PDA

View Full Version : When are you getting your new boat?

kaneboats
10-26-2015, 03:00 PM
So, let's hear your plans. Anybody getting a new boat soon? Picking colors and options? Or have a 3-5 year plan to upgrade?

moombadaze
10-26-2015, 04:28 PM
since your asking, the order is placed

mmandley
10-26-2015, 06:18 PM
I've been torn on this topic, I of course would love a new boat but I just can't see the numbers falling in place to make it worth upgrading. Between what I paid for my Mojo and what it would cost to have a decent upgrade is almost double what I paid for the Mojo. Kinda hard to jump to 2x the debt in a boat for only some upgrades.

The difference from my LSV to the Mojo was HUGE with only a 25% price increase. To go up now would be at least 50%-100% price increase.

Plus I got a few irons in the fire that might take priority over buying a new boat. I might be buying something else mid 16 that will make a new boat a no go for a couple summers. <for the peanut gallery...No Not another New Truck> LOL

All depends on Claudia..

zabooda
10-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Probably never for me. My boat has depreciated to the point there is no more loss and if there is nothing major going wrong I will keep it.

wolfeman131
10-26-2015, 10:24 PM

BamaMojo
10-26-2015, 10:29 PM

Wow, surprised.. So, spill the beans, what are you waiting for?
Model etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viking
10-26-2015, 10:41 PM
Probably not for awhile. But I'm always shopping!

moombadaze
10-27-2015, 06:55 AM
Wow, surprised.. So, spill the beans, what are you waiting for?
Model etc....

jumping ship, getting a old mans boat

going fishing.....

sandm
10-27-2015, 08:00 AM
I would love to buy a new boat, but in my price range of 60-80k, there is nothing out there that I think offers a significant increase over the wave I currently have to justify buying a new one and most boats in that price range are not going to have some of the features my current boat has so essentially paying more money for less boat.

as boats continue to increase in price and features get more expensive, the decision to upgrade becomes harder and harder when you look at it from a $$ issue as mike mentions.

sivs1
10-27-2015, 09:08 AM
I am hoping for something new or newer. My LSV is for sale! There are a lot of good choices available, have been very happy with my Moomba and SC, just have to see how the cards stack up.

That Guy
10-27-2015, 09:59 AM
I ordered my '15 back in March and when I took it down for winterization a few weeks back we talked numbers on a '16 and while I was comfortable on what I could get out of my current boat the price increases just don't seem worth it. The price I got on my '16 is nearly $11k more than the price I got on my '15 just 6 months ago, equally equipped! Thanks but no thanks, I'll hold onto this one for awhile.

rdlangston13
10-27-2015, 04:59 PM
I priced out a new Mojo yesterday and it came in around the upper 70s. I know my dealer could probably get that number down a bit for me but with Nolan just being born, us just purchasing a new SUV and us trying to give Nolan a sibling in a couple years we are 3-5 years out I would say. We did opt for the bigger SUV with the idea that since it can do the work of a tow vehicles we wont need a new truck anytime soon so we can get a new boat sooner. That was the though process anyways. Main issue on the new boats is it seems the price rises are 2-3 times the rate of inflation. Heidi put a budget limit on me and it's ok this year but in 3-5 year it wont be enough for a new bare bones Mondo much less a Mojo lol.

mmandley
10-27-2015, 06:05 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion that we will see the RV type market drop on its face in a few years like the housing market did back in 08-09

With all the big dollar RV loans people are pulling for 20-30 years at a time i think you will start seeing a big market of used boats and Rvs and lots of repo stuff in time. The market will flip to a buyers market. Right now the Dealers are raising prices hand over fist because the banks are loaning money like its candy, just like they did on houses a few years back.

zabooda
10-27-2015, 06:56 PM
I have a sneaky suspicion that we will see the RV type market drop on its face in a few years like the housing market did back in 08-09

With all the big dollar RV loans people are pulling for 20-30 years at a time i think you will start seeing a big market of used boats and Rvs and lots of repo stuff in time. The market will flip to a buyers market. Right now the Dealers are raising prices hand over fist because the banks are loaning money like its candy, just like they did on houses a few years back.

