PDA

View Full Version : The *new* boat thread! The one I've been waiting to create :)

CFD3Captain
12-06-2015, 10:10 AM
What a search this has been! I've been on a rollercoaster of decisions and emotions. This started back in in late August and I have spent COUNTLESS hours looking at boats, reading forums, watching youtube and I've traveled some to look at boats. It began with a budget and a goal to accomplish (what we need the boat to do). As much as i wanted to buy a new boat, at the end it wasn't in the cards. I needed (and wanted) a new truck to pull whatever boat I did buy and as you can see by the pic and the thread I created a few weeks ago that was accomplished first. Our need was a boat that could surf, pull tubes and kneeboard, some occasional wake boarding and a boat we can hang out in at the cove. I think I checked them all off.

Before I get to the boat information I want to say thank you to the members here. The response to my thread asking about Moomba was very responded to, I received many PM's with advice and in the end, this forum felt like a home. I am a big community guy and the previous boat (Yamaha Jet Boat) had it's own forum and it was great place with great members. Same thing here, you guys are a testament to this community and I am excited to REALLY be a part of it now :) So thank you to you all! Without further ado..... (I apologize for the lack of pictures, yesterday was such a long day)

2014 Moomba Mondo. Manual Flow was installed as part of the deal. i'll post more details and pics later, but I pleasantly found 2 Exile Amps, All Exile cabin speakers and Exile Towers :)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/726/22932869014_4f9c3535b0_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AWuWZm)IMG_3253 (https://flic.kr/p/AWuWZm) by Nozzleman216 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/50034596@N02/), on Flickr

patrick232
12-06-2015, 10:15 AM
What a search this has been! I've been on a rollercoaster of decisions and emotions. This started back in in late August and I have spent COUNTLESS hours looking at boats, reading forums, watching youtube and I've traveled some to look at boats. It began with a budget and a goal to accomplish (what we need the boat to do). As much as i wanted to buy a new boat, at the end it wasn't in the cards. I needed (and wanted) a new truck to pull whatever boat I did buy and as you can see by the pic and the thread I created a few weeks ago that was accomplished first. Our need was a boat that could surf, pull tubes and kneeboard, some occasional wake boarding and a boat we can hang out in at the cove. I think I checked them all off.

Before I get to the boat information I want to say thank you to the members here. The response to my thread asking about Moomba was very responded to, I received many PM's with advice and in the end, this forum felt like a home. I am a big community guy and the previous boat (Yamaha Jet Boat) had it's own forum and it was great place with great members. Same thing here, you guys are a testament to this community and I am excited to REALLY be a part of it now :) So thank you to you all! Without further ado..... (I apologize for the lack of pictures, yesterday was such a long day)

2014 Moomba Mondo. Manual Flow was installed as part of the deal. i'll post more details and pics later, but I pleasantly found 2 Exile Amps, All Exile cabin speakers and Exile Towers :)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/726/22932869014_4f9c3535b0_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AWuWZm)IMG_3253 (https://flic.kr/p/AWuWZm) by Nozzleman216 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/50034596@N02/), on Flickr

Nice combo, let me know in the spring when you want to take it out.

BamaMojo
12-06-2015, 10:43 AM
Beautiful boat! Now, slam that bad boy with 2 tons of ballast !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
12-06-2015, 10:50 AM
She's beautiful! Congrats! Time for some garage boating.

sandm
12-06-2015, 12:30 PM
congrats...

wish our gas was $1.79. $1.95 currently.

CFD3Captain
12-06-2015, 12:34 PM
So I've ran into my first minor issue. I think it's an easy fix but I'll ask anyhow. I think the boats setting a little low on the hitch. It was the bar I had which is 3 1/4 drop that we've used with old boat. Problem is, my driveway is on a slight incline. Couldn't get the jack down with the boat backed in to drive. So will a less drop or straight bar help the trailer AND raise it enough to get the boat off the hitch lol

You can see in the pic above its riding nose low

CFD3Captain
12-06-2015, 12:38 PM
And since I got the cover off.....
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/0fdd0a8f8bd1edb09d06123dccea4ea4.jpg

patrick232
12-06-2015, 01:38 PM
I can't tell from the picture, what trailer jack to you have. If optional Fulton there is an adjustment to move up and down. But looking at the trailer and truck in the first photo you might need to raise the ball height on the truck. The Mondo has more weight up front than our LSV or XLV did. You might want to ask Santa for and adjustable hitch if you tow with the truck empty then load up for a week long trip at the lake. I have a Curt three ball adjustable.

