PDA

View Full Version : Battery Relocation

rdlangston13
01-17-2016, 12:25 PM
Hey guys, I have an 08 LSV with three batteries (two group 27 deep cycles and one group 24 starting) and I am thinking about movinng on from the port locker to the starboard bow in front of the drivers foot well. Has anyone done this? I am so annoyed with my locker being over filled with batteries and that other space not being used that I think this would be a good solution. I am trying to figure out where I would run the wires between the two as well as how to extend the charging wires for ProMariner battery charger. Anyone who has some insight or has done this please chime in!

MLA
01-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Two or three bank charger? If its a 3 bank, are you isolating the two house batteries from each other to charge independently of each other?

rdlangston13
01-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Two or three bank charger? If its a 3 bank, are you isolating the two house batteries from each other to charge independently of each other?

It's a three bank charger and no, currently the house batteries do not get isolated from each other. Just the starting battery gets isolated from the house batteries.

MLA
01-17-2016, 04:11 PM
Check with the charger manufacturer, some multi bank charger leads can be stacked. No need to extend one set of leads, just place bank 2 and 3 on the closest house battery and get the combined output of those two banks just the same. Two batteries wired together are one battery.

David Analog
01-17-2016, 04:35 PM
David,
I don't care for the idea for a number of reasons.
Here is one of many methods to clean up the port locker, empty the entire sole, and add storage space, but without relocating the batteries to the opposite side or farther forward. This particular example holds three group 34s. And, there are multiple versions of this and similar approaches.
http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/set24/large/item-2/P1020805.jpg

I would contact the boat builder about the directionality of the supporting stringers under the sole. Re-routing those from the engine compartment would be a pain. Not sure I would want all those heavy gauge cables exposed above the sole.

David Analog
01-17-2016, 04:37 PM
Another example:

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/set15-2/large/item-4/P0008798.jpg

rdlangston13
01-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Those optima batteries look much smaller than my interstate batteries.

KG's Supra24
01-18-2016, 10:11 AM
Dusty worked up something similar to what David was showing in the 24. I don't have any pics of the in process handy, though.

Aren't you looking at ALOT of heavy gauge wire to run through the boat? What about concerns of taking water over the bow?

dusty2221
01-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Langston, if I remember your boat, there is room to do something similar to what David posted. Building a "shelf" system to allow the batteries to be stacked is what I did with the 24. I then used the amp rack as a wall to hide everything behind it.

I ran power and ground wire to the opposite side of the boat also, it was a pain and if I had not already had a supply of large gauge power/ground it would have been extremely expensive. I think your best bet would be pulling everything and mocking up some type of shelf. How many batteries are we talking about total that you are trying to deal with?

KG's Supra24
01-18-2016, 10:46 AM
This is the wall Dusty was referencing. I think we each had three batteries stuffed behind the wall, on a shelf, built from the hump.

Another idea might be to stuff them under the observers seat if you have enough height.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/Boat/IMG_3441.jpg

David Analog
01-18-2016, 11:40 AM
David,
Yes, in both cases, those are group 34 batteries, which are a little smaller than the standard group 24.
And, in both cases they are AGMs, and even though they are sealed they still should have some degree of venting or the tops exposed.
Many people use AGMs mounted over on their side and under the observers seat to clear out the locker. However, not all boats will have the height of seat console to accomplish this.
Having to run both the starter/alternator feeds plus the engine block ground farther forward, and, duplicating this with longer amplifier trunk feeds does add a lot of expense but also adds enough length that you might consider upgrading the gauge.
Just too much IMO.

MLA
01-18-2016, 12:35 PM
I am thinking about movinng on from the port locker to the starboard bow in front of the drivers foot well.

Can we get a clarification on how many batteries you are considering moving? Im reading it as one (1) and im assuming its only one of the two house batteries?

If just one of the house batteries, thats fairly straight forward, just add longer parallel cables.

If all are getting moved, for sure its more work, but still doable.
The helm BUSS B+ and B- would likely end up getting shortened
The Amp feed cables would need to be longer and possible upgraded to accommodate the added length.
The main starter B+ and B- may just have length to be pulled back into the bilge and then pushed up through the starboard/helm locker. If they will not reach, then replacing them with longer cables is the way to go, and they may need to be upgraded in size.
Move the battery charger with the batteries, rather than extend the charge leads. Much easier and better to extend the chargers AC cord if you have a shore charger outlet mounted somewhere.

rdlangston13
01-18-2016, 02:55 PM
Can we get a clarification on how many batteries you are considering moving? Im reading it as one (1) and im assuming its only one of the two house batteries?

