Mike - Norcross is an easy drive to Talladega Superspeedway, as well as Tuscaloosa where you can live an out of body experience at an Alabama football game. Congratulations! - Stuart

mmandley
01-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Mike - Norcross is an easy drive to Talladega Superspeedway, as well as Tuscaloosa where you can live an out of body experience at an Alabama football game. Congratulations! - Stuart

OMG I cant even tell you how much I know about Alabama Football.

We got this temp guy at night who went to Auburn but claims Crimson Tide and I listened to him all season go on and on LOL.

I will be at some speedways, I always will be able to watch my Panthers Live in B of A stadium.

I plan to introduce Claudia to drag racing, mud racing, tractor pulls, Professional Football, and lots of other things. The thing about the east is everything cool is less then 12 hours away.

With it being so much warmer, we don't have to spend all summer just boating, we can actually do other things when its nice out because we have such a longer season.

We are both really looking forward to it, for me, the only real drawback is Humidity, but I'll get used to it again. Other then that it would be all the time off I get from Intel, its really nice only working 14 days a month, but then again it will be nice to work all day, yet be able to still go see a movie, go out to dinner, catch an evening surf set because I won't be working 13 hour shifts.

rdlangston13
01-30-2016, 01:22 PM
No NASCAR for Claudia???

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
01-30-2016, 02:50 PM
No NASCAR for Claudia???

Sent from my iPhone

Ohh yea we will goto a Race, she is willing to try everything once at least LOL

rdlangston13
01-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Heidi was hesitant until I told her you can bring your own cooler of beer in to the track. Now she is almost excited about trying it out

Sent from my iPhone

beat taco
02-01-2016, 12:50 AM
What the.....

BamaMojo
02-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Congrats Mike! Be safe, when you end up heading over to Lake Martin give me a heads up, would love to buy you a beer at Chucks!

moombadaze
02-01-2016, 11:30 AM
Congrats Mike! Be safe, when you end up heading over to Lake Martin give me a heads up, would love to buy you a beer at Chucks!

and I'll buy the second round on July 24th

BamaMojo
02-01-2016, 11:32 AM
and I'll buy the second round on July 24th

Well, looks like I now have that weekend planned!

mmandley
02-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys, when it gets closer to traveling I am thinking of a thread with routes I might take, would love to stop along the way and meet some of the great people here.

Also I will need to be filled in on all the great events, and get togethers yall do in the south.

trayson
02-02-2016, 12:20 PM
This is were its nice, we only need to pack, her Company is providing 10K to move everything, so they are paying moving the furniture, ship the Vette in an enclosed semi, and all the costs associated to moving her car, truck and boat to GA.

Couldn't happier.

I would think that if they're providing a flat $10k, that would be drained with just moving the a couple of the vehicles. shipping a car enclosed increases the price a lot. I'd be curious to know how the costs of moving everything shakes out...

And of course sad to see you go from this area, but excited for new opportunities.

Oh, and I think you need to start downsizing for the move... So we can meet up anytime and I'll take that XLV banner off your hands so you don't have to hassle with moving it.

mmandley
02-02-2016, 01:05 PM
I would think that if they're providing a flat $10k, that would be drained with just moving the a couple of the vehicles. shipping a car enclosed increases the price a lot. I'd be curious to know how the costs of moving everything shakes out...

And of course sad to see you go from this area, but excited for new opportunities.

Oh, and I think you need to start downsizing for the move... So we can meet up anytime and I'll take that XLV banner off your hands so you don't have to hassle with moving it.

Its going quick let me tell you.
I dont have the official moving quotes yet those are being done yesterday and today, so by the end of the week I should know.
Ship the Vette is $1400 enclosed, 1K open.
Fuel I calculated by 30mpg on her car 10mpg on my truck at 2800 miles and said average Diesel was 2.25
Her Car being very reserved at 30mpg would be $210 in diesel
Truck and Boat at reserved 10mpg would be $630 in Diesel
I set aside 3 meals a day at $20 a meal for 4 days travel $240
Hotel for 3 nights at $100 a night $300
Vette $1400
That all is $2700
So that leaves $6300 left to move furniture.

Her boss and CEO are really excited to see her transferring and I am sure if things were a little over they wont care, as long as its justified expenses.

Now what will cost me on the other side, I will need to replace the Fridge and washer / dryer which cost me about 5K 5 years ago. I am hoping when the new buyer asks for Closing I can use these units as $3500 offset.

Honestly if worst came to it and the budget gets too tight, I will not ship my Vette, I will store it here with someone I trust, and fly back later to drive it out.
To early to tell yet.

trayson
02-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Its going quick let me tell you.
I dont have the official moving quotes yet those are being done yesterday and today, so by the end of the week I should know.
Ship the Vette is $1400 enclosed, 1K open.
Fuel I calculated by 30mpg on her car 10mpg on my truck at 2800 miles and said average Diesel was 2.25
Her Car being very reserved at 30mpg would be $210 in diesel
Truck and Boat at reserved 10mpg would be $630 in Diesel
I set aside 3 meals a day at $20 a meal for 4 days travel $240
Hotel for 3 nights at $100 a night $300
Vette $1400
That all is $2700
So that leaves $6300 left to move furniture.

