PDA

View Full Version : Vibration over 10mph

MEDIC151
06-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I noticed yesterday that I started getting a vibration while accelerating after about 10mph. I didn't hit anything and was wondering if this could be the shaft out of alignment? I have to take the boat in to have the shaft packing log replaced and thought that if it was out of alignment, it would start getting progressively worse. I have an 06 XLV. Any input would be appreciated.

Medic

Buttafewcoe
06-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Anything wrapped around the shaft? That's about the speed when vibes start. I know this because of limping home w/ a ski rope in tow.
Crikey
B

MEDIC151
06-26-2006, 10:05 AM
No, I have had hydrilla and a rope as well on my last boat, but that is not the case now. I looked at the prop and shaft when I got home from work this am, and the part that holds the shaft near the rudder does not look like it is inline with the rudder. I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to be to compensate for the rotation of the prop or not. I will be calling the dealer this morning as soon as they open.

Medic

BensonWdby
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
I think the strut (the part that holds the shaft near the rudder) is supposed to be perpendicular to the bottom of the boat. If not you definitely have a problem.
A bent srut would suggest that you hit something so look for marks on the drive shaft and the strut (as well as the propeller) and also on your trailer ....

Dave

MEDIC151
06-26-2006, 11:30 PM
I looked at the strut and it is not perpendicular to the hull. There are no marks on the shaft, hull, prop, trailer or rudder. I called the dealer and asked about it and he said that it would not be impossible for the shaft to be out of alignment so bad that the strut tourqed some. Seems like to me that the vibration would have been alot worse, but who knows. The shaft packing log was due to be replaced since they had a bad run of them on the 06 XLV's according to the dealer. They told me when I took it in for the 20 hour service that the shaft was out of alignment in the first place causing the rope packing seal to wear out faster than it was supposed to. I didn't get a call back from them today, but will let ya'll know what the outcome is one way or another. I hope this gets done soon, I have a 11 day trip to lake ouachita starting on july 11th. Can't go without it.

Medic