PDA

View Full Version : How to crank engine without it starting

lsupcar
11-19-2015, 03:47 PM
I want to know how to crank my 2015 Raptor 400 without it starting. Preferably with it getting no fuel or spark.
This time of year my boat may sit on the lift for several weeks between uses, and before I start it, I would like to just crank it for a short while to build oil pressure. I was able to accomplish this with my old Mastercraft with the Predator motor by just pulling the cutoff lanyard.
When I do this with the raptor, the engine will not turn over.
Any advice?
Thanks.
Bill Z

mmandley
11-19-2015, 04:50 PM
Not off the top of my head.

But do you realize that cranking it with out starting it is the exact same wear and tear as starting it?

You should just crank it up and if you don't have oil pressure in 5-7 seconds shut it off and look for the problem.

If you do want prime it, then you need to disable the Fuel system.

Honestly I wouldn't mess with all the trouble of disabling things. Honestly it sitting for a week in your lift between starts is no different then taking it out every day and starting it each day. Oil doesn't stay on the cylinder walls any longer from 1 week as 1 day.

lsupcar
11-20-2015, 10:34 AM
Thanks for your response.
I believe there is a difference in the pressures on the wearing surfaces between a running engine and a cranking engine.
If it was only a week between starts I would not worry about it.
I hope to go out on the boat this weekend for the first time since the beginning of September.
I mentioned I wanted to do the cranking without fuel or spark. In the old boat there was nothing to disable to achieve this. Just pull the lanyard. I was hoping there was a similar technique for the raptor.
Otherwise I'll Just start and not worry.

gregski
11-20-2015, 04:22 PM
I'd just start it and not worry. I'm with Mike, I don't think there would be much to gain in terms of lubrication from cranking without actually starting. When you did this before, could you see the oil pressure come up on the gauge while cranking? I'd actually be worried that the cranking speed of the starter wouldn't be enough to fully pressurize the system.

If you still really want to, you could apply 12V to the starter solenoid. That would spin the starter with the ignition being on.

MJHSupra
11-20-2015, 08:00 PM
I'd actually be worried that the cranking speed of the starter wouldn't be enough to fully pressurize the system.

I've heard this from the hotrod guys on motors.

For rebuilds on the first crank, most builders rely on the lube for the initial startup.

aapwayneo2001
11-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Just unhook the ignition coils, or take the ignition and fuel pump fuses/relays out

Sent from my 👀📞 using Tapatalk

Mikes
11-22-2015, 12:01 PM
If you start unhooking things you will likely set codes in the ECM.

DOCDRS
11-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Press NSS, advance throttle to WOT position, this should put the ECM in flooded engine mode and no fuel will be delivered to engine and it will still crank

lsupcar
11-24-2015, 12:04 AM
Press NSS, advance throttle to WOT position, this should put the ECM in flooded engine mode and no fuel will be delivered to engine and it will still crank
That's the kind of idea I was hoping for. I will see if this works.
Thanks.