PDA

View Full Version : Speaker help

River-Rider
01-12-2016, 11:44 PM
JL M650 or Wet Sound XS650 for my tower
I have the supra factory cans to put them in I have the JL m650 in the cabin and love the JL

KG's Supra24
01-13-2016, 12:08 AM
What speakers are in the cans now?

6.5" tower speakers are becoming more and more rare as many opt for an 8" minimum in an open environment.

Between the two, similar price, I'd go matching JL all day.

River-Rider
01-13-2016, 01:09 AM
Just a set of kenwood cheap speakers and I like the idea of the 8 inch but I have the cans already and also like the idea of 800.00 dollars over 1300 pair

kaneboats
01-13-2016, 12:11 PM
Doesn't Kicker have something decent that goes in those cans?

MLA
01-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Nothing decent from Kicker, just excellent gear :wink: I know kaneboats didnt mean anything derogatory, but I have to say that the Kicker marine gear is far better than decent in a lot of respects.

I think what Kaneboats was referring to, is the Kicker KMS76 component Horn Loaded Compression Drivers. There are certainly a viable option if A) the OP has for pods and B) they fit the pods. But keep in mind, that an HLCD is a different animal from a traditional coaxial, so its not an apples to apples comparison. The XS-650 and M650 would be a better surf setup, where as the Kicker KMS67 would be more ideal for wake range projection. The KMS67 might also require an amp change in order to drive them to their potential.

David Analog
01-13-2016, 08:47 PM
River-Rider,
I prefer the JL MX650 over the JL M650. The MX has a slightly smaller tweeter but a slightly larger midbass cone. Strange but true. With the second order crossover I think the smaller tweeter in the MX650 makes for a perfectly balanced speaker. No need for the larger dome or the higher cost. However, it's a different ball game when using a larger 7.7". The M series is then the better choice.
Whether the JL Audio MX650 or the M650, I believe that these two are the most musically accurate 6.5" coaxials running away that you can install in the coaming panels of a boat interior.
Now if a cosmetic match is not the overriding factor then I like the Wetsounds XS650s specifically on the tower because of the hard metal dome and more aggressive voicing. It takes a slightly brighter speaker on the tower to project over distance and cut through the competing noise. The XS650s are really ideal for this within the coaxial options.

You might want to pause and consider new pods with a larger 8" tower speaker.

kaneboats
01-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Yea, just remembered seeing mention of an HLCD system that would go in some of the cans folks already have. OP gave little info on what those are.