PDA

View Full Version : Outback factory ballast

NCSUmoomba
06-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey gang, quick question for you! I have a 2001 Outback with the factory ballast system and I am trying to figure out how many pounds it is so I can add some fat sacs, but not overload the boat. So does anyone know how big the factory ballast is? Also, has anyone developed a better way to fill the factory system so it can be done while moving? It seems like pointing the water intake out the back of the transom was not the best idea.

Thanks,
-Brian

Buttafewcoe
06-24-2006, 04:58 AM
I have an '04 Outback w/ fac balls. Rear sac only.....275#........I added 2 ea. 440# launch pads for a total 1155#.
Hope this helps
B

NCSUmoomba
06-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info that helps, but I have another question. I am getting some upholstery work done on my rear seat and the ski locker cover, so when I took all of that apart, I uncovered the ballast tanks. My curiosity got to me, so I took out my tape and measured them. Each tank is about 8" tall, 10" wide, and 60" long. This ends up being 4800 cu.in, which is about 21 gallons each. And 42 gallons of water is right around 350 pounds. So do we have different tanks? Or are the tanks not uniform enough in shape fo my measuring to be accurate? Either way, if I subtract that from the max load capacity, that leaves 1000-1100 pounds. Add say 4 people for at least 600 pounds and at least 100 pounds for gear and and cooler and such. I am left with only about 300-400 pounds of ballast that I can add. Well, at least I am just a beginner wakeboarder and I still love to slalom ski, so it's not a big deal yet. I guess folks that are primarily wakeboarding wouldn't be buying the direct drive Outbacks anyway.

-Brian

h20addiction
07-01-2006, 02:44 AM
I have a 06 Outback with a factory rear ballast. The dealership said that it was a 600lb bag. Does that sound about right? I though about buying a Launch Pad lounge for the bow. What do you all think?

NCSUmoomba
07-03-2006, 11:06 AM
How much does the launch pad bow bag weigh? I read somewhere that ballast should be distributed about 60% rear, 40% front. Just be aware of the maximum weight capacity of the boat. Oh and by the way, I called Skier's Choice last week and I asked them about the ballast in my 01 Outback and they confirmed that mine was in fact 350 pounds.