PDA

View Full Version : In preparation for the next boat.....I bought this :)

CFD3Captain
11-15-2015, 12:10 AM
It's not the second thread I wanted to create.....(that would have been the one with the new boat) But this one will do.

Pulling our old jet boat was a breeze with my wife's explorer (actually pulled it really well) but I knew I would be REALLY pushing it beyond its limit with any of the current Moomba's or any tow boat for that matter. I initially thought I would "try" it with the Explorer, but the safety side of me got the best of me. So I broke down and bought myself a truck WITH my wife's approval and go ahead :cool: (she actually told me to) We didn't think putting the cart before the horse was the best practice. I think I pissed my local dealer off because he didn't respond back to my email letting him know we would be waiting to order a new boat and that the new tow vehicle was a must, but whatever.

So anyhow, it's not the best picture but I am super excited :)
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/750/22443035027_47e1f207d4_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/AcdqpM)IMG_3168 (https://flic.kr/p/AcdqpM) by Nozzleman216 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/50034596@N02/), on Flickr

deerfield
11-15-2015, 01:09 AM
CFD - Nice. Any tow boat will look good behind that truck. - Deerfield

TheDude
11-15-2015, 08:42 AM
I'm sure you'll love it. My brother-in-law just got one with the 3.5 and the max tow package. I have yet to drive it, but the numbers stack up to make a great tow rig.
Personally, I try to keep to the SUVs as I just personally prefer over a p/u. Hard to find a midsize SUV that can tow, so I'm in a Hemi Grand Cherokee Ovrrland that I love and it tows my '15 Moomba OBV like a dream.

CFD3Captain
11-15-2015, 09:41 AM
The "ONLY" thing my truck doesn't have is the Max Tow pkg. But I am okay with it. It would have only gotten me the 3.73 rear end and the tow mirrors (which I really like) I have the 3.55 rear end, so about 1000# less capacity but better mileage when not towing. Even without it, the towing capacity is still pushing 10k. The mirrors I can add later if I really want them ;)

sandm
11-15-2015, 11:31 AM
good looking rig. that would be my first choice in a new ride.

trayson
11-15-2015, 12:36 PM
That's almost exactly the rig that we came very close to ending up with. Black Fx4 with those same 20" wheels. However we got a deal we couldn't resist on the sterling gray with a 6" lift, 20's and 35's. LOVE the truck, I'm sure you will too. It's got more luxury features than my Audi or BMW!

And the back seat legroom is insane. adults back there on a road trip was no worries! Our truck is my wife's daily driver and she thinks it's great. CONGRATS and welcome to the club!

CFD3Captain
11-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Thanks guys! We really like it and yes it has tons of room and plenty of "luxury" features that I didn't "need" LOL! Now the boat hunt is on and I am not limited to the size of the boat :)

jtatexc
11-15-2015, 09:56 PM
I actually just got a 2015 lariat fx4 with the 3.5l and love it too. I even got the same color as you :) I'll have my first tow with it this coming weekend , I can't wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mmandley
11-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Good looking truck, that was my last truck except I had the longer bed on it. Pulls really well though.

I also wanted the tow mirrors, but for 400 you can get direct bolt ons as long as you have the power mirrors that heat, and fold in already.

Also I would seriously look into upgrading the front brakes when they are due for replacement, get the cross drilled / slotted rotors with performance pads. More then once towing the Mojo going the big hill at LBC the front brakes were smoking at the bottom and I could tell I had brake fade.

The Hill decent is really nice and works pretty well, set it before you need it, but remember its only so good...Going down the hills even with truck in 1st and the Mojo behind ours it pushed the truck hard enough it disengages the hill decent. <hence the over heated brakes> Mind you I am not knocking the truck at all, and I don't use my Mojo trailer brakes on this particular hill, the trailer brakes smoke going down this hill as well, then you spend 45 minutes waiting to splash the boat. So yea I am causing some of the over heating but on all 3 of my Diesels I do this same thing and they have no issues going down this hill with the Mojo in tow.

Also you may want to look into Over load springs, air bags, or Roadmaster Active Suspension for the rear when hauling the boat to help with squat. If you level the front you will have even more squatting. My Mojo is 650 tongue weight and my truck dropped 3inches when I loaded it.

Pulls awesome though, no issues there at all.

