PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Colorado Housing

deerfield
01-09-2016, 05:25 PM
For anyone with knowledge of the Summit / Eagle area:

Seeking affordable rental housing in, or within 30-minute drive of, Summit County / Eagle County area of Colorado. One-year lease, with April 2016 start date. Could be extended with consecutive one-year lease periods through March 2019. Single-family detached home, townhouse, apartment, or cabin.

In discussion with employer about working from its Avon office location. Would keep me in that area for at least one year and, if all goes well, as many as three consecutive years. Given adequate time for discussion, interviews, and relocation preparation, anticipate a start date on or around April 1.

Currently have a home in Virginia, to which I would return and therefore am not willing to sell. Paying rent in Colorado, particularly during peak season, and mortgage on the house in Virginia is a near impossible stretch on cash flow. With so many second home owners in the area, real estate and rental prices are high in Summit / Eagle.

Have a strong appreciation for the Rockies, so looking for a way to make this happen. Please let me know if there are pockets with more affordable housing or sources of which I may not be aware when searching just the Internet.

Thanks!

mmandley
01-09-2016, 08:12 PM
I pinged Al Cab, I know he spends time in Colorado and owns a home there if i recall.

If he gets back to me I will let you know.

Or maybe PM him and see if he answers? Me and him don't talk as much in the off season as he is out of town a lot.

zabooda
01-10-2016, 04:57 AM
A lot of people that have long term temporary jobs in particular construction industry have used a trailer, fifth wheel or motor home and stay in an RV park. You can write it off as a second home.

viking
01-10-2016, 01:28 PM
Stuart don't you still have your house in Illinois too?

deerfield
01-11-2016, 11:27 AM
Stuart don't you still have your house in Illinois too?

Yes. Been on the market for one month. It is a modest house (one of the town’s smallest but large enough to raise three boys!) in a nice area with good school system and walking distance to the commuter rail to downtown Chicago. When it sells, we'll have only the mortgage on the Virginia house, which is now home and where we want to eventually retire.

I pinged Al Cab, I know he spends time in Colorado and owns a home there if i recall. If he gets back to me I will let you know. Or maybe PM him and see if he answers? Me and him don't talk as much in the off season as he is out of town a lot.

Appreciate the suggestion and your having pinged Al. I will send him a PM today. Thanks!

A lot of people that have long term temporary jobs in particular construction industry have used a trailer, fifth wheel or motor home and stay in an RV park. You can write it off as a second home.

Appreciate this suggestion, also. Looked online yesterday for trailer rentals and searched for RV park news articles in the local papers serving Eagle and Summit counties. From news stories, park marketing materials, and rates, get an uneasy feeling. Nonetheless, we will explore this avenue in person when in Colorado for the interview. Thanks!

gregski
01-11-2016, 01:03 PM
I've known a few people that have found semi-affordable housing in Edwards. You might try modifying some of your search parameters. April is still included in seasonal rentals for ski season so things might open a bit more in May. But as you've found, Summit and Eagle counties are some of the most expensive so a "deal" will be hard to come by. The farther you get from the ski areas and I-70 will be better, but life also gets less convenient that way. You might also check sites like VRBO that normally do vacation rentals but would be interested in a year long rental at a reduced rate, it would take lots of emailing but you might find something.

mmandley
01-11-2016, 01:22 PM
Appreciate the suggestion and your having pinged Al. I will send him a PM today. Thanks!

!

I spoke to him yesterday <Al> and his place has long term renters, they just signed another 2 years.

Sorry man.

yearround
01-11-2016, 05:55 PM
PM sent,
I may be able to do something in Silverthorne, but that is a ways from Avon.