PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surf Speakers

ghebert1111
01-12-2016, 12:42 PM
I have a 2014 Mojo and we are primarily wake surfing on it. We don't wake board at all. I'm looking to get some tower speakers to get some sound to the wake surfer. I am leaning towards the Wet Sounds Icon 8s. My questions are:

Are there any other speakers that I should be considering?

If I get the WS Icon 8s, can I get away with the fixed clamps with regards to my tower? How beneficial are the swivel clamps?

KG's Supra24
01-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Exile has the surf speaker (coaxial) lineup. JL coaxials towers would be comparable.

Does kicker make a larger podded coaxial now? Can't recall.

I'd spend the extra $$ on led options before fixed/swivel options.

Make sure whatever you end up with, it is properly amped.

KG's Supra24
01-12-2016, 01:32 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?26166-2015-Mondo-Wet-Sounds/page2

sandm
01-12-2016, 01:50 PM
love my icon8's for surfing. would buy them again in a heartbeat.

ghebert1111
01-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Exile has the surf speaker (coaxial) lineup. JL coaxials towers would be comparable.

I'd spend the extra $$ on led options before fixed/swivel options.

Make sure whatever you end up with, it is properly amped.

I've already purchased an Arc ks300.2 to power whatever I get. Hope that will work for what ever I get.

I guess the competition would be Exile SXT9Q and JL M770. If they are all comparable sounding and work with the amp I have, I prefer the WS look.

ghebert1111
01-12-2016, 01:53 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?26166-2015-Mondo-Wet-Sounds/page2

I don't have that type of tower so I'm not sure his comments apply to me. I have the Oz tower, which I love.

Badfoot
01-12-2016, 02:18 PM
I have the same boat and OZ tower with WS REV8s. I initially installed the fixed clamps but changed them to swivels because I was limited to a fairly small space to mount them (in the center portion of tower) and still aim them correctly, not to mention all the head banging that went with that. The swivel clamps allowed me to spread them apart and eliminated the head banging and was able to aim them where ever I wanted. Definitely recommend swivel vs fixed.
Hope this helps you out.

KG's Supra24
01-12-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't have that type of tower so I'm not sure his comments apply to me. I have the Oz tower, which I love.

My fault, wasn't paying close enough attention.

David Analog
01-12-2016, 02:46 PM
If you are discussing 8-inch surf speakers, like the Wetsounds, Exile, Kicker, etc., then the JL Audio M880s should be considered versus the M770s.
I'm a big fan of the JL Audio. But if you are already leaning towards the Wetsounds Icon8, and having heard both side by side, I can't give you a strong enough reason to change your mind. They sound different but both sound excellent.
The KS300.2 is probably ideal and enough power to drive any 8-inch surf speaker.
I'm always for swivel collars whenever there is the slightest compound curvature to the tower. If the speakers beam a little down the middle, or are just a little too hot for the rear cockpit occupants, or you just want to make minor corrections for the tower, the swivel collars give you all these options.

icemanftr
01-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Honestly, I would look into the Rockford lineup. I have heard them all and these Rockford towers are half the price or less than exile or wet sounds and sound just as good. Shit they're putting them on $130 G21 and G23s. I run them on my LSV and they rock. I spent about $300 a pair shipped on Amazon and just got a no reserve buy on eBay for a brand new set for $190 shipped! If you give them the power they need, you can't go wrong.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W4Y2KAI/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1452627615&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=rockford+wake+tower+speakers&dpPl=1&dpID=51VDSuDFWLL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghebert1111
01-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Honestly, I would look into the Rockford lineup. I have heard them all and these Rockford towers are half the price or less than exile or wet sounds and sound just as good. Shit they're putting them on $130 G21 and G23s. I run them on my LSV and they rock. I spent about $300 a pair shipped on Amazon and just got a no reserve buy on eBay for a brand new set for $190 shipped! If you give them the power they need, you can't go wrong.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00W4Y2KAI/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1452627615&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=rockford+wake+tower+speakers&dpPl=1&dpID=51VDSuDFWLL&ref=plSrch

My wife would be pretty happy with that purchase. What about mounting, I see that clamps are sold separately on amazon, did you ebay find include them?