Her boss and CEO are really excited to see her transferring and I am sure if things were a little over they wont care, as long as its justified expenses.

Now what will cost me on the other side, I will need to replace the Fridge and washer / dryer which cost me about 5K 5 years ago. I am hoping when the new buyer asks for Closing I can use these units as $3500 offset.

Honestly if worst came to it and the budget gets too tight, I will not ship my Vette, I will store it here with someone I trust, and fly back later to drive it out.
To early to tell yet.

Oh, I thought you were talking $10k to have ALL the vehicles shipped. That would have been really, really, spendy. I know how much it cost to have my XLV shipped. But if you're just factoring the price of fuel and driving the car/truck yourselves, that drastically reduces the cost. I would think it'd be fair to have them likewise reimburse you for hotel and food. Or at least give you a per diem for some of that for a reasonable time that it'd take to travel across country.

Why don't you take the fridge/washer/dryer? I mean, these aren't things that are required to be left with the house. I've taken the W/D when I've moved and usually the fridge too. The only time it's best to work them into the deal is for convenience or attractiveness of sale.

Who knows what will happen. It's been a seller's market. I know when we sold Cindy's Mom's House we got a full price offer with the buyer paying their own closing costs. Can't ask for too much more than that!

mmandley
02-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Oh, I thought you were talking $10k to have ALL the vehicles shipped. That would have been really, really, spendy. I know how much it cost to have my XLV shipped. But if you're just factoring the price of fuel and driving the car/truck yourselves, that drastically reduces the cost. I would think it'd be fair to have them likewise reimburse you for hotel and food. Or at least give you a per diem for some of that for a reasonable time that it'd take to travel across country.

Why don't you take the fridge/washer/dryer? I mean, these aren't things that are required to be left with the house. I've taken the W/D when I've moved and usually the fridge too. The only time it's best to work them into the deal is for convenience or attractiveness of sale.

Who knows what will happen. It's been a seller's market. I know when we sold Cindy's Mom's House we got a full price offer with the buyer paying their own closing costs. Can't ask for too much more than that!

I would love to take the appliances but with long term storage <4 months> and them being 5 years old, I just don't know if its worth it to take them honestly.
Now like I said before my estimated cost is only that, I con't know for sure until I see some furniture moving quotes. like the one I just got from Allied, 11K to move everything, storage and deliver once we have a home. That alone blows that original budget away. I would need another 5K over what they allowing us.

Now to be honest, I am not sure if the 10K moving is set in stone, that's for Claudia to figure out.

I personally couldn't let my boat be shipped across the country. I am just too possessive of it. My Vette I can handle it being shipped in a semi with a professional company. The boat I just cant though, because that means someone is pulling it with a truck, well I didn't buy a big ass diesel to haul my boat 20 minutes to the lake LOL.

trayson
02-02-2016, 02:04 PM
I personally couldn't let my boat be shipped across the country. I am just too possessive of it. My Vette I can handle it being shipped in a semi with a professional company. The boat I just cant though, because that means someone is pulling it with a truck, well I didn't buy a big ass diesel to haul my boat 20 minutes to the lake LOL.

Totally agree. If I had the vehicle and TIME to have went to get my XLV, I would have most certainly done so. I just didn't have the extra time off to take for that kind of road trip. Obviously you will have the time off! And on top of that, you'll be able to make it an epic adventure!!!!

zabooda
02-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Keep all of your receipts as the money provided by the company will show up on your W-2 as income. My company paid me a separate check to pay for my tax burden. Strange, as the money to pay for the taxes is also taxed so where does it end.

beat taco
02-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Leave the boat here.

sandm
02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
granted not apples to apples, but my move from Boise to Green bay totaled $15k. that included moving 3 cars, boat, household that I drove in a uhaul and company paid for closing costs on house I sold and house I bought. 10k is tight to move from oregon to georgia excluding selling the house even driving your stuff yourself..

not sure how they are paying the 10k, but if it's paid to you, remember it's taxed as a bonus and that typically means a 45% tax burden so that 10k is now just north of 5. you get some tax breaks by paying for the expenses yourself but personally, I found it much easier to have the company pay for it all and let the tax man figure it out. not all the expenses the company will pay for are considered income and some that are can be deducted.

either way you are in for a fun irs season next spring :)

mmandley
02-03-2016, 08:09 PM
granted not apples to apples, but my move from Boise to Green bay totaled $15k. that included moving 3 cars, boat, household that I drove in a uhaul and company paid for closing costs on house I sold and house I bought. 10k is tight to move from oregon to georgia excluding selling the house even driving your stuff yourself..

not sure how they are paying the 10k, but if it's paid to you, remember it's taxed as a bonus and that typically means a 45% tax burden so that 10k is now just north of 5. you get some tax breaks by paying for the expenses yourself but personally, I found it much easier to have the company pay for it all and let the tax man figure it out. not all the expenses the company will pay for are considered income and some that are can be deducted.

either way you are in for a fun irs season next spring :)

Hey Scott,

Her company set up an expense account on a credit card, so we just have their accountant connect with the moving company. We exchange no money on that.
The travel will all be on her company card so technically nothing out of pocket.
Once we surpass the 10K expense account we are on our own to tax deduct it.
As for closing, no we are having to pay all that. The 10K is strictly the relocation.

