PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with WakeMakers.

jester
11-13-2015, 11:44 AM
I have been holding off on writing this since in the past I have had great luck dealing with Wakemakers. I have purchased full ballest upgrades from them, props and recommended them to countless people. This time is different.

Background:
This summer I had been looking at new props and decide to contact WakeMakers. I sent them in the testing I did and my full testing setup with the two other props I had and where I was having issues. After the recommendation from WakeMakers and Acme I ordered the new prop. I received the prop in and found a day that was like the other days I tested the other props. After testing the prop for less than an hour I pulled off the prop because of cavitation, massive speed changes and prop wash. I contacted WakeMakers with my results and their first response back was that my boat might be weighted incorrectly or some other interference. I let them know that when I do testing I make sure everything is the same within my control.

My issue:
I requested an RMA since I cannot use this prop. I was informed that they would not accept an RMA because it was used. I was told it is not out of the ordinary for prop retailers not to return props. I am not in the prop business so I do not know what other business do or do not do. All I know is that on the back of the packing slip under the RMA section it reads “If you don’t love your order, we’ll gladly accept it for a return” It also states the only products that they will not accept a return on is “Custom made products, or cut to length items such as hose and wire” I stated this too WakeMakers and received a response back of “Wakemakers and most other retailers also do not accept used product back. We would gladly accept a brand new propeller back. But after it has been used it is not re-sellable.” This is clearly a contradiction on what my packing slip says but they did not care. If the document they sent me said they would not accept a prop back it would not be an issue but it does not say it.

Sorry for the long story but wanted to get the information out.

sivs1
11-13-2015, 12:00 PM
that sucks, sorry to hear. Drive to Bend and take it back in person, see what they do. Props aren't cheap and their attitude about it sucks.

trayson
11-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Like yourself I've generally had great experiences with WM. There have been a couple times I haven't agreed with them on issues: One time they promised me a store credit and then when it came time I wanted to use it they couldn't find any evidence of it and told me that the person that offered it to me shouldn't have done so and they didn't honor it. But it wasn't all that much money and I got over it.

I can understand where both of you are coming from. WM tends to be pretty aggressive in their pricing and I'm sure that keeping tight margins means that some of their policies are likewise getting tighter. (I'm not saying that they're "justified", I'm saying that I can see where they're coming from.)

On the flip side, it sounds like you had certain expectations that weren't realized. especially when A prop is a big chunk of change. Just a thought: Have you reached out to the prop manufacturer to see what their take on this would be? Maybe if the prop manufacturer gives WM authorization that they will take it back, it could still go through?

wolfeman131
11-13-2015, 01:55 PM
karma for switching brands, maybe? kidding, of course.

Sorry about the situation, but really not surprised. What would WM and/or ACME do with the prop you returned? Neither could resell it as "new" as it would be fairly easy for the next buyer to see that it has been installed/used. Doesn't matter how long it was on the boat/in the water; it's used. You sure wouldn't have been happy if you found this when you opened the box WM sent you.

FYI - below is from Nettles Props and reads to be about the same policy. Note that it clearly states "NEW condition" which is different than "like new (only been in the water for an hour":

10. If you purchase a new Acme propeller and wish to return or exchange it back to Acme, the propeller must be in NEW condition and in original box.
There is a 25% restocking fee to return or exchange an Acme propeller. However if you purchase a commonly stocked Acme propeller from our store we will be happy to work with you in exchanging for the right prop.

KG's Supra24
11-13-2015, 02:29 PM
"Ahhh man, bet nettles would take care of it" was my first thought Drew.

I think there would be a little more leniency if it was a recommendation of theirs and it did not perform as expected.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
11-13-2015, 03:45 PM
I think there would be a little more leniency if it was a recommendation of theirs and it did not perform as expected.

If it was my business, I'd have to stick to the policy that once it's on the boat, it's yours. Otherwise, you would have a lot of "nearly new" (i.e. used) props that you would have to give away.