CFD3Captain
12-06-2015, 02:42 PM
I don't have the optional good Fulton F2. It's standard Jack. I was just looking at the adjustable ones and that makes sense especially for loaded vs unloaded trips with the boat. Lots to choose from lol

BrettLee3232
12-06-2015, 04:14 PM
So I've ran into my first minor issue. I think it's an easy fix but I'll ask anyhow. I think the boats setting a little low on the hitch. It was the bar I had which is 3 1/4 drop that we've used with old boat. Problem is, my driveway is on a slight incline. Couldn't get the jack down with the boat backed in to drive. So will a less drop or straight bar help the trailer AND raise it enough to get the boat off the hitch lol

You can see in the pic above its riding nose low

Congrats and beautiful Mondo! I almost bought one very similar to that but wife decided on blue instead of red.

Easy fix with your trailer is the ol' switcharoo.

Take your ball off and flip your hitch upside down and put your ball back on. I had to do the same thing on my Ram 1500. Easy peezy & tows level.

CFD3Captain
12-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I thought about that but I think that will be too much of a rise. Worth a shot though. I'll probably pony up for the adjustable though

BrettLee3232
12-06-2015, 05:58 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/a42426bbdb0e8b126bafdab451429f64.jpg

It leveled mine out perfect but yeah not sure on the F150

sivs1
12-06-2015, 06:11 PM
Nice... congrats. On the hitch issue I use a simple 1 inch drop and it works well. I do have adjustable air suspension on my truck so I can cheat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BamaMojo
12-06-2015, 07:00 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/06/a42426bbdb0e8b126bafdab451429f64.jpg

It leveled mine out perfect but yeah not sure on the F150

Same on the F150 here and it is perfect.

CFD3Captain
12-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Well maybe I'll flip it and see what happens :) My biggest hope is that I can back it in the drive and get it off the truck lol.

BrettLee3232
12-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Well maybe I'll flip it and see what happens :) My biggest hope is that I can back it in the drive and get it off the truck lol.

It will work 👍

lee
12-06-2015, 10:02 PM

While your boat is on the street level the trailer out. Measure the height of the trailer coupler then take that measurement to your truck and that is the length of drop or rise you will need.

996scott
12-06-2015, 11:36 PM
beautiful boat, congrats and enjoy. I flip my hitch and it works great.

bluice311
12-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Congrats on the new boat, it looks great! I would invest in an adjustable hitch (went with Andersen 4" Rapid Hitch myself). I've used it on my lowered Tundra and now my lifted F250, towing 4 different trailers. Super fast/easy to make adjustments to insure your trailer is level.

gregski
12-07-2015, 12:30 PM
It will work
Not always... I have our hitch mounted like Bama's 2nd picture (1" rise) and that has the trailer level but the jack is within an inch of it's max when I raise it enough to unhitch. There have been times when it's come up short and I've had to put some blocks under the wheel. I'm sure there are some taller jacks, but I just carry a few blocks with me and call it good.

trayson
12-07-2015, 12:40 PM
congrats...

wish our gas was $1.79. $1.95 currently.

Don't complain. The wife put 30 gallons of 87 in the truck at $2.16

And both of my cars take premium, so even more for that.

sivs1
12-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Don't complain. The wife put 30 gallons of 87 in the truck at $2.16

And both of my cars take premium, so even more for that.

PNW is always more for gas. inlaws live on southern Oregon Coast and sometimes they'll pay 100% more than we do. mostly if we're around $2 they will be around $3.

trayson
12-07-2015, 12:52 PM
PNW is always more for gas. inlaws live on southern Oregon Coast and sometimes they'll pay 100% more than we do. mostly if we're around $2 they will be around $3.

Yet another reason I can't wait to retire and move to Park City!!!!

CFD3Captain
12-07-2015, 12:59 PM
So I flipped the ball and it's actually a little higher than level now, but manageable. Haven't tested to see if it will come off the hitch in the drive yet.

The new issue I have it the brake lockout is not working with the reverse lights as it should. I guess I have to tear into the wiring and see what's up. The little lockout thing is nice, but there is no way I can stand to have to use that EVERY time going in reverse. Anyone have a wiring diagram showing what colors are which?

sivs1
12-07-2015, 01:03 PM
So I flipped the ball and it's actually a little higher than level now, but manageable. Haven't tested to see if it will come off the hitch in the drive yet.

