PDA

View Full Version : Rub Rail Cleaning

05mobiusxlv
06-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Twice last year I had this happen, and now today. When loading my boat, if I do not load it perfect, and the rub rail rubs on my moomba guide pole covers, it leaves a nice 2-3 inch white streak, that looks like some of the white paint from the guide pole covers. I'm not hitting it all that hard either. Has anyone else had this happen?

I special ordered my boat, and missed the stainless steel rub rail option. When this happened last year, I tried every cleaner I had, but its IMPOSSIBLE to get off. After everything failed, I ended up buffing it off with a little rubbing compound, and a cheap-o buffer. But this year, i'm in a new storage unit with no power, so if anyone has any ideas to save me from pulling it to my apartment, i would greatly appreciate it. Do I have defective rub rails, should I ask for new ones?

Mtnoles
06-26-2006, 08:44 AM
I have used Turtle Wax on my rub rails to remove spots. Seems to work well.

qb12
06-26-2006, 08:50 AM
When I had my outback, this happened all the time, and a little acetone will take it right off.

db

YellowMoomba0
06-26-2006, 09:54 AM
I will try what you guys have said. My 04 Outback gets the same problem. Do not pressure wash. I am actually embarrassed to say I tried it.. ended up chewing a 2" long area that I am remined of every time out. Do anything but pressure washing.

tlrowe
06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
I get spots on mine from the black bumpers on my boat dock. I use soft scrub and a scouring pad and it works well.

gotmyboat
06-26-2006, 01:20 PM
I get the same thing on my '05 Outback. I use a scotchbrite pad, then buff it with Meguiar's ScratchX. I'm looking into plain black pole covers to eliminate this problem.

Dave

Livindadream
06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
SOS pads are a trick my dealer turned me onto. Work marvelously.

Jman
06-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Acetone is the way.

Jman