We are going to have to pay some of it I am sure but we are keeping the move on the budget. We don't have a lot of things for owning a 3 bedroom home, even the moving estimators said " Wow you guys don't have a lot here"
This is because last year me and Claudia moved everything to the garage in March to replace all the floors so we downsized a lot. We also live pretty modest so we don't have a lot of things.

Jake < Beat taco > I'll be more then happy to leave the Mojo here as soon as you bring me a check for the cost of it. I would sell it to the right person for the right price, but I am not selling it just to make my move easier. To haul it to GA is only costing me about 300 in extra diesel.

Update though on my moving estimators, wow mentally draining dealing with all these estimators the last few days.

The average cost seems to be right at 7K to move everything to GA and put it in long term storage, then I assume another 1-1.5K to bring it out and deliver to the house. Thats 8500 of my budget.
So now the plan is to Drive the Vette myself in June when I'm off for a month, and fly back on the free flight tickets we get.
Getting everything out there though looks to be not to fare off that 10K.

The good thing is thats really all i need to do it get it to GA, once its in storage then I feel like thats the easy part.

I personally have always packed and moved my stuff were ever I go, but with the amount of trips back and forth this would take, or the sheer cost of transporting the boat and car just makes since to move what little furniture we have professionally.

newty
02-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Probably be best if you sold the truck, shipped the boat and drove the vette....lol
Sorry to hear your moving bro, but a chance to move south sounds awesome!
Need to get the box built for Ms. Mojo before you go go.

beat taco
02-04-2016, 12:54 AM
I'll give you 20k and 8 quads

sandm
02-04-2016, 08:47 AM
move the boat/truck in may yourself. then fly back and drive a uhaul out with the vette on a flatbed trailer behind. that's what I did to get to depere and how I saved cash on the move. if you don't have a lot, you should have people in oregon to help and I used the 2 dudes and a truck service to help unload the uhaul on the back end since I didn't know many here yet. $100 for 2 dudes/2hrs. I have a 1600sqft modestly filled house and a packed 3stall garage and it all fit in a 26ft uhaul.

best advice I can give you tho when driving if before may, plan your routes as far south as you can. you have salt-free rides and I wouldn't do the drive until we have had 2 good rains..

mmandley
02-18-2016, 07:58 PM
OK guys, next phase here is selecting a Moving company,

Who have you guys used for cross country moves?

I have been looking for weeks at reviews, BBB reviews, FMCSA and pretty much like forums, most all moving companies have crap reviews.

I am sure this is because when things are great people don't tend to sing that song.

I also know a lot of these main companies farm the work out to other companies, and this is probably where the bad reviews come from, but I am trying to narrow something down to feel at least warm about a certain moving company.

wolfeman131
02-18-2016, 09:00 PM
I did 4 corporate moves with Allied. Never perfect, but I'd say better than average.

CFD3Captain
02-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Allied moved me when I got out of the Air Force. I was pretty young then and didn't have too much stuff, but they were pretty good. I did box some things myself just for peace of mind.

kaneboats
02-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Always did the U-haul or Penske myself. Some hard work but always stayed in control. Then again, not moving as far as you are.

gbh424
02-18-2016, 11:59 PM
My last move from Texas to South Carolina was paid for by the Air Force but I believe it was Atlas. No issues with them and nothing broken (this was my fifth move in 10-years). On your concern about the appliances, I've moved a 20-year old washer/dryer set in all my moves (and a few when my wife had them before we got married) and even put them in storage for 2-years while overseas with no issues. Just make sure they're clean and *completely* dry before you put them in storage.

jmvotto
02-19-2016, 10:54 AM
we use Atlas all the time for client moves.

mmandley
03-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Here's the next big step.

A picture video of the house.
Its officially on the market, I don't have the MLS listing # yet but this You Tube Video was posted last night on it.
House is apx 1500sq ft, 3bed 2 bath 2 car garage 27x20 with 8ft door, RV pad. Once the listing is live with a link I will update that.

So now after months of work, and the last 5 days of non stop 12 hour days finishing everything we can relax a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rYCfl3ihJ4

wolfeman131
03-31-2016, 12:22 PM
looking good!

you should be in the ATL just about the time the yellow death clouds have been washed away. the pollen is awful this yr!

mmandley
03-31-2016, 12:28 PM
looking good!

you should be in the ATL just about the time the yellow death clouds have been washed away. the pollen is awful this yr!

Claudia will be back out there Monday, I am hopping to come out in June for a couple weeks.

kaneboats
03-31-2016, 12:30 PM
Looks like a model home. No substitute for doing everything up front. Should sell quickly.

