PDA

View Full Version : Raptor HP misrepresented

DaveM
10-31-2015, 03:11 PM
I have noticed a number of dealers including mine in Dallas advertising boats with the 400 Raptor engine as 400 horsepower. This is false advertising as the engine's actual HP is listed anywhere from 350 (in Tige brochure) to 380 (some forum readers). I'm wondering if this opens up a potential lawsuit given our litigious society. Anyone old enough to remember the Oldsmobile Rocket V8 class action suit??? Indmar shares some blame since they market the engine as 400, a torque number, not HP. Seems to be misleading since no one else in the industry uses torque as their power figure. I'm just ranting.

kaneboats
10-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Sounds like an honest mistake to me. But if a dealer is misrepresenting it will only hurt the dealer.

zabooda
10-31-2015, 06:52 PM
The 400 would be a model number of the engine. If there is a correlation between that number and torque then the dealers need to understand that. I haven't seen 400 corresponding to the horsepower anywhere else. It was brought to our attention on the message board a while back.

Crane man
10-31-2015, 10:31 PM
When I purchased my boat, my dealer was very quick to correct my comment of 400hp. The raptor engine is a big bore small block that produces high torque at lower rpm. The engine is rated at 354-383 hp depending on exhaust/intake and computer tuning. For gearheads it is taking a gm 350 and making it a 383 stroker. Just giving best performance at lower rpm or better fule economy at surf to wake range. That said if you try slalom or barefoot behind raptor you will loose w5% or better economy on a wake boat. We drive floating bulldozers not flat bottom skimmers.

mmandley
11-01-2015, 01:44 AM
When the engine was released there was print about the number designation. Miss informed people, dealers tag it wrong.

All raptor engine destinations are Torque not HP.

In the past all engine designation was HP not torque.

pauley71
11-01-2015, 12:24 PM
I got some literature from my dealer that compared the Mondo, Craz and Mojo. They listed it as 383HP.

rdlangston13
11-01-2015, 01:54 PM
As per the Ford website, that engine, as configured for the Super Duty truck line has 385 hp and 405 lb/ft of torque. I assume this is the same configuration as the "Raptor 400" since all the boat websites advertise 404 lb/ft or torque. I am not sure of the HP on the 440 Raptor but I saw the torque listed as 427 lb/ft.

It does seem confusing using the torque rating as a designation on the 400 and possible a HP rating as a designation on the 440. Looks like they may just be rolling with whatever number is higher. This is also from indmars website so I would imagine if there was a law suit it would be against them instead of a boat manufacturer.

icemanftr
11-05-2015, 05:02 AM
Well what was the torque rating on us who run the 330 and 345 Indmar motors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
11-05-2015, 05:20 AM
Well what was the torque rating on us who run the 330 and 345 Indmar motors?

345 horsepower and amazing 370 ft-lbs of torque

325 horsepower this is what it said.
Supra and Moomba chooses to display the Indmar name. Indmar doesn’t publish its horsepower or torque ratings, but they are reported by others to range from 310-450 horsepower.

With a bit of digging I found it produces 380 ft-lbs of torque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIxbSRNuKuo

icemanftr
11-06-2015, 12:02 AM
So the Indmar 330 in my 2013 LSV isn't too far behind from Raptor. I was seriously thinking of upgrading boat just for that motor.

mmandley
11-06-2015, 12:10 AM
So the Indmar 330 in my 2013 LSV isn't too far behind from Raptor. I was seriously thinking of upgrading boat just for that motor.

Personally I wouldn't upgrade for the engine. Reprop your boat if you want more torque as torque = hole shot.
HP is only for top end speed. IF you want to go faster then prop it for speed.

The only reason I see buying for the engine is to get the 5 year warranty on it. I am still good for another 2.5 years as I have a 5 year on my drive train and electronics in my Mojo.

wolfeman131
11-06-2015, 12:29 AM
So the Indmar 330 in my 2013 LSV isn't too far behind from Raptor.

Maybe not a fair fight, but the 345 I had in the Mojo had nuthin' on the Raptor I have in the Supra.

icemanftr
11-06-2015, 12:38 AM
Personally I wouldn't upgrade for the engine. Reprop your boat if you want more torque as torque = hole shot.
HP is only for top end speed. IF you want to go faster then prop it for speed.

The only reason I see buying for the engine is to get the 5 year warranty on it. I am still good for another 2.5 years as I have a 5 year on my drive train and electronics in my Mojo.

Yeah I hear you there. I already upgraded my prop to the Acme surf prop for hole shot, I could give two shits how fast my boat goes. Lol I just surf and wakeboard, no skiing aloud.

rdlangston13
11-06-2015, 06:20 AM
You are gaining over 50 hp and 20 lb ft or torque with the raptor motor. And there may be a big difference in torque curve as well. I would say it's s reasonable improvement.

Sent from my iPhone

CRAZy440
01-27-2016, 12:20 PM
You are gaining over 50 hp and 20 lb ft or torque with the raptor motor. And there may be a big difference in torque curve as well. I would say it's s reasonable improvement.

Sent from my iPhone

I am betting the fuel economy is way better as well. From what I am hearing from folks that have had both old GM and the new Ford, its significant!

mmandley
01-27-2016, 08:09 PM
I am betting the fuel economy is way better as well. From what I am hearing from folks that have had both old GM and the new Ford, its significant!

I can believe that but I personally haven't seen or read anything like that. Direct Injection is more efficient.

My old LSV with the 325 Assult 5.7 was closer to 7gpm and the Mojo with the 345 Surf is a pretty solid 5gpm

icemanftr
01-31-2016, 02:51 AM
I can believe that but I personally haven't seen or read anything like that. Direct Injection is more efficient.

My old LSV with the 325 Assult 5.7 was closer to 7gpm and the Mojo with the 345 Surf is a pretty solid 5gpm

Bro! That's like 6 mins of surfing before each fill-up. 😉🍻

mmandley
01-31-2016, 01:26 PM
Bro! That's like 6 mins of surfing before each fill-up. ����

I do that all the time lol gpm instead of gph lol

icemanftr
01-31-2016, 09:11 PM
Lol I figured. 🏄