MLA
01-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Yes, Kicker has an 8" pod for their KM8. The KM8 comes with RGB LEDs that can be wired single color red, blue or green or get the full RGB function with their controller. The pod can accommodate the the LEDs.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/mikesliquidaudio/IMG_8356_zpsd5hwjl05.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mikesliquidaudio/media/IMG_8356_zpsd5hwjl05.jpg.html)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/mikesliquidaudio/IMG_8357_zpsvgtjjwa2.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mikesliquidaudio/media/IMG_8357_zpsvgtjjwa2.jpg.html)

Having said that, depending on your tower, the Wet Sounds Icon-8S may be the better option. It will not only allow for the pod to be removed, but allow you to better aim the pod regardless of the tube arch.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/mikesliquidaudio/IMG_6630_zpssahvcqf9.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mikesliquidaudio/media/IMG_6630_zpssahvcqf9.jpg.html)

KG's Supra24
01-12-2016, 04:24 PM
If you are already leaning Wetsounds and go backwards .... it's easy to regret not getting what you wanted. I, along with many others, went the economic route up front to replace within a couple years.

Not sure if you do any evening boating but my biggest tower speaker regret is not getting LEDs.

ghebert1111
01-12-2016, 04:51 PM
If you are already leaning Wetsounds and go backwards .... it's easy to regret not getting what you wanted. I, along with many others, went the economic route up front to replace within a couple years.

Not sure if you do any evening boating but my biggest tower speaker regret is not getting LEDs.

I'm sure many others are in the same boat as me, my wife is watching very purchase I make for the boat, particularly w.r.t. audio. Why our wives can't understand our need for big audio is beyond me. For me it may be a case of get the Rockfords now or maybe wait 2 years for the Wet Sounds. I'm not in a big hurry so I can keep looking for a deal on used Icon 8s or something else.

We haven't done any evening boating but I can see where the LEDs would be really great to have. We are looking at getting a place on the lake and I'm sure once that happens so will the night boating.

icemanftr
01-12-2016, 04:53 PM
My wife would be pretty happy with that purchase. What about mounting, I see that clamps are sold separately on amazon, did you ebay find include them?

I actually went with old design, these are the new models, so unfortunately the mounts are sold separately for about $80 for both.

Here is the ones I run and they have full swivel capability. I never run mine towards front of boat, but the option is there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009VTDT2C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1452627615&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=rockford+wake+tower+speakers&dpPl=1&dpID=51V8xlq1caL&ref=plSrch

icemanftr
01-12-2016, 04:55 PM
LED is nothing for me, it's an added expense that could be put towards cold beer. However a light bar would be more useful then LEDs for a cool factor, as they're not going to light up the lake like light bars and underwater LEDs. Just my .02

KG's Supra24
01-12-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm sure many others are in the same boat as me, my wife is watching very purchase I make for the boat, particularly w.r.t. audio. Why our wives can't understand our need for big audio is beyond me. For me it may be a case of get the Rockfords now or maybe wait 2 years for the Wet Sounds. I'm not in a big hurry so I can keep looking for a deal on used Icon 8s or something else.

We haven't done any evening boating but I can see where the LEDs would be really great to have. We are looking at getting a place on the lake and I'm sure once that happens so will the night boating.

You are only seeing the front end of the equation. Get the big audio like its normal ... then when ya'll visit others boats she will ask why their stereo is broke!!! But seriously, we are boat shopping right now and the stereo conversation was a short one after having ours for several years now.

I certainly understand the budget side of the equation, though. I spent months debating audio when we first got the boat.

The audio guys like to release new products in late spring ... might be a time to see some used stuff go up on the market.

philwsailz
01-12-2016, 05:38 PM

Yes. The Kicker KM84LCW is an 8" coaxial with a 1" titanium tweeter. It comes with both white and charcoal grills so the color choice is yours. We also have the KMTES8W, (white) and KMTES8B, (black) cans shipping any day now. These new cans feature a system for getting the RGB LED lighting wiring into the cans as well. Need a little more bling? We now have optional chrome grills for the 6.5" and 8" coax speakers as well as for the KMW10 woofer.