Yea, the pollen is horrible this year. Wind was gusting the other day and blew a yellow storm cloud right off the top of the pool cover. Disgusting.

wolfeman131
03-31-2016, 12:34 PM
I am hopping to come out in June for a couple weeks.

should have done that last weekend and brought me a few chocolate eggs

trayson
03-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Here's the next big step.

A picture video of the house.
Its officially on the market, I don't have the MLS listing # yet but this You Tube Video was posted last night on it.
House is apx 1500sq ft, 3bed 2 bath 2 car garage 27x20 with 8ft door, RV pad. Once the listing is live with a link I will update that.

So now after months of work, and the last 5 days of non stop 12 hour days finishing everything we can relax a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rYCfl3ihJ4

Mike, you know that I can be critical but seriously, you hit a grand slam with that video. the house is staged AMAZING. Seriously bro, I can't think of anything besides WELL FRIGGIN DONE. The house looks amazing and you completely nailed it.

mmandley
03-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Mike, you know that I can be critical but seriously, you hit a grand slam with that video. the house is staged AMAZING. Seriously bro, I can't think of anything besides WELL FRIGGIN DONE. The house looks amazing and you completely nailed it.

Thanks bro, me and Claudia spent Saturday through Monday doing all the last minute things, cleaning everything top to bottom, painting and trimming all the base boards, touch up the nail and screw holes, toss lots of trash, yard work, clean out garage, storage shed, and ohh man I can't even tell you what else LOL.

I spent the last 5 days off and all was doing things like that.

Up until then it was packing, sorting, donating, until we had everything ready for the movers.

God Blessed us with a Sunny day for Pictures and a nice weekend for an open house also.

For those following this, so fare we have spent 5500 with United Movers. Shipping the stuff to GA.
Maybe 200 at Uhaul for supplies.
Storage is 130 a month
Leaving us with 4K still in the moving budget to get vehicles and everything out to GA.

Whats saving us so much money is we are ding so much of the work ourselves. We did all the packing, cleaning, and only paid the movers to load and transport.

trayson
03-31-2016, 03:33 PM
You can buy a lot of diesel for $4k!

#Roadtrip!!!!

How's the house hunting?

mmandley
03-31-2016, 03:37 PM
You can buy a lot of diesel for $4k!

#Roadtrip!!!!

How's the house hunting?

We got a couple places we are looking at, we have been looking at Jackson Lake recently.
Claudia likes the drive better, slightly closer to work for her as well.

She goes back Monday and is planning on walking a couple homes next weekend.
If she likes them then I might fly out in May for a few days to see them, then talk with finance people and get things ready for when we can make real offers.

dusty2221
03-31-2016, 03:56 PM
What type of drive is it?

mmandley
03-31-2016, 04:29 PM
What type of drive is it?

The drive to Lake Hartwell were we originally thought we might want to be is all interstate then off and in the town.

The drive to Jackson is through the back roads more south across the interstate, into the country
Or she can take the Interstate bypass from work around Atlanta and then into the country roads.

Basically her comment was she feels like the drive isn't nearly as long with all the scenery going to Lake Jackson vs Lake Hartwell.

Right now her drive is 1/2 country and 1/2 in town. 1 hr commute.

dusty2221
03-31-2016, 04:35 PM
What kind of mileage each way are we talking?

KG's Supra24
03-31-2016, 06:18 PM
Driving an RV through Atlanta might have been the highlight of my southern surf fest experience.

It's not something is be excited about doing again. Sheis a champ.

You looking for work in or outside Atlanta?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
03-31-2016, 07:26 PM
What kind of mileage each way are we talking?

Commute time in Atlanta has nothing to do with mileage. Traffic here is worse than Dallas and rivals Houston.

She will need to try that drive during rush hour. Unfortunately, she will going the same direction as the masses. The outer loop of the perimeter is a parking lot most mornings and the inner loop is a parking lot most afternoons. Throw in a little sprinkle of rain and . . . .

mmandley
03-31-2016, 07:28 PM
This is a sample route.

She wont be going through Atlanta.

I plan to work outside of Atlanta. I honestly have no real desire to go to Atlanta unless its recreational.

Her commute is a bit over an hour with traffic, the good thing is once the summer is over she should have her office squared away and be able to work from home a couple days a week. So she won't have to make the drive. Also since the the big boss lady, she dictates her hours and can be more flexible to help avoid some of the traffic.

I have been looking more towards Covington, Morrow

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Norcross,+GA/33.3864446,-83.9048781/@33.6495461,-84.3173812,10z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x88f5a1386da532a9:0x947cd c67c6763256!2m2!1d-84.2135309!2d33.9412127!1m0!3e0

viking
03-31-2016, 08:26 PM
If your able to live on a lake who cares about the commute LOL
JK - but there is some truth to that statement!

mmandley
03-31-2016, 09:18 PM
If your able to live on a lake who cares about the commute LOL
JK - but there is some truth to that statement!

Thats pretty much what Claudia said, she will do the longer drive to have water front property.

