PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speakers

AZHeet
06-26-2006, 12:36 PM
I’m looking to purchase speakers for my tower on my ’05 Mobius LSV. There are two brands that I am currently leaning towards. The Audioformz Polk Momo 6x9’s and the Monster Tower double pairs with the Polks. Any feedback on those two would be appreciated, but I have a few specific questions:

1. It doesn’t appear that the Audioformz have any good way to remove the speaker from the tower during storage other than undoing the clamps. Can anyone confirm this? That is one of the features that I like about the Monster speakers.

2. If anyone has the Audioformz, can you confirm that standard universal clamps work on the Moomba towers? The website says that they range from 1 7/8” to 2.5”. If I’m not mistaken, our towers are 1 ½”.

3. As I am planning on installing these myself, I haven’t notice many good ways to get the wiring out of the hull other than the factory plug that is used for the light. Does anyone have any good suggestions, or pictures?

Thanks,

JesseC
06-26-2006, 07:49 PM
I am running the Audioformz Polk 6.75 speakers. I absolutely love them. They will fit your tower, but you have to use both of the spacers that are supplied. I wouild not recommend "unbolting" the clamp everytime. If you will need to remove the speakers everytime, I would suggest going with the other brand. Audioformz uses the same clamps as the ones offered on Crutchfield for the bazooka tower speakers. I am also pretty sure that our towers are the 1 7/8 inch. Seems like that is what I remember measuring them at.

Check out my install on the following Link. Hope this helps.

I just realized that I did not include a picture of the plug that I built that disconnects at the tower "hinge" point. I will try to get a picture of it this weekend.

Tower Project Link ---> Tower Project (http://www.lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaTowerProject/index.htm)

BensonWdby
06-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Regarding speaker attachment. The easier it is for you to remove the speakers, the easier it is for someone else to remove them.

We bought our Mobius with speakers already on it. The prior owner had modified the clamping mechanism by welding the quick release solid. So the only way to remove the speakers was by removing 4 bolst with an allen wrench. At first I thought this was strange, until I had someone try to steal them off my boat while it was at a dealer. The allen head screws foiled them thankfully.

Dave

AZHeet
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Good Point!

JesseC -
I notice on your installation page that you replaced your stock speakers with the Polk's also. How do you like them? I was thinking of doing the same thing. They've got a bunch of them on ebay for around $90.

Actually looking at the Polk Momo's.

JesseC
06-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Absolutely love them! Got all of them off of ebay. Crutchfield will run a deal buy one pair get the second half off. I just watched for deals and collected them over a few months.

Speaker installation page ---> Speaker Install Project (http://www.lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaSpeakerProject/index.htm)

AZHeet
08-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Well, over the last month i have purchased all my stereo equipment and i worked last weekend on partial install. I mounted 4 of the Audioformz Polk db675's, but have not wired them. We must have 1 1/2" diameter towers because the largest spacer is for a 1 7/8" dia. and it was still to big to fit tight on the tower. I had to use some rubber material to wrap the tower before installing and then trim any excess that hung out past the clamps. I'm hoping that not only will this solve my spacer issue, but also provide some shock absorbtion. Using the largest and smallest spacer just didn't seem stable enough. More weight than i figured - I definetely will not be lowering the tower by myself any more.

Also mounted 2 Clarion marine amps up under the storage area in front of the batteries and a Polk 10" subwoofer under the dash. Have not wired everthing, that will be next weekend. I will eventually switch out all the stock speakers with the Polk db650's - I have one pair now.

I'll try to get some pictures up when finished.

Tiltboy
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
A word of wisdom on replacing the stock speakers. The size is 6 1/2, but the factory grills leave a large ring if you use a 6 1/2 speaker to replace them. If you go up to the db675, you will cover the ring, but you will have to do some cutting to make them fit. I went with the db 675's and used a dremmel tool to make the holes bigger.

Buttafewcoe
03-18-2008, 06:11 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Boss MRWT69's? I just ordered a pair for me OB and was wondering......
Specifications:
4-WAY 6 x 9 Component Speakers
Waterproof marinized enclosure
Power handling Peak 550w
Magnet Structure - 80oz
Impedance - 4 ohm
Frequency Response - 40Hz-20kHz
SPL 1 watt/1 meter 95 db
Cone material - metallic injection
Voice Coil - 1-1/2" aluminum
Tweeter - 2x1" mylar dome
Grilles - metal
Ferro Fluid Enhanced
Cabinet Dimensions: 11.5"w x 9"h x 9"d
Clamp accomodates bar width from 1/2" flat to 2 1/4" in diameter
1 year manufacturers warranty
http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/photos/35017b.jpg
B