FYI

Phil
Kicker

That Guy
01-12-2016, 08:39 PM
I went with the icon 8's after hearing a few different ones and prefer the look of them over others. Plus on sale/with coupon I didn't think the price was too bad...compared to the price of the boat. Lol

sandm
01-12-2016, 09:04 PM
fwiw, I have the arc 300.2 powering a set of 4 icon8's and love it.

ghebert1111
01-12-2016, 09:26 PM
I went with the icon 8's after hearing a few different ones and prefer the look of them over others. Plus on sale/with coupon I didn't think the price was too bad...compared to the price of the boat. Lol

"...compared to the price of the boat." That's funny. I wish my wife felt that way but she's not a "relative/compared" kind of person. Any purchase over 250$ gets a lot of scrutiny. That's why I was able to get the amp but seem stuck trying to get the tower speakers. But I'll keep looking through late spring as suggested. I'll try and score a pair of Icon 8's and if that doesn't work, I'll look at the Rockford Fosgates.

Thanks for the input.

ghebert1111
01-12-2016, 09:27 PM
fwiw, I have the arc 300.2 powering a set of 4 icon8's and love it.

Good to know if I can swing 4 of them.

MLA
01-12-2016, 09:35 PM
The KS300.2 is spot on power wise for powering 1 or 2 pair any 8" coax tower pod. Done a couple boats with this amp and the Kicker KM8

viking
01-12-2016, 10:56 PM
You are only seeing the front end of the equation. Get the big audio like its normal ... then when ya'll visit others boats she will ask why their stereo is broke!!! But seriously, we are boat shopping right now and the stereo conversation was a short one after having ours for several years now.

Ha true story!
been there done that. My better half really doesn't care anymore as she knows when summer comes and we hit the lake we have EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED!!
First couple summers and 2 boats later she is on board. She was a Debbie Downer on why we "needed" expensive speakers. Why do we "need" 10" tower speakers. Why do we "need" LED lights on all the speakers (tower and in boats)?
Today she doesn't care what I spend on the boat as she enjoys every minute of it when we are on the water :)

BamaMojo
01-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Easier to ask forgiveness....Or in my case distract her with something nice and she may not notice...😎

BamaMojo
01-13-2016, 12:04 AM
I have a 2014 Mojo and we are primarily wake surfing on it. We don't wake board at all. I'm looking to get some tower speakers to get some sound to the wake surfer. I am leaning towards the Wet Sounds Icon 8s. My questions are:

Are there any other speakers that I should be considering?

If I get the WS Icon 8s, can I get away with the fixed clamps with regards to my tower? How beneficial are the swivel clamps?

Gil,
I would ask Drew what he thinks of the Rockford tower speakers on the Supra to get some feedback on that line.

KG's Supra24
01-13-2016, 12:15 AM
Gil,
I would ask Drew what he thinks of the Rockford tower speakers on the Supra to get some feedback on that line.

Good point.

On the factory options, I believe Nautique has switched, just like Supra, to JL. I thought their prior speakers were Polk and mostly accepted as inadequate for $$$. Malibu has been using the podded Rockford speaker. Nearly every Malibu I see has Wetsounds, your local Malibu dealer might be a good place to snag a set of Rockfords.

KG's Supra24
01-13-2016, 01:27 AM
Yes. The Kicker KM84LCW is an 8" coaxial with a 1" titanium tweeter. It comes with both white and charcoal grills so the color choice is yours. We also have the KMTES8W, (white) and KMTES8B, (black) cans shipping any day now. These new cans feature a system for getting the RGB LED lighting wiring into the cans as well. Need a little more bling? We now have optional chrome grills for the 6.5" and 8" coax speakers as well as for the KMW10 woofer.

FYI

Phil
Kicker

What are the details on the KM8 in the Kicker pod? There is almost nothing online about it.

philwsailz
01-13-2016, 10:45 AM
What are the details on the KM8 in the Kicker pod? There is almost nothing online about it.

The Kicker 8" speakers have been out for a while now. The 8" cans for them are just about to ship. The fact that we have not shipped the cans yet is the primary reason there is little on-line about them. We have heard LOTS of positive feedback from folks on the 8" coax in other cans, so we are excited to be able to offer a complete solution soon. The Kicker KM8 speakers in the KMTES cans will be a great option for folks to consider.

Phil
Kicker

MLA
01-13-2016, 11:27 AM
Good point.