Especially when she already drives an our each way now, and once this summer is over she should be only driving 3 days a week.

mmandley
04-01-2016, 11:08 AM
House went Live last night on the internet.

This is the listing and details.

http://realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/723-N-7th-St_Carlton_OR_97111_M28832-25329

dusty2221
04-01-2016, 11:28 AM
That drive looks terrible. 57 miles, 1 hour? Forget about it!

mmandley
04-01-2016, 11:34 AM

How about right now she drives for 57 minutes for 30 miles.

I think she is gaining ground here LOL.

Thing is Dusty that Portland refuses to build more roads, so traffic keeps getting worse, Atlanta area keeps growing larger, so traffic is getting worse.

Texas has a lot more flat space and spreads out as traffic gets worse.

In Atlanta as I understand its pretty typical to spend an hour on the way to work and home, and those people live pretty close to work.

I refuse to love in the city, and if it means driving an hour to and from work, to have country living when I'm not working then I'll do it.

We all have our vises LOL.

wolfeman131
04-01-2016, 02:33 PM

Last time I'm warning you about this. I really do hope you can make the lakefront property work for you & Claudia's sanity.

I don't think you're going to believe it until you live it. You will rarely be able to travel 57 miles in 1 hour around Atlanta during the work week if you have regular office hours. Everyone knows a shortcut, but it doesn't help. The only way I was able to survive my cross-town commute a few yrs ago was to leave the house by 5:30am and the office after 6:00pm. It was a miserable existence, IMO. But, if I didn't leave that early, each 15 mins of delay easily added 30 mins to my commute.

Here is a map of traffic today @ 2:15pm. Red = NO GOOD. There is a little bit of Spring Break traffic in there, but this is pretty typical for a Friday.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Document3.jpg (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/wolfeman131/media/Document3.jpg.html)

Some Holidays are crazy. Halloween is the worst. I once had a 3 1/2 hr ride home. Office was less than 50 miles.

If you're really bored, click on this link and watch the red spread over the course of the afternoon.

http://www.511ga.org/#Variable_Speed_control&Message_Signs_control&zoom=4&lat=3996653.46578&lon=-9382429.59542

dusty2221
04-01-2016, 02:47 PM
^ That is what I was getting at. Just like "Dallas" traffic being a nightmare doesn't mean Dallas proper, the entire surrounding area is terrible. With ATL being worse, I can't imagine this being a good idea. From a guy that made a 60 mile commute to Dallas everyday for 11 years, no thanks. Never again. The quality of "home life" has increased so much since getting those hours back in the morning and evening, wouldn't trade it for a thing.

mmandley
04-01-2016, 02:50 PM
I get you bro, seriously I do, she has been making that drive already last time she visited and wanted to know the traffic.

I told her SHE needs to be ok with the drive. I will find something close enough that it works for me. She needs to be ok with the drive.

She is going out there again Monday, and I know she plans on making the drive a couple times to see what traffic is like.

I personally hate traffic, so I am already trying to mentally prepare for just your normal traffic, not even the bad stuff LOL.

Only time will tell. We will see how it all plays out.

wolfeman131
04-01-2016, 02:50 PM
The quality of "home life" has increased so much since getting those hours back in the morning and evening, wouldn't trade it for a thing.

really?

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/bad%20dusty.jpg (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/wolfeman131/media/bad%20dusty.jpg.html)

dusty2221
04-01-2016, 02:56 PM
Oh, that's just the "I hate to love you" look. Before the improvement it would have been the "I love to hate you" look. Big difference.

trayson
04-01-2016, 02:58 PM
There is a little bit of Spring Break traffic in there, but this is pretty typical for a Friday.

She is going out there again Monday, and I know she plans on making the drive a couple times to see what traffic is like.

If it's spring break next week, traffic should be lighter. I know I'm taking spring break off next week to hang with my son. Traffic on school holidays in the PNW are WAY less, I'd expect ATL to be the same. I only mention spring break because I'd hate for her "test days" to fall during a time when lots of parents are on vacation and in turn the traffic is light giving a false sense of what it'd be typically like.

I know you guys are wise and will be testing the waters before you commit to anything. I just keyed in on that "spring break" and wanted to make sure you likewise noticed it.

wolfeman131
04-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Oh, that's just the "I hate to love you" look. Before the improvement it would have been the "I love to hate you" look. Big difference.

which one of those looks do you get from KG?

wolfeman131
04-01-2016, 03:03 PM
and, just 45 mins later . . . .

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Document3_1.jpg (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/wolfeman131/media/Document3_1.jpg.html)

I'm betting in another hour, there will be very little green left.

dusty2221
04-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Very similar to this

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23687&d=1459537622

kaneboats
04-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Traffic is bad in Tallahassee because there are no roads-- everything is 2 lanes and they love roundabouts with a big tree in the middle. There is no grid. Every neighborhood has tons of speed bumps so no shortcuts. People complain about driving 30 min. to go 17 miles to work. ha ha. I'm from Chicago.

