PDA

View Full Version : 08 mobius lsv v drive winterizing?

Leirhiht
12-28-2015, 06:14 PM

So I drained all the water from engine and the ballasts. I moved to the v drive and couldn't figure which hose I need to pull in order to drain the v drive. I saw a post on a 06 but it is apparently different. Does anyone know if I'm even supposed to pull a hose on the v drive or just drain it from the plugs?

Also how many pumps are there for the ballast system? Do both rears work off of one pump and the front on its own individual pump? I only disconnected the two in the picture I've attached. Kinda assuming it works off one and the rears working off one.

Also, should I have gotten any water to drain from the connecting hoses for the manifolds? Nothing came out when I separated them..

hans
12-29-2015, 12:51 AM
I do it like that: i remove the v-drive plugs ( one in the front and one in the rear), I remove the 2 hoses each side of the v drive ( the left one and the right one) it is very easy to unplug the hoses. you just have to unscrew the metal clamp that old the black hoses on the fittings that are screwed in the v drive and pull hard on the hoses. and i blow air in the v drive to be sure. but you re supposed to be ok by just unscrew the 2 plugs, but I want to be sure. on your picture the hose that bring the water to the v drive is the one on the right side between the v drive and the water strainer, the hose on the other side bring the water from the v drive to the raw water pump. just don t try to unscrew the fitting that go in the v drive.

hans
12-29-2015, 01:05 AM
for the manifolds hose, when I separate them there is always water that drain on my boat. on my boat the place where i separate the hoses is very low so it is impossible for the water to drain elsewhere but maybe your boat is different.

I can t help with your ballast my pumps are different. I think that your pump are not reversible so you probably have 2 pumps for each bags because you need one pump to fill the bag and one to empty it.

VA LSV
12-29-2015, 09:36 AM
You have 1 fill and 1 drain pump for each bag. Disconnect all fittings, remove the bags and hang them to drain and then blow in the fittings at the bags to push any remaining water out.

You should have gotten quite a lot of water out of the manifolds.

brain_rinse
12-29-2015, 01:36 PM
You have only 1 fill pump. It is the white pump lower left in the pic you posted. You then have the gray manifold that has 3 sprinkler valves, one for each bag. In your pic you've only removed 2 of the hose connections - remove the 3rd (you can see the red connection, top left in your pic.)

Leirhiht
12-29-2015, 04:14 PM
I do it like that: i remove the v-drive plugs ( one in the front and one in the rear), I remove the 2 hoses each side of the v drive ( the left one and the right one) it is very easy to unplug the hoses. you just have to unscrew the metal clamp that old the black hoses on the fittings that are screwed in the v drive and pull hard on the hoses. and i blow air in the v drive to be sure. but you re supposed to be ok by just unscrew the 2 plugs, but I want to be sure. on your picture the hose that bring the water to the v drive is the one on the right side between the v drive and the water strainer, the hose on the other side bring the water from the v drive to the raw water pump. just don t try to unscrew the fitting that go in the v drive.

Cool thank you! I've got another issue the front plug is kinda rusted. Got any ideas on getting it out? I'm afraid of breaking it off In the housing :???:

VA LSV
12-30-2015, 09:02 AM
My bad, I meant to say 1 fill valve and 1 drain pump per bag.

Use PB Blaster on the rusted plug and replace both with 1/4" NPT brass plugs. Should be ok with pulling the hoses.

Leirhiht
12-30-2015, 10:26 AM
My bad, I meant to say 1 fill valve and 1 drain pump per bag.

Use PB Blaster on the rusted plug and replace both with 1/4" NPT brass plugs. Should be ok with pulling the hoses.

Cool thank you. Where can I find these plugs ?

Leirhiht
12-30-2015, 10:32 AM
You have only 1 fill pump. It is the white pump lower left in the pic you posted. You then have the gray manifold that has 3 sprinkler valves, one for each bag. In your pic you've only removed 2 of the hose connections - remove the 3rd (you can see the red connection, top left in your pic.)

In the top right? I only see one in the right of the pic. What is that red lever in the lower left of pic mounted to the hull do?

Jceclipse01
12-30-2015, 11:20 AM
The lower left red lever is the ball valve for you ballast pump intake

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

brain_rinse
12-30-2015, 12:02 PM
In the top right? I only see one in the right of the pic. What is that red lever in the lower left of pic mounted to the hull do?
Yes, top right.

VA LSV
12-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Got 1 on the back left also.

Leirhiht
01-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Ugh!!! I still couldn't get the drain plug out of the v drive. It's soft and it rounded the bolt so now I'll probably have to chisel and hammer it out..
Was wondering what yall think of this...I took the hose off the rear starboard side of the v drive, I was thinking, can I just buy a small siphon system and siphon the water from where I pulled the hose?

brain_rinse
01-02-2016, 01:52 PM
There is very little water in the v-drive. Just pour a little anti freeze through and forget about removing the bolts.