On the factory options, I believe Nautique has switched, just like Supra, to JL. I thought their prior speakers were Polk and mostly accepted as inadequate for $$$. Malibu has been using the podded Rockford speaker. Nearly every Malibu I see has Wetsounds, your local Malibu dealer might be a good place to snag a set of Rockfords.

Malibu actually hasnt offered the Rockford pods, just use their marine in-boats, marine 12" woofer and car punch amps. Their Titan II 6x9 tower pods have been loaded with an MB Quart driver or an optional wet sounds pro696rs 6x9 HLCD. For 2015, Bu offered the Wet Sounds Rev-8 and Icon-8 but they loaded them in their own custom pod with their own grill design.

CC has used polk, the same MB Quart Titan II as Bu, Roswell and now JL.

I dont know of any tow boats offering them as OEM, but think one run-about line is.

smorris7
01-13-2016, 04:58 PM

Ah, no... Nautique and Supra both use JL from the factory. Before that They both used Polk. Don't know of ANY brand using Rockford on the tower. Malibu uses them for interior but that's it...

icemanftr
01-13-2016, 05:33 PM
Ah, no... Nautique and Supra both use JL from the factory. Before that They both used Polk. Don't know of ANY brand using Rockford on the tower. Malibu uses them for interior but that's it...

Well Toblers in Hayden, ID sells their Nautique with Rockford towers. Sales guy said it has never sounded so good. But shit for all I know they deal with Rockford. I personally love mine, but I have never heard wet sounds on my amp. Only other boats with different amps. I run top of the line pdx amps by alpine for all my systems. So that could be why I am so sold on my rockfords.

ghebert1111
01-13-2016, 06:26 PM
Well Toblers in Hayden, ID sells their Nautique with Rockford towers. Sales guy said it has never sounded so good. But shit for all I know they deal with Rockford. I personally love mine, but I have never heard wet sounds on my amp. Only other boats with different amps. I run top of the line pdx amps by alpine for all my systems. So that could be why I am so sold on my rockfords.

Good point, Hope my new amp, below, will produce good sound when I finally find some tower speakers I can afford. I guess since I won't be on the water until March, there's no hurry to get them, but I want them and I want them now.

BamaMojo
01-13-2016, 06:49 PM
That amp sounds great!

ghebert1111
01-13-2016, 07:51 PM
So, in prepping for my amp install I realized I have enough 4 gauge wire for ground and power, from another install, but I don't have any 4 gauge ring and spade connectors. I can get them on amazon, but 15 bucks is pretty steep so that I can use 4 of the connectors.

Does anyone know where I can find some of these cheaply or does anyone have four that I can buy?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023NVYZW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V8JRD3E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_7&smid=A130UJC6EIIOR0

MLA
01-13-2016, 11:20 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These wont work with Arc KS amp's power terminals. You actually dont need any.

ghebert1111
01-13-2016, 11:45 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

These wont work with Arc KS amp's power terminals. You actually dont need any.

Thanks, I hadn't even looked at the connections. Just tried the 4 gauge and it just fits into the amp connections. I guess I just need 2 ring connectors then.

icemanftr
01-13-2016, 11:51 PM
All this talk about wake tower speakers made me start installing my second set. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/fd3e9e99b9a51a76ab54582f78c1451b.jpg

ghebert1111
01-14-2016, 12:22 AM
All this talk about wake tower speakers made me start installing my second set. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/fd3e9e99b9a51a76ab54582f78c1451b.jpg

Looks great. I'll be happy to get a pair up there before the season starts. I sure will have the amp ready and waiting though.

icemanftr
01-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Looks great. I'll be happy to get a pair up there before the season starts. I sure will have the amp ready and waiting though.

Thanks man. Yeah that's the hard part aside from feeding wire. I need to redo my amp rack as I am adding a 3rd amp.

ghebert1111
01-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Thanks man. Yeah that's the hard part aside from feeding wire. I need to redo my amp rack as I am adding a 3rd amp.

Any advice on installing the third amp from anyone. I'm also installing a tower amp.