And I work at home.

mmandley
04-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Yea I can only imagine the traffic with 7m people vs Portland 2m people.

I hate Portland traffic, this is why I told her she needs to be driving these routes as much as she can to see what they are like.

I don't want to hear griping about long drives that you already knew about.

This is why I plan to work closer to home.

IDK in the end maybe we have to buy a piece of land on the lake and then build from there, maybe we buy a small cabin on the lake and a home in town, IDK.

I do know this is more up to her on driving them me, and we both hate living in town, and would rather commute then live in town.

I do appreciate all the concern, I mean we honestly don't know jack about Atlanta area traffic, places, neighborhoods, I just know its humid, hot, and too many people for my liking LOL.

wolfeman131
04-01-2016, 03:18 PM
it will all work out fine. big city = long commutes. Atlanta is hurt by the lack of a decent mass transit system.

You have plenty of time to figure it all out. Just remember, Lake Sinclair is full of gators & toxic waste. Avoid that place at all costs.

deerfield
04-01-2016, 03:41 PM
Mike - Please take your time looking for a new home. Think six to twelve months. Be patient. Spend weekends searching new areas and covering old ground. Explore the common as well as the unconventional. Use temporary rental in the meantime. Go small to keep rent outlay to a minimum. Given this move is to a part of the country new to you and Claudia, make sure you have done your due diligence going the extra mile before taking out a mortgage. - Stuart

mmandley
04-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Mike - Please take your time looking for a new home. Think six to twelve months. Be patient. Spend weekends searching new areas and covering old ground. Explore the common as well as the unconventional. Use temporary rental in the meantime. Go small to keep rent outlay to a minimum. Given this move is to a part of the country new to you and Claudia, make sure you have done your due diligence going the extra mile before taking out a mortgage. - Stuart

We will and are trying to that very thing.

We have actually been watching property and looking into things since last October, I have been looking up everything I can find on each lake, and area. While she visits she drives area looking at the different areas, the cars, the way homes look, and things like that.

We are for sure putting in our time looking. I am in no big rush, but yet I don't think we will rent for a year either. We won't just settle on something. If its not all that we want we will pass. We are planning on buying our Last home this time. We want to buy something below our budget, big money down, pay off quickly.

Then relax and let the retirement grow more.

Rakkasan
04-01-2016, 04:40 PM
If you look at the traffic maps you'll see there's never traffic I85 south. I live in the Newnan area and to work for me is 30 miles and takes 30 minutes no matter what time of day. Last year we bought a lot on West Point lake. Big lake with mostly fisherman and always an empty cove somewhere. It might be a little far for y'alls needs but no traffic.

wolfeman131
04-01-2016, 05:07 PM
If you look at the traffic maps you'll see there's never traffic I85 south. I live in the Newnan area and to work for me is 30 miles and takes 30 minutes no matter what time of day. Last year we bought a lot on West Point lake. Big lake with mostly fisherman and always an empty cove somewhere. It might be a little far for y'alls needs but no traffic.

His wife's office is on Norcross.

Rakkasan
04-01-2016, 07:40 PM
His wife's office is on Norcross.

I understand. Was just giving a reason why all of ATL traffic isn't bad if you just choose to live where everyone else doesn't. 😀

mmandley
04-06-2016, 08:11 PM
House was Officially on the Market Friday, Saturday afternoon we received a Full Price Cash Offer. We had a little back and forth on the fine details pertaining to earnest money due to when the new owner wanted to close. We have that all worked out now.

Now I can sit back, relax and enjoy the spring.

CFD3Captain
04-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Awesome! Congratulations! That was quick!

viking
04-06-2016, 11:54 PM
No kidding. Congrats!!

kaneboats
04-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Nothing like having something ready to sell. Nice job, congrats!

mmandley
04-07-2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks, we put a ton of work in the home to make it look brand new again, granted it was only 5 years old but its at that point when most homes need fresh paint and normal wear and tear repairs.

Oso sure didn't help in that process, over the years we found out we cant leave any doors closed when he is in the house alone, he will paw at the doors and scratched them up. I spent plenty of time adding putty to the doors and sanding them to match the original lines, then repainting them.

We are really happy the house sold though, especially so fast, its a pain showing houses.

I still won't be real excited until all the papers are signed and its a done deal, but knowing we have a buyer sure helps with all the other things we have going on.

mmandley
04-09-2016, 12:04 PM
We are officially 1/2 moved to GA, our stuff landed at the storage place, everything present and no apparent damage to anything.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/20160409_112407_zpsigubeqwp.jpeg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/20160409_112407_zpsigubeqwp.jpeg.html)

CFD3Captain
04-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Nice! Wow! Look at those GREEN trees! I'm envious bro!

chester
04-10-2016, 12:52 AM
Good luck with the move south! I would enjoy the extra months of warmth, but a 15 minute commute from house to downtown and the lake is great In Madison, if you can deal with four-five months of good boating weather...

sandm
04-11-2016, 09:33 AM
Nice! Wow! Look at those GREEN trees! I'm envious bro!