The new issue I have it the brake lockout is not working with the reverse lights as it should. I guess I have to tear into the wiring and see what's up. The little lockout thing is nice, but there is no way I can stand to have to use that EVERY time going in reverse. Anyone have a wiring diagram showing what colors are which?

My 2006 Boatmate trailer uses a 5-pin connector, is that the same on the 14's?

CFD3Captain
12-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Yea, its the same 5 pin connector. I use a 5 pin to 7 pin round flat adapter as that is what my truck has. It is possible that the truck side is not hooked up, but I doubt it. I will check it later. I think its the center pin but not sure.

mmandley
12-07-2015, 02:35 PM

First great looking Mondo.

Second the trailer on the truck needs to be between 21-23inches on a tandem trailer, other wise you add undo stress on your front axle. Also if you have the trailer too high on the hitch you are adding more tongue weight on your truck and that will raise the nose of the truck and cause fuel extra fuel usage. Also this will add undo stress to the rear axle and actually makes the boat more unstable on the trailer.

3rd what truck do you have? Are you using the 7 pin adapter from SC? So fare in the 4 trucks I have owned NONE required a rewire of the truck or boat connections.

Sometime it has a missing fuse from the factory in the engine bay box that you need to install to make all the pins on the 7 work. I would investigate before moving wires around.

Grab a test light, put the truck in reverse, test your pins on the truck to see if the reverse lights up. On the trailer its White wire if I recal.

CFD3Captain
12-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Thanks. Have a 13 F150. I planned to check with a test light and good info on the fuse box. Will check that as well.

I'll measure how she sets tonight. Taking her to work (inside garage) to get some winter cleaning done and hopefully get her put away tomorrow.

sivs1
12-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Don't forget to pick up an Ohio State flag!

CFD3Captain
12-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Don't forget to pick up an Ohio State flag!

To wipe my A$$ with maybe ;) I'm not an OSU fan...sorry...

gpd005
12-07-2015, 04:21 PM

THIS WAS AN AWESOME COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

really nice set up I'm sure you will put it to great use! Up next will be the longest winter of your life!!!!!!! When your ready for a cold water ride let me know I'm in the next state and always ready for a cold set!

lee
12-07-2015, 05:39 PM

The blue wire on the trailer is for the reverse lights/back-up soleniod.

sivs1
12-07-2015, 06:26 PM

Ouch!!!! to each his own I guess :p

That Guy
12-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Congrats! Looks great! Where in Ohio are you? I'm down for a meet with the Ohio crew next year if you guys out something together.

CFD3Captain
12-07-2015, 09:23 PM
An Ohio meetup sounds like a plan and we have a few months to plan it :)

How do I know which Exile Tower speakers I have? I took them off the tower and I don't see any markings???

Jwredmon101
12-07-2015, 10:00 PM
An Ohio meetup sounds like a plan and we have a few months to plan it :)

How do I know which Exile Tower speakers I have? I took them off the tower and I don't see any markings???

You have XM9s .. and the reason I know that is because .. thats my OLD BOAT!!! Congratz buddy .. she was a great one!!

wolfeman131
12-07-2015, 11:18 PM

Best be careful . . . .

A certain moderator may not take too kindly to this and has no problem hitting the ban button.

patrick232
12-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Best be careful . . . .

A certain moderator may not take too kindly to this and has no problem hitting the ban button.

We can only do that with maze and blue flags right ;)

CFD3Captain
12-08-2015, 03:02 AM
You have XM9s .. and the reason I know that is because .. thats my OLD BOAT!!! Congratz buddy .. she was a great one!!

AWESOME!! It was well worth the drive to get her! Congrats to you BTW on the Craz! I may be PM'ing you to ask a few questions....

rdlangston13
12-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Congrats on the new boat. She looks good and I'm sure she'll provide you with tons of fun and memories!

Sent from my iPhone

MJHSupra
12-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Congrats on the new boat, it looks great! I would invest in an adjustable hitch (went with Andersen 4" Rapid Hitch myself). I've used it on my lowered Tundra and now my lifted F250, towing 4 different trailers. Super fast/easy to make adjustments to insure your trailer is level.

With locks. Those are nice and the thieves with take that if not locked down . . . .