Really fast truck for as big as it is when just driving around town too, lots of get up and go with those twin turbos, but remember any RPM over 2K and you are burning a ton of fuel spinning those turbos LOL

That Guy
11-16-2015, 10:02 AM
Looks great. I've got one as well, but in Blue Flame Metallic. Tows our boat great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

BamaMojo
11-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Nice truck
Think mine is Mineral gray???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beat taco
11-17-2015, 03:50 AM
Not a fan of the tow mirrors unless you tow a TT
Details man! We want to know year and miles lol. It looks super clean.
Now level it and throw some 35's on her :)

CFD3Captain
11-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Not a fan of the tow mirrors unless you tow a TT
Details man! We want to know year and miles lol. It looks super clean.
Now level it and throw some 35's on her :)
'13 FX4 with the 3.5 Twin Turbos (sounds so much better than Ecoboost LOL) 34k miles.

Thought about the leveling kit but not sure on tires. I can fit it in the garage now (barley) if I get a bigger tire, deals off and she sets out through the winter :(

trayson
11-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Nice truck
Think mine is Mineral gray???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ours too. Great color.

'13 FX4 with the 3.5 Twin Turbos (sounds so much better than Ecoboost LOL) 34k miles.

Thought about the leveling kit but not sure on tires. I can fit it in the garage now (barley) if I get a bigger tire, deals off and she sets out through the winter :(

We have the same 2013 FX4. It's WAYYY too big to fit in the garage stock, much less with the 6" lift and 35" tires. But that's why the factory remote start on the FX4 is so awesome!!! The wife can pre-heat the truck and it takes some of the sting out of the fact that it's stuck outside. :-)

dusty2221
11-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Are garages tiny up in the PDX?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

trayson
11-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Are garages tiny up in the PDX?

Well, I have the basic 8' ceilings in my house and that translates to the garage. So the opening on my garage doors is only 7' tall. I know the length of my garage was just enough to fit the Honda Ridgeline. So if the ridgeline is 17.25 foot long I'm guessing my garage is only 19 to 20' long? on my 1st and 2nd bays, I have a workbench along each of the back walls and a garage sink. so that takes up space. I can park the Audi wagon in the 1st or 2nd bay, but even with the 3rd bay where I have garage doors on each end and no workbench, the F150 is 3' longer than the ridgeline so wouldn't fit. and I'm not even sure if it'd fit under the 7' doors either.

It's not that our garages are small. It's just that I have a middle of the road house.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S0uRPMlx-b4/RqhSuSW93TI/AAAAAAAAQzo/3HyIWuc-E48/s640-Ic42/DSCF0057.JPG
However, if I sold my house here and bought something in Texas for that same money, I could get a house that would cost me $100k more back at home. so I could sell my home here for $270k (1,787 sqft 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 3-car garage on 7000 sqft lot) and turn around and get a house in Texas that up here would cost $370k for comparable. it's nuts).

And houses in Portland cost even more than what I have in Vancouver. It's not California bad though. :cool:

Oh, and I just did the math. if a stock 4x4 supercrew is 78.5" tall, and we add 6" for the lift and 1.5" for going from the stock tires at 32" to 35's, then that puts the height of the truck at 7'2" tall and we'd be at least 2 inches too tall (prob more because of the approach angle).

beat taco
11-18-2015, 06:47 PM
I thought it was sterling grey metallic trayson

CFD3Captain
11-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Ours too. Great color.

We have the same 2013 FX4. It's WAYYY too big to fit in the garage stock, much less with the 6" lift and 35" tires. But that's why the factory remote start on the FX4 is so awesome!!! The wife can pre-heat the truck and it takes some of the sting out of the fact that it's stuck outside. :-)

My factory remote start SUCKS! I guess I am used to the aftermarket viper system on my wifes Explorer. I can start that thing from like a mile away LOL. The truck, I am lucky if I can do it from inside the house.....

trayson
11-18-2015, 07:06 PM
I thought it was sterling grey metallic trayson

Oh you're probably right. I get my grays confused.

My factory remote start SUCKS! I guess I am used to the aftermarket viper system on my wifes Explorer. I can start that thing from like a mile away LOL. The truck, I am lucky if I can do it from inside the house.....

Yeah, you're right on that. with line of sight to the truck through a window, I'm lucky if I can get it started from inside the house. And the fact that you have to hit 'lock' first. that's odd.

dusty2221
11-18-2015, 07:23 PM
I was just asking mainly about length. Thanks for the education though.

trayson
11-19-2015, 12:23 AM
I was just asking mainly about length. Thanks for the education though.

