PDA

View Full Version : need help fast! 4th of July next weekend!

Nboard10
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I did a search but could not find the same problem as mine here.

At low speeds, at ilde or just above, I am getting a screeching noise coming from the engine. It sounds like a belt going bad. I am not certain though. During acceleration or any speeds above 1000 rpm the noise stops.

I have a huge weekend planned on the boat for the 4th. I am hoping to fix this before then. Hopefully tonight. If you can give me an idea of what this may be I would really appreciate it. Any idea of which belt? Thank you!!

Nate

Nboard10
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
also - the boat is a 2000 Kamberra with 325 hours.

thanks again!

Smrtz
06-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Hmmm sounds like maybe your alernator belt is loose. so it squeels until you really get the rpms up.

if you are idling with the radio and aux power on does it squeel then?? if so i would say Im pretty sure thats it.

that would be an easy and cheap thing to fix!!

Nboard10
06-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Your right Smrtz!

The radio and both amps were running while I heard the noise.

Is this an easy fix? I keep my boat in a marina that frowns on big repairs with hte boat in the water. Is it something that I could fix in a half hour or so? I have a friend who is a mechanic and a 12 pack would ensure his help.

Do I just need a new belt? Also - do I need a marine grade belt? Or can I use something from Auto Zone?

Thanks again!

Smrtz
06-26-2006, 12:23 PM
This is super easy fix loosen off the nut that keeps the alternator tight bring along something to pry the alternator away from the engine and take up the slack tighten it back up .. problem solved!

you wont get any flack for that repair... its really just an adjustment! You probably dont need a new belt... unless you see unusual wear and cracking on yours... just tighten and away you go!!

Hope you have a great 4th of July!!

lowdrag
06-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Smrtz is right on, easy to fix and you probably don't need a new belt. But if you've got 325 hours on the boat and haven't changed it before or aren't the first owner and don't know the maintenance history it might not be a bad idea to get one. If you do that, the best way is to see if there's a part number on the belt or just take it with you and have them match it at an auto parts store. Before you do it though, make sure you draw yourself a diagram of the pulleys and how the belt runs around them. Most cars have a sticker that shows the belt orientation near the radiator, but I've never looked on my boat close enough to see if they have them too. Put the new belt on and store the old one in the boat as a backup. It's a very cheap easy way to give yourself some insurance so something as easy to fix as a belt doesn't ruin a great day or weekend on the water.

Brian Raymond
06-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Nate, the impellar will also "squeal" when it is through (early sign of deterioration). This and the gasket, should be replaced every 100 hrs. or at the beginning of every season. The impellar is the main source of coolant for the motor, cheap insurance that you will not overheat. I suggest, also keeping a spare in the glovebox, they go quick if not water fed, and small debris or a sandwichbag on the intake will prove this. I hope you have a great 4th weekennd. Brian Raymond

Nboard10
06-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all the help guys!

I replaced the impeller, (good thing there was beer on the boat - it didnt want to come) and the alternator belt. The impeller was actually in pretty good shape. I am going to put it in a plastic bag with some soap to keep it pliable.
The belt took care of the squeeking for me.

All is well for the weekend!

thanks again guys and especially Brian for giving me great instructions over the phone.

JoeTechie
06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
NOT Soap!

Soap will deteriorate the rubber and you will have a brass spline and a ziplock of mush in a year or two when you pull it out for an emergency. Use Petrolium Jelly.

Glad you got it fixed

-Joe

Nboard10
07-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks Joe.

I read soap somewhere... I will give it a good amount of jelly then!

Looks like the 4th may not be that great for the boat after all. We are going to get rain today and probably all day tomorrow.