If just one of the house batteries, thats fairly straight forward, just add longer parallel cables.

If all are getting moved, for sure its more work, but still doable.
The helm BUSS B+ and B- would likely end up getting shortened
The Amp feed cables would need to be longer and possible upgraded to accommodate the added length.
The main starter B+ and B- may just have length to be pulled back into the bilge and then pushed up through the starboard/helm locker. If they will not reach, then replacing them with longer cables is the way to go, and they may need to be upgraded in size.
Move the battery charger with the batteries, rather than extend the charge leads. Much easier and better to extend the chargers AC cord if you have a shore charger outlet mounted somewhere.

This. I am going to stick with my 3 battery set up, two house and one starting. One house and the starting battery would stay where they are, all I was thinking about moving was ONE of the house batteries. The shelf idea is good but looks like it would take a whole to get right and since my boat is kept 120 miles from my house I don't really have the convienence of spending a lot of time on this project to custom build a shelving system.

I like the idea of stacking them but I am not sure if I have the time or handy skills to tackle that project. Our port locker is overly crowded and with a baby on the boat this summer it will be even more so. Also my seat bases are too low to put them under the seat.

gregski
01-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Routing the cables wouldn't be too hard. Stick your head down in the center locker and look up to the sides. There are openings that are used for running wires from side to side.

rdlangston13
01-19-2016, 10:29 AM
Routing the cables wouldn't be too hard. Stick your head down in the center locker and look up to the sides. There are openings that are used for running wires from side to side.

Yeah I already filled these opening up with RCA cables lol

moombadaze
01-19-2016, 10:59 AM
david, what about putting the starting battery in the rear--could it fit under the seats, that would clear up some room and keep a heavy battery out of the bow

jmvotto
01-19-2016, 02:39 PM
you really need all three batteries? I have the same setup with two and never had an issue.. .02

wolfeman131
01-19-2016, 02:57 PM
you don't party like Langston, old man

mmandley
01-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Dave you best option to open that cubby is extend all the lines to the drivers side were you want to place them.

Also the cheapest option.

Next is upgrade your batteries to gel, or optima do they can lay on there sides. Then they will fit under the back seat in the V Drive. I dealt with this same problem in my LSV.

I ended up accepting the loss of space for my batteries and dealt with it.

jmvotto
01-19-2016, 04:16 PM
you don't party like Langston, old man

Ha!!! try me! he's got a newbie, mine get me the beer now a days....

rdlangston13
01-20-2016, 06:18 PM
The starting battery is the same height as the deep cycles, just not as long so it still will not fit under the seat base. I am thinking if I just move ONE house battery then I wont need to run 0 gauge wire to connect them. It's just there to aide the other house battery. I will into building shelves too but main thing is I need something that can be done quick since I dont have the option of tinkering with it in my garage every night for weeks like some people.

I am hoping my amp upgrade will allow me to eliminate the stock amp board which will allow to move two batteries farther forward in that compartment, then with one of the other side the space should increase significantly.

dusty2221
01-20-2016, 07:56 PM
That's what's tough, it's all slow work and hard to predict what you might run into. Any chance it could stay in the driveway a few days?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mmandley
01-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Yea you should be fine to have it in the drive way a few days, worst that can happen is they give you a warning, and that alone takes a couple days.

My HOA doesn't like the boat in my Drive way or in the street.

I do park it in the drive way sometimes over night, and it sits in the street quite a bit in the summer on back to back days.

kaneboats
01-21-2016, 12:55 PM
My HOA pissed a guy off over something so he had a sign made with . . . HOA and a crying baby's face. HA HA. Been up for months.

wolfeman131
01-21-2016, 02:38 PM
My HOA pissed a guy off over something so he had a sign made with . . . HOA and a crying baby's face. HA HA. Been up for months.

He's probably getting fined every day he leaves that sign up.

kaneboats
01-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Uh oh. SOMEBODY is on the board of the HOA. So is my wife. And she's on the architectural control committee so they hate her for making them follow the rules.