Wonder why none of them offer a demo program?

brain_rinse
11-13-2015, 03:49 PM
OJ had a recommended prop and an alternate. Said if I wasn't happy with the first prop after a demo I could send it back and swap for the other one. They also refinished my dinged up stock prop for free.

wolfeman131
11-13-2015, 03:54 PM
How was that going to work with OJ?

They sell through dealers, not direct, don't they?

brain_rinse
11-13-2015, 03:57 PM
I went straight to them because they also had a rudder part I needed. I guess I assumed they sold direct but maybe I just caught them on a good day. But was seriously impressed.

jester
11-13-2015, 04:12 PM
karma for switching brands, maybe? kidding, of course.

That Karma thing has been kicking me down. In reality it has been kicking me down before I got the new boat. Guess I must have stepped on a bug that wants payback.

I would be fine if the return policy said that they would only accept new props back. But the fact is the policy that shipped with my prop did not say that.

wolfeman131
11-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Not sure if they have updated the website since your issue came up, but WM does have this posted on their customer service page:

Returns for propellers, propeller pullers, custom bags, kits, lengths of hose, lengths of wire, and any other custom modified product are not accepted. All sales on these products are final.

http://www.wakemakers.com/customer-service

don't worry about that lil' ole bug. Squash that f'er and move on, brother!

trayson
11-13-2015, 05:04 PM
All I know is that on the back of the packing slip under the RMA section it reads “If you don’t love your order, we’ll gladly accept it for a return” It also states the only products that they will not accept a return on is “Custom made products, or cut to length items such as hose and wire”

Is it possible that you read into their statement and made the assumption that the statement on the packing slip was unconditional?

Their warranty policy is on their website:

Your satisfaction is our biggest priority, which is why we gladly accept returns on any new product for up to 30 days from the date your order ships.* Refunds will be issued to the original payment method. Returns on orders older than 30 days can not be processed and are unable to be accepted.

The two statements aren't inherently contradictory.

trayson
11-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Not sure if they have updated the website since your issue came up, but WM does have this posted on their customer service page:

Returns for propellers, propeller pullers, custom bags, kits, lengths of hose, lengths of wire, and any other custom modified product are not accepted. All sales on these products are final.

don't worry about that lil' ole bug. Squash that f'er and move on, brother!

Their page read differently on September 17th, without the special mention of props.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150917035510/http://www.wakemakers.com/customer-service

KG's Supra24
11-13-2015, 06:47 PM
If it was my business, I'd have to stick to the policy that once it's on the boat, it's yours. Otherwise, you would have a lot of "nearly new" (i.e. used) props that you would have to give away.

Wonder why none of them offer a demo program?

I meant leniency in their way of thinking due to the fact it was their recommendation. Also, i hardly believe they aren't resellable. And based on what was posted above, the competition does accept reasonable returns. Add to it the actual return policy confusion ... def a bum deal.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

zabooda
11-13-2015, 07:48 PM
I have never had problems swapping out new props. I wouldn't buy from a place that wouldn't allow it. Also, the dealers need to know the characteristics of the boat including ballast to be able to get the right prop. I would expect to swap props but I wouldn't be happy if I had to do many swaps.

smorris7
11-14-2015, 12:35 AM
I can assure you Nettles or any other local Prop Dealer would gladly except the return. It can most certainly be resold. I have purchased props and returned them in exchange for a new prop more than once. It's not like it's an electronic device...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smorris7
11-14-2015, 12:36 AM
I would reach out to Spencer. I'm sure he can get it resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobP
11-14-2015, 11:41 PM
It sounds as if when Jester purchased the prop, with their recommendation, neither their website nor their packaging slip indicated that a used prop could not be returned. Since then they seem to have udpated their website, not sure about their packaging slip (but I'm sure they would point to the website now for any disputes since they posted it). I think a respectable business would honor his return as all of the information he had access to indicates it is not a prohibited return.

beat taco
11-15-2015, 06:15 AM
Just call Spencer