LOL. pretty typical of me. type a few paragraphs with a picture to a question a sentence could answer...

You'd think I like to hear myself talk on the interwebs or something... Or you'd think I'm a hyper-analytical CPA that types too fast for my own good...

beat taco
11-19-2015, 02:02 AM
http://www.amazon.com/2011-2013-Ford-Lincoln-Android-Devices/dp/B00CDURGNO

Short and sweet. Start your truck with your smartphone. Way cheaper on ebay.

sivs1
11-19-2015, 11:17 AM
Well, I have the basic 8' ceilings in my house and that translates to the garage. So the opening on my garage doors is only 7' tall. I know the length of my garage was just enough to fit the Honda Ridgeline. So if the ridgeline is 17.25 foot long I'm guessing my garage is only 19 to 20' long? on my 1st and 2nd bays, I have a workbench along each of the back walls and a garage sink. so that takes up space. I can park the Audi wagon in the 1st or 2nd bay, but even with the 3rd bay where I have garage doors on each end and no workbench, the F150 is 3' longer than the ridgeline so wouldn't fit. and I'm not even sure if it'd fit under the 7' doors either.

It's not that our garages are small. It's just that I have a middle of the road house.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-S0uRPMlx-b4/RqhSuSW93TI/AAAAAAAAQzo/3HyIWuc-E48/s640-Ic42/DSCF0057.JPG
However, if I sold my house here and bought something in Texas for that same money, I could get a house that would cost me $100k more back at home. so I could sell my home here for $270k (1,787 sqft 3 bedroom 2.5 bath 3-car garage on 7000 sqft lot) and turn around and get a house in Texas that up here would cost $370k for comparable. it's nuts).

And houses in Portland cost even more than what I have in Vancouver. It's not California bad though. :cool:

Oh, and I just did the math. if a stock 4x4 supercrew is 78.5" tall, and we add 6" for the lift and 1.5" for going from the stock tires at 32" to 35's, then that puts the height of the truck at 7'2" tall and we'd be at least 2 inches too tall (prob more because of the approach angle).

California or Park City, same problem, the billionaires are pushing the millionaires out of Park City into the surrounding areas driving those prices up. I'm now about a month away from my house being done, 2,300 sq ft finished with another 2,100 sq ft in the basement. Garage is 24.6 feet with 8ft tall doors, big enough for the truck or the boat.

Truck has remote start but RAM also has uConnect tied to my cell phone so can start it from anywhere, I use that while skiing and can start my truck from the ski lift on my last run so it's nice and warm and all the fresh snow has melted off.

beat taco
11-19-2015, 11:48 AM
Maybe I was too short. Here us the factory part number. DL3Z-19G364-A

CFD3Captain
11-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Thanks, I've already looked into that.......didn't really care for the $50 annual fee. Thats kind of BS.

trayson
11-19-2015, 02:21 PM
2,300 sq ft finished with another 2,100 sq ft in the basement.

Sounds like you'll have plenty of room for us to come visit to ride at Park City and Canyons! We'll just crash in the basement. :-)

beat taco
11-19-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks, I've already looked into that.......didn't really care for the $50 annual fee. Thats kind of BS.
What about the long range remote start fob?

trayson
11-19-2015, 02:55 PM

Check out this, it's a TSB to fix the range problem...

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-14-oem-remote-start-poor-range-fix-313713/

sivs1
11-19-2015, 05:24 PM
Sounds like you'll have plenty of room for us to come visit to ride at Park City and Canyons! We'll just crash in the basement. :-)

Come on down, basement will be finished by the summer!

CFD3Captain
11-19-2015, 08:17 PM
Check out this, it's a TSB to fix the range problem...

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/2013-14-oem-remote-start-poor-range-fix-313713/

Good find! Mine's still under warranty so I will see about getting this done ASAP :)

trayson
11-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Come on down, basement will be finished by the summer!

I think we'd aim for a winter trip first! The wife has never skied there and now that she has a new ACL, this season should be better than ever. :-)

trayson
11-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Good find! Mine's still under warranty so I will see about getting this done ASAP :)

Yeah, we'll likewise hit up our dealer with the TSB and see what they can do. We're under warranty until March.