THIS....

congrats Mike. have to make a trip down there for some surfing lessons from ya :) atl is a pretty cheap flight out of Mke.

wolfeman131
04-11-2016, 12:43 PM
don't be too envious.

Those nice, green trees have a nasty side: pollen.

All the yellow crap on the water is pollen dust. It's disgusting.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/pollen.jpg (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/wolfeman131/media/pollen.jpg.html)

mmandley
04-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Gotta take the bad with the good. We are having a lot of pollen this year as well.

We don't get water accumulation like that but we do get allege

wolfeman131
04-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Gotta take the bad with the good. We are having a lot of pollen this year as well.

We don't get water accumulation like that but we do get allege

got this too:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/alligator-on-lake-sinclair-caught-on-camera-1/121558015

mmandley
04-11-2016, 01:29 PM
got this too:

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/alligator-on-lake-sinclair-caught-on-camera-1/121558015

Ok if you ever expect to see Claudia surf, let's not tell her about that.

When she was looking at homes Saturday she ran into a snake, spiders, and saw a nuetria (how ever you spell that)

That was enough get get to say she didn't want to dock swim. Lol

wolfeman131
04-11-2016, 01:51 PM
saw a nuetria (how ever you spell that)

saw a what? dude, even with my advanced skills in ebonics, I have no idea what you're talking about!

zabooda
04-11-2016, 03:26 PM
River rat. I will take an occasional river rat over cockroaches anytime. They have a tougher time getting inside the house and multiplying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu

wolfeman131
04-11-2016, 05:09 PM
down here they are muskrats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskrat

kaneboats
04-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Just wait till she meets the palmetto bugs.

Connolly_Crew
04-18-2016, 09:19 PM
https://vimeo.com/163342655
You should be envious Mike! This was Sunday the 17th.

mmandley
04-19-2016, 12:31 AM
https://vimeo.com/163342655
You should be envious Mike! This was Sunday the 17th.

I'm more then looking forward to the benefits of warmer seasons.

We have been 80s for 4 days but the water is still below 60.

Really messes with your head to be sweating, and trying to suit up in a wetsuit lol

beat taco
04-19-2016, 12:33 AM
Water hit 60 today on my way back down river. I knew she'd do it!

mmandley
04-19-2016, 12:37 AM
Water hit 60 today on my way back down river. I knew she'd do it!

I have a seriously hard time believing the river is 60 lol
I will need more people to agree to that then your first day on a new boat lol

beat taco
04-19-2016, 12:39 AM
59 all day as reported by people who owned boats and were out yesterday, got back in that boat owners club today and hit 60 on the way back.

mmandley
04-19-2016, 12:41 AM
59 all day as reported by people who owned boats and were out yesterday, got back in that boat owners club today and hit 60 on the way back.

Guess I'll find out Thursday when I go out lol

I'll let the leg o meter verify.

Generally the river is always colder then Hagg, but with the sun the last two days I guess the surface could be 60

beat taco
04-19-2016, 12:49 AM
A ton of debris below i5 though, pretty annoying!

trayson
04-19-2016, 01:49 AM

Willamette was 54 yesterday per my temp gauge by the portland waterfront where they log the temp.

my temp gauge is always almost spot on to these graphs...

http://or.water.usgs.gov/will_morrison/monitors/will_morrison_t_7.png

I don't see the columbia jumping 5 degrees above what they're logging...
https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/creofs/model_graphics/CREOFS_temp_crav_big.png

trayson
04-19-2016, 01:50 AM
Guess I'll find out Thursday when I go out lol

I'll let the leg o meter verify.

Generally the river is always colder then Hagg, but with the sun the last two days I guess the surface could be 60

The surface was 60 where Jake had just peed in the river. LOLOL

mmandley
04-19-2016, 01:53 AM
The surface was 60 where Jake had just peed in the river. LOLOL

I can believe that lol

beat taco
04-19-2016, 01:58 AM
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=14197900

Not where I was. Unless this is wrong too.

trayson
04-19-2016, 02:10 AM
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=14197900

Not where I was. Unless this is wrong too.

So we now know that Newberg is warmer than downtown is warmer than Vancouver.

And that Jake pees in the water then backs his boat up and takes a temp reading. :-P

beat taco
04-19-2016, 02:39 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160418/1d62c903fa9740b34445eb3418b7027d.jpg

beat taco
04-19-2016, 11:37 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160419/a6a55be9dc474bb54fa2ce4fc7df1fca.jpg

Too bad this weekends weather sucks!

trayson
04-20-2016, 02:20 AM
Jake, you weren't kidding about the comments on the debris floating down the columbia. Tonight we had dinner at Who Song and Larry's on the Vancouver Waterfront (right before the I-5 bridge) and I've NEVER seen so much debris floating down the river. it's like someone dumped over a barge full of driftwood. I am thinking of going out tomorrow after work, but I'm honestly nervous about all that crap in the water.

mmandley
04-20-2016, 10:01 AM
I understand why you guys goto the River for convenience but I have always said, I wouldn't goto the river until late May / June because the water levels are higher then normal, debris is higher then normal, and the water is still so dam cold LOL.