For instance, my power distribution block has labeled connections for amp1, amp2, Dash and Acc. I connected my sub amp to the amp2 connection. Where should my tower amp be connected to? Can I connect it to Dash or Acc or can I double up on amp1/amp2?

icemanftr
01-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Any advice on installing the third amp from anyone. I'm also installing a tower amp.

For instance, my power distribution block has labeled connections for amp1, amp2, Dash and Acc. I connected my sub amp to the amp2 connection. Where should my tower amp be connected to? Can I connect it to Dash or Acc or can I double up on amp1/amp2?

What's your distro block? You need help on RCA? Or just Power?

Just finished mine
? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/1602b3423dfe283023696d17b5026efe.jpg

MLA
01-14-2016, 06:20 PM

I would evaluate what you supplying the distribution setup. That factory power and ground distribution setup was designed for the number of factory amps and their cumulative current draw. You dont want to exceed the capacity of the OEM cabling with aftermarket amps.

ghebert1111
01-14-2016, 06:33 PM
I would evaluate what you supplying the distribution setup. That factory power and ground distribution setup was designed for the number of factory amps and their cumulative current draw. You dont want to exceed the capacity of the OEM cabling with aftermarket amps.

That's the kind of advice I need. I have the factory distribution block. I'll post a picture when I get home. I have the factory in boats amp and have added a 150 RMS kicker amp and sub (KM10). I'm adding the arc ks300.2 to drive 2 as yet unknown tower speakers.

ghebert1111
01-14-2016, 06:57 PM
What's your distro block? You need help on RCA? Or just Power?

Just finished mine
? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160114/1602b3423dfe283023696d17b5026efe.jpg

What does ur amp set up look like? Do you have 2 or 3 amps and we're any of them factory installed.

icemanftr
01-14-2016, 06:59 PM
What does ur amp set up look like? Do you have 2 or 3 amps and we're any of them factory installed.

I will have to take pics. I never had anything installed from Skiers choice or dealer. I prefer to do all my own work and keep money in pockets for other things.

I am going to be running PDX M4, MRX V70, and PDX M6. I have factory kickers in panels, infinity in bow that I installed. Either a W6 or Rockford T1 sub (have both) and gonna install a polk db sub in Driver pod. Let's not forget the 4 Rockford wake towers.

ghebert1111
01-14-2016, 09:07 PM
Here's my factory distribution block. I will be running the following amps:
Arc KS 300.2
Kicker CX 300.1
Kicker DX 200..4

ghebert1111
01-14-2016, 11:13 PM
Here's my factory distribution block. I will be running the following amps:
Arc KS 300.2
Kicker CX 300.1
Kicker DX 200..4

The red wire is the factory power wire (8/10 gauge?)to the factory kicker amplifier. The blue wire(4 gauge) is the power wire to the kicker amp I installed.

MLA
01-14-2016, 11:48 PM
The BUSS and ground stud are supplied with 4ga IIRC and that is 8ga to the OEM amp.

ghebert1111
01-14-2016, 11:52 PM
The BUSS and ground stud are supplied with 4ga IIRC and that is 8ga to the OEM amp.

So can I run my Arc amp to the dist block with 4 gauge power and ground then?

jstenger
01-15-2016, 12:51 PM
So can I run my Arc amp to the dist block with 4 gauge power and ground then?
Yes, but I would replace the 4 gauge power and ground wires feeding the block with 1/0 gauge. Looks like you already have a 300 amp fuse on the block, so no need to change that.

ghebert1111
01-15-2016, 05:23 PM
Yes, but I would replace the 4 gauge power and ground wires feeding the block with 1/0 gauge. Looks like you already have a 300 amp fuse on the block, so no need to change that.

I have 2 gauge wire to the power block(Pos and Neg) not 4 gauge, I just checked both wires. Should I be OK with the 2 gauge or should I upgrade to 1/0? I only plan on driving 2 tower speakers with the Arc amp and the only things that may change in the future are:

- replace the factory Kicker amp (Kicker DX 200.4) with something bigger
- add some LED lighting

Sure some other things might come up but those are the only 2 on the horizon.

MLA
01-15-2016, 09:33 PM
If you have an idea of what the potential future current draw might be with that in-boat amp change, then you could go ahead and make that supply cable upgrade now, if you wanted. Just note, the main circuit protection on that supply B+, may also need to be upgraded.