Buttafewcoe
03-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Okie, so no one w/ experience
Any thoughts?
ice pick anyone?.....anyone????
B

tazz3069
03-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Polk audio are a perfect choice for your boat. I just installed 6 Polk Audio DB651 and 4 Polk Momo for the Tower. I also installed a 10 Boston Acustic Sub under the driver side. The system sounds sick. I really love the way it sonds. AudioForms are great. I had their can on my tower. Very sturdy under extreme stress. Now in regards tot he Monster Tower Speakers. I was concidering them as well. To me, I didn't think that the speaker would handle the stres of bouncing across the water. That little pin doesn't seem sturdy enough to hold the speaker. It might rattle. My two cents. As Jessie stated. The audio Formz are great cans. Plus, they do not look so bulky on the tower. I tried another brand and everybody kept hitting their head when they entered the boat.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/CIMG2523.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/CIMG2520.jpg
These are the Kicker Marine speakers in the Audio Formz cans before I chaged them to Polk Momo speakers. Plus you can not beat the price of the product.

tazz3069
03-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Absolutely love them! Got all of them off of ebay. Crutchfield will run a deal buy one pair get the second half off. I just watched for deals and collected them over a few months.

Speaker installation page ---> Speaker Install Project (http://www.lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaSpeakerProject/index.htm)
I did exactly that. I purchased my speakers from crutchfield (polk Audio DB651) Buy one and get the second half off.

AZ--
Where are you Located in Las Vegas. I live in the south west end of Town. Fort Apache Between Russel and Sunset. You can come over and see what I did to my boat. It's a little messy right now. I am rebuilding the speaker system. Give me a call 702-287-8863. I am not going to be home this weekend. I am going to Logindale, Quad riding with the family. I will be more than happy to show you my boat.

jmvotto
03-20-2008, 01:06 PM
you guys got me nervous. My OBV 07 has the kdc232R? and the six kicker speakers. i heard them in the boat on demo day but much more focused on the boat than the stereo(it can always be changed). I was at Circut City the other day and listened to both the kicker speakers and the Polk db65s side by side and did not hear a big noticeable difference, I was just playing with what was on there demo . Are the polk really that much better?

Anybody every try the bose 131 marine speakers?

http://www.thrillingaudio.com/bose-131-marine-speakers

JesseC
03-20-2008, 03:55 PM
you guys got me nervous. My OBV 07 has the kdc232R? and the six kicker speakers.

I would not be in a hurry to change yours. I bet they sound great. most of us had those surface mount Nautodine or something speakers which just sucked no matter what you did with them they made everything sound like a chipmunk singing through a daisy cup. If I had had kickers in the boat, I would have left them in. The majority of us are switching from a horrible speaker to a nicer set. Your boat already has a nicer set....stop worrying and save money for the gas. I would leave them alone unless you are disatisfied.

jmvotto
03-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Jesse I could probably concentrate on other options like the towr speakers or subwoofer.

:D JV

04OUTBACK
03-21-2008, 09:13 AM
JesseC makes great point.. i had the magnodyne junk in my 04.. replaced with Polk DB650s-MAJOR improvement.
IF you get the urge for better, look at Wetsounds... BUT, I think you'll find the kickers are fine. if you wanna spend some more $, upgrade your tower speakers, sub, and put an equalizer in the cockpit so you can adjust levels on cockpit, tower and sub separately. You'll use your Tower speakers more than cockpit and find you don't need much better in cockpit.

Anybody want 6 magnodyne moomba Pre-06 stock speakers> AH

Buttafewcoe
03-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I'd really like to find a powered eq. like you used to be able to get. The passive ones are ok, but I used to have a Commtron that was 100w x 4 channel (400w tot output) w/ 16 freq adj. Can't seen to find them tho.
B

04OUTBACK
03-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Butta,
Like what I had in high school.. think it was a Sparkomatic 100watt eq! $19.99 at the western auto! HAA

hows this... cheap like the ol sparkomatic
http://caraudio.phimart.com/itemView.html?listNo=L1428908441604

jmvotto
03-22-2008, 08:14 PM
you guys make me laugh Ha Ha Ha Ha :lol: spark o matic, realstic prob still makes them.

http://www.lightav.com/car/kenwood/eqxover/KGC6042A.jpg

I had one of these kenwoods in my Honda in the mid 90's it is passive but it works awesome. front back and sub with var output.

my 2 cents

04OUTBACK
03-22-2008, 08:23 PM
SparkoMatic was High school budget....It rocked hard for $20.... HHAHAHAHAA

Buttafewcoe
03-23-2008, 02:15 AM
Spark o matic........that's funny. I remember them.
B

NCSUmoomba
03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I have the Monster Tower cans with the Polk db's in them and they scream. As far as the pin rattling, it is not an issue because there is a set screw in the bottom of the clamp that tighten up the clamp and pin. I like it because at the end of the day, I unplug the speaker leads, loosen the set screw, pull the pins, and then store the cans behind the observer seat. This keeps them free of bug guts from the highway, it doesn't add extra weight to the tower to make it sway even worse when towing, and since they are not visible to prying eyes, I can eat my enchiladas supreme in peace after the late evening runs and leave the boat in the restaurant parking lot without worrying some punk kid will come try to jack my speakers.