I am lucky in my lake being so close but there is other lakes close to you both as well.

trayson
04-20-2016, 11:13 AM
I understand why you guys goto the River for convenience but I have always said, I wouldn't goto the river until late May / June because the water levels are higher then normal, debris is higher then normal, and the water is still so dam cold LOL.

I am lucky in my lake being so close but there is other lakes close to you both as well.

The closest lake to me is 30 minutes away and it's probably 1/2 to 1/3 of the size of Hagg... Difficult for an after work run. Not impossible. just makes it tough.

beat taco
04-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Don't lie Mike I've never seen you on the river, even after June lol. Debris is always an issue April/May. It can screw up your day quicker than 6 rev 10's turned up to 11 at your tie up.

mmandley
04-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Don't lie Mike I've never seen you on the river, even after June lol. Debris is always an issue April/May. It can screw up your day quicker than 6 rev 10's turned up to 11 at your tie up.

I goto the river 2xs a year in my boat, I go on the river with others lol

I just can't get past the smell of the water, the ring it leaves on my boat lol

Trayson I get your point, but your well aware of the river dangers, you have seen them more then once bite you.

trayson
04-20-2016, 11:42 AM

That's funny!

I goto the river 2xs a year in my boat, I go on the river with others lol

I just can't get past the smell of the water, the ring it leaves on my boat lol

Trayson I get your point, but your well aware of the river dangers, you have seen them more then once bite you.

Only gotten bit in the river once--knocking on wood. And honestly, that was my fault because I went on the wrong side of the buoy marking the channel.

But yeah, it's easy to avoid the river if you have a convenient alternative.

mmandley
05-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Time to update this, getting closer to move time. The house is sold, waiting on the closing date, I think we are pushing it until 6/10/16 due to the buyer mostly.

I spent 5 days in GA earlier this month and we have a rental home locked down. We are taking the advise of Drew and some others to rent a while and learn the area and were we really want to invest before we buy a home.

We found a nice home in Sugar Hill to rent, newer 3/2 ranch with a 2 car garage on a flat property.
I have to find a place to store the boat because it only has a 7ft garage door and I don't think I can store it next to the home lol.

I am how ever headed back to GA next week on Memorial Weekend, thinking I will leave Monday and goto Mead Lake, long 1 day drive but Russ is down there with his boat and RV and figure ill get a lake day in with him.

Then head to Tucson to visit my mom for a day.

Head up to Colorado Springs and stay a night, drive the Pike Peak Run with the Vette,

After that is where it gets open to things or places I should go.

I don't know who all is spaced out through from Colorado Spring to Atlanta GA but these are the two main routes I have. Both are 2 day drives is I drive hard both days, but it leaves me time to detour, or site see.

Route one is straight across to Kansas City, through Nashville, and into Norcross GA

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Carlton%20to%20GA%20trip%201_zps3rkefyod.png (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Carlton%20to%20GA%20trip%201_zps3rkefyod.png.html)

Route two back tracks a little from Colorado Springs down to Oklahoma City then through Memphis and to Norcross GA.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Carlton%20to%20GA%202_zpslsmzb5qm.png (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Carlton%20to%20GA%202_zpslsmzb5qm.png.html)

Do you guys have thoughts to were I should drive through or must visit places along the way?

Only thing I can think of thought OKC is Street Outlaws LOL. Just because I always watch the show and its a corny thing to go take a picture of the Vette in-front of those places LOL. But I would rather find some nice places along the way to visit or people to stop by and hang out with.

mmandley
06-11-2016, 09:53 PM
Finally got the house closed. Closing dates kept getting changed by the buyer.

This is the last time I will get a pic like these.

Boat is now being stored in a warehouse across town until we goto Lake Billy for the 4th.

It's bitter sweet as we built this house and truly loved being in it. We left at 445pm and neighbor said they were moving in at 530 lol

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160610_164258_zpsm2numfip.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160610_164258_zpsm2numfip.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160610_164328_zpsywepaooe.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160610_164328_zpsywepaooe.jpg.html)

onoitslolo
07-21-2016, 12:39 PM
this is about 15 minutes from where I live, and is such a blast. We generally ride it in October, when I have a bike, and the views are top notch. I take it you are from somewhere near Knoxville?

mmandley
07-21-2016, 01:52 PM
this is about 15 minutes from where I live, and is such a blast. We generally ride it in October, when I have a bike, and the views are top notch. I take it you are from somewhere near Knoxville?

We are living in Gainesville GA now.

onoitslolo
07-21-2016, 02:20 PM
that was supposed to be for Patrick... I am still learning the forum navigation haha. I have been following your trip on here, I have made that drive many times but stopped in Birmingham. Last time it came to an abrupt ending in Rock Springs, WY.... hit a patch of ice and the truck started tumbling.

mmandley
07-21-2016, 04:15 PM
Lol I wasn't sure lol

onoitslolo
07-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Lol I wasn't sure lol

It's all good. But welcome to the south my man