PDA

View Full Version : Interesting thought...solar panel(s) on the tower

mikenehrkorn
12-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I was just looking at a review on a new Yamaha that is supposedly equipped for surfing and I noticed a very intriguing feature -- solar panels mounted on the tower to provide trickle power to the batteries. That's a very interesting thought....anyone ever done it? Anyone know if they could generate enough power to keep up with the battery discharge if sitting for a while in a cove listening to the stereo??

trayson
12-09-2015, 12:50 PM
I'd say not a chance. they're pretty small. Solar is neither powerful nor efficient.

Something like that would be sufficient to keep the batteries topped off, similar to a little float charger. But they're probably going to put out a combined .5 amps; so about the amount of power generated by a weaksauce cell phone charger. Or about the amount of power that would charge an Ipod dock.

I had a 3' x 5' solar panel on my RV trailer and it was certainly enough to keep the batteries topped off over the winter. And it was enough to keep up with the LED lights. But really not much more than that. I am guessing that my 3' x 5' panel was maybe 2 to 3 amps.

CFD3Captain
12-09-2015, 01:06 PM
A few things worth noting as a former Yamaha Jet owner (have had 2). First, them calling it a surf boat is a stretch. None of them surf well at all without some modifications to displace the jet thrust that ruins the wave. Trust me, I waited for the new boats to get released to see if they were going to try anything unique to get them surfing. I really did like my Yamaha's, they were great boats. Just couldn't surf (hence why I'm now a Moomba owner)Second, that bimini is not a quick on/off bimini. It is to be left up and on like that all the time. To me, that's a deal breaker. Third, I guess the solar would be okay, but I think most of us all have on board chargers with access to power. They don't charge much at all ( an amp or two), they are more of a long term charger (a few days to a week to fully charge) It will not keep up with stereo use in a cove.

mikenehrkorn
12-09-2015, 01:09 PM
A few things worth noting as a former Yamaha Jet owner (have had 2). First, them calling it a surf boat is a stretch. None of them surf well at all without some modifications to displace the jet thrust that ruins the wave. Trust me, I waited for the new boats to get released to see if they were going to try anything unique to get them surfing. I really did like my Yamaha's, they were great boats. Just couldn't surf (hence why I'm now a Moomba owner)Second, that bimini is not a quick on/off bimini. It is to be left up and on like that all the time. To me, that's a deal breaker. Third, I guess the solar would be okay, but I think most of us all have on board chargers with access to power. They don't charge much at all ( an amp or two), they are more of a long term charger (a few days to a week to fully charge) It will not keep up with stereo use in a cove.

Agreed.....wasn't really looking at the boat to buy it I just thought the solar idea was interesting.

sandm
12-09-2015, 01:48 PM
that will make all the difference in selecting a yamaha jet as a surfboat over a "real" inboard....

NOT.........

credit yamaha tho for thinking how to drive the average sale higher. dealers will sell a few.

New Guy
12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
The real place to utilize solar would be on a covered lift.

dusty2221
12-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Does nobody notice that giant bimini? HOLY CRAP

smorris7
12-09-2015, 03:02 PM
That was the ONLY thing I noticed!
Does nobody notice that giant bimini? HOLY CRAP

CFD3Captain
12-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Yea sorry, I wasn't implying you wanted that boat LOL.

I was simply trying to state that the bimini is a use or lose. You can remove it, but it's not easy or quick. I was waiting for this boat to release because there was so much hype that it would throw a surf wave. Yamaha just found a way to get into someones pocket for 70k+ without doing anything TOO innovative.

Also, that a rack to put solar chargers on is only good for storage (weeks at a time...maybe a few days) There are a few guys who have made nice mounts for the tower with solar panels on them (probably where the mothership got the idea from on the forums)

viking
12-09-2015, 04:47 PM
There's a boat under that cover? LOL

zabooda
12-09-2015, 08:02 PM
They don't make a bimini big enough to solar power a stereo system and they are heavy and they don't like shock. Keep the electrical simple and you won't be stranded in the middle of nowhere without a paddle (i.e. solar panels and kill switches).

moombadaze
12-10-2015, 07:40 AM
my wife would love that bimini

zabooda
12-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Also, if I wanted that much glass sitting above me I would rather install a flip down flat screen TV.

BrettLee3232
12-10-2015, 03:18 PM
my wife would love that bimini

Exact same thing I was thinking lol I'm defiantly not showing her that pic haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
12-11-2015, 01:51 AM
My wife never wants to use the Monster Cargo bimini that we have. the only time our bimini goes up is if we have my mom on the boat, or if it starts to rain...

BrettLee3232
12-11-2015, 04:34 AM
My wife never wants to use the Monster Cargo bimini that we have. the only time our bimini goes up is if we have my mom on the boat, or if it starts to rain...

I couldn't imagine not using our Bimini in the Arizona sun. It's like 120+ degrees all summer haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk