PDA

View Full Version : Help- Wakeplate on Outback?

Skierdad
12-08-2015, 10:09 AM
Hello Everyone- First time post here but have lurked a few times.

I am looking at a 2011 Moomba Outback that is for sale. It does not have a wakeplate, but I am thinking I should probably have one on there if dad (me) plans to ski and the boys plan to wakeboard (they are very young). The dealership selling the boat says he will put a manual wakeplate on it, but when I called a Moomba dealership, the guy says that Skier's Choice doesn't make a wakeplate system for the regular Outback, only for the Outback V. He told me he talked to Skier's Choice about it.

I called the dealership back and they insist they can do a wakeplate and that their service manager used to be a Moomba service manager before coming to their inboard dealership.

Am I being lied to just to make a sale? Can a wakeplate be added to an Outback?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

sivs1
12-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Yes, you can a plate to pretty much any boat, do a google search for Trim Tabs, basically the same concept. Based on your notes above do you even need it? You plan to ski, your kids plan to wake board, have they ever boarded before? Do you ever think you'll get into surfing? If you truly want a DD, the Outback is a great boat, maybe look at a Mobius LS as well.

jstenger
12-08-2015, 03:20 PM
A wakeplate will do nothing for wakeboarding on that boat. The name is misleading. It doesn't make a wake, it flattens it out. That boat already has a flat wake.

deerfield
12-08-2015, 09:57 PM
Can a wakeplate be added to an Outback?

Skierdad – Found this 2007 Outback with wake plate, listed on Boat Trader. Plate appears to be adjustable. Since the Outback hull was the same for many years in a row, have to think adding one is a strong possibility for the 2011 of interest to you. If there is any question about viability of adding a wake plate, call Skiers Choice corporate office 865-983-9924 or The Boat House Midwest Operations President Jesse Gaengel 262-742-3898. Either source will give you solid guidance. My ’07 Outback has a fixed-position wake plate, installed at the factory. Wake plate is for my skiing benefit. Does nothing for my boys who wakeboard. For them, we fill a 400-pound ballast bag and load up with friends. Outback has been a good boat for the family. In addition to ski and board, we pull tubes. Might consider buying a barefoot boom. It has proven to be a great teaching aide for both skiing and boarding. - Deerfield

Skierdad
12-09-2015, 09:20 AM
OK. Thanks everyone. To be honest, if I could find a 2009 Mobius LS, that is actually the direction I would prefer. I believe 09 was the last year they were made. Ideally an 09 with a tandem trailer, lower hours, and some ballast would probably get my heart beating a bit faster.

At this point, I am passing on the '11 outback. Will wait it out until spring and see what happens then.

Thank you everyone for the help on this.

sivs1
12-09-2015, 10:46 AM
My 06 LSV is for sale, same boat as the 09 LS except it's a v drive. Skis well, but nothing compares to a dd for slalom.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

kaneboats
12-10-2015, 11:10 AM
If you are big into slalom the LS would be a great choice.