Leirhiht
01-02-2016, 02:52 PM
There is very little water in the v-drive. Just pour a little anti freeze through and forget about removing the bolts.

Do i pour anti freeze into the top port with the circular knob? How much do I need to put in it and what kind? Will I need to remove it when it is time to.get out on the lake again or just run it normally?

This is my first boat ever and first to winterize, I have read forum member Cab13367's write up on winterizing and followed it. I have done all of the following:
-disconnect water pump hoses
-disconnect j hose near main pulley
-disconnected manifold hoses (no water came out)
-drained block
-drained exhaust
-drained and disconnected ballasts and removed bags.
-pulled hose from v drive.

Did I miss anything?

I was looking on the net for other winterizing procedures and people were saying that they drained water hoses for the transmission and pulled knock sensors, granted this was not for a moomba but I just want to make sure I have everything drained in order to protect my expensive investment.
I also read that you should run the bilge system in order not ruin that system. I did not do this because I removed the batteries and took them home already. Is there a way to do this manually?

I live in Texas and does not get very cold at night. It is just now starting to drop to the 30'store at night and warm up an hour or two later, boat is in an enclosed steel unit.
Sorry for the long response, I'm just hoping to get more info being that I am a newbie to this.

Thank you

brain_rinse
01-02-2016, 03:12 PM
Cab's winterization procedure is great and if you followed that for your 08 you are in good shape. What you are trying to do is remove all the water that is used for cooling, and at this point you are 99% done with that. The white strainer in your pic there to filter the lake water before it's pulled into the v-drive. This is the very beginning of the raw water cooling system. You would disconnect that hose from the v-drive and blow compressed air through. This would force out any small remaining amounts of water.

Another option would be to connect a fake-a-lake and start the engine to suck up some RV/marine antifreeze ($3 a gallon.) Here is a link to the fake-a-lake I use: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?8354-my-08-LSV-mods&p=67413#post67413 You'd connect the fake-a-lake to the v-drive - same place you removed the strainer. And if you want some extra peace of mind get 5 or 6 gallons of antifreeze and run it through the whole system. The running engine will turn the water pump which will pull the antifreeze through.

It's good that you are being careful and thorough. Way better than thousands on a new engine in the spring!

Do you have a heater?

Leirhiht
01-02-2016, 04:09 PM
The only thing I did not do was fog the engine because it has catalytic converters and read you don't need to fog. Should I be worried about this? I fortunately don't have a heater system. How long would I run the motor to get coolant in just the v drive? Is there not a way to siphon water from the v drive once strainer housing is removed?

jstenger
01-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Do i pour anti freeze into the top port with the circular knob?

Noooooooooo!

That is the oil dip stick. Do not put any anti freeze in there.

brain_rinse
01-02-2016, 07:35 PM
The only thing I did not do was fog the engine because it has catalytic converters and read you don't need to fog. Should I be worried about this? I fortunately don't have a heater system. How long would I run the motor to get coolant in just the v drive? Is there not a way to siphon water from the v drive once strainer housing is removed?
Best practice would be to remove each spark plug and spray a few seconds worth of fogging oil down into each cylinder. It's nothing that will cause you freeze damage though, just a good idea to keep the cylinder walls coated in oil during storage.

You can probably just use a hose/funnel to pour some antifreeze into the v-drive if you don't want to get a fake-a-lake. There is so little water in the v-drive that anything you do at this point is probably good.

There is a small bolt on the bottom port side of the muffler. I always drained that too, but many don't.

hans
01-16-2016, 01:04 AM
for the v-drive: there is not a water tank in your v-drive. it is just like if the water hose goes through the v-drive in straight line. so you don t need to suck any water. just remove the 2 hoses on each side of the v-drive and blow some air in the v-drive. Just be sure that there is no water in the hose between the v-drive and the raw water pump.
if you want to fill the engine with rv antifreeze (non toxic) : put a clamp on the hose that goes to the dripless seal on the shaft, connect all the hoses, put antifreeze in the 2 hoses that goes from the engine to the manifold, after that put antifreeze in the j-hose to fill the block, after that put antifreeze in the hose that goes from the engine to the raw water pump to fill the cooling system from the raw water pump to the v-drive. now all your system is full of antifreeze and protected against rust.
there is no water that goes in the transmission. an oil hose goes from the transmission to the heat exchanger to cool the transmisson.
the problem when you try the suck antifreeze in the engine is to be sure that the thermostat is open to allow the water (antifreeze) to go in the engine block. if you fill the engine like I explained you are sure that there is antifreeze everywhere.
sorry my english is not very good

jmb
01-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Started my boat yesterday just to run it. This way I don't have to fog it. Just drained the water back out. DD boat must be easier to drain. 2 engine plugs and manifolds and done. March is right around the corner. Also waxed it yesterday