I was going to say the same thing but it is hard to tell when it will happen and for some people they are the one affected. In 2009, I bought a Winnebago motorhome and a Jeep Wrangler for half of the Blue Book. We need another one of those drops to keep people honest. It was also a good time to buy a home or rentals. My Moomba book value is only $1,500 less than what I paid for it in 2002.

wolfeman131
10-27-2015, 07:42 PM
The price I got on my '16 is nearly $11k more than the price I got on my '15 just 6 months ago, equally equipped! Thanks but no thanks, I'll hold onto this one for awhile.

Uh, just so folks are clear about your post - you don't own a Skiers Choice product, do you?

mmandley
10-27-2015, 08:51 PM
I was going to say the same thing but it is hard to tell when it will happen and for some people they are the one affected. In 2009, I bought a Winnebago motorhome and a Jeep Wrangler for half of the Blue Book. We need another one of those drops to keep people honest. It was also a good time to buy a home or rentals. My Moomba book value is only $1,500 less than what I paid for it in 2002.

I'll be honest I was caught up in that market crash, I had a house I purchased for 235K when the market crashed I lost 90K in the house value. I lost my entire life savings getting out of that house. We decided to get out because I knew the house would never recover that value without me spending another 30-40K in it. I cut my loses and sold it for 40K less then I owed. I basically paid the new owners to take the house from me, later that year the heating and AC went out, and the roof was replaced by them last year, so in 3 years they put another 20K into it. Was a big loss on my end but still ended up being the best move.

Now I make sure I am really green in my purchases and I always pay 2-300 a month more on things then I owe encase something happens.

So while I could buy a new fancy 100K boat right now, I choose not to in fear of the market crashing if I owe 80K on it.

jmvotto
10-27-2015, 09:07 PM
It will be a quality used 24 ft tooner to compliment the moomba :mrgreen:

That Guy
10-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Uh, just so folks are clear about your post - you don't own a Skiers Choice product, do you?

That's correct!

KG's Supra24
10-27-2015, 10:22 PM
It will be a quality used 24 ft tooner to compliment the moomba :mrgreen:
I'm with this guy .... except a surf device keeps me thinking.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

deerfield
10-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Probably never ...

I'm with Zabooda. In my case, our '07 Outback has been great. Does most everything we need. Is dependable, easy to maintain, and low cost to operate. A good teaching boat, especially with the barefoot boom. Keeping it in the family for the next generation.

Rorymulderrig
10-28-2015, 04:55 AM
I was hoping to order a Mojo but there are no UK importers so its going to have to me an Axis or Mastercraft I think, disappointed as I really like my Moomba.

jmvotto
10-28-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm with this guy .... except a surf device keeps me thinking.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ghetto gate will do wonders on the supra , easy peasy.....

Ironcross25
10-28-2015, 04:49 PM
After dreaming of a mojo since they came out, we finally got one this year. I think I'll hold on to it for a while

Nick
2012 mojo
05 outback-sold

BamaMojo
10-29-2015, 08:04 AM
jumping ship, getting a old mans boat

going fishing.....

Have you sold your towboat?

moombadaze
10-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Have you sold your towboat?

yep, been gone almost 2 weeks now

very painfull to watch it being towed away
still planning on lake martin 2016 tho, hopefully I can bum a surf ride then

BamaMojo
10-29-2015, 04:16 PM
yep, been gone almost 2 weeks now

very painfull to watch it being towed away
still planning on lake martin 2016 tho, hopefully I can bum a surf ride then

It would be my pleasure, the new boat is bad ass.... Surf wake is amazing
You guys let me know what weekend you will be there and I will make plans and the fam and I will rent a place that weekend to catch up.

trayson
10-29-2015, 04:25 PM
I've been torn on this topic, I of course would love a new boat but I just can't see the numbers falling in place to make it worth upgrading. Between what I paid for my Mojo and what it would cost to have a decent upgrade is almost double what I paid for the Mojo. Kinda hard to jump to 2x the debt in a boat for only some upgrades.

The difference from my LSV to the Mojo was HUGE with only a 25% price increase. To go up now would be at least 50%-100% price increase.

Plus I got a few irons in the fire that might take priority over buying a new boat. I might be buying something else mid 16 that will make a new boat a no go for a couple summers. <for the peanut gallery...No Not another New Truck> LOL

All depends on Claudia..

Truck Camper?

Or are you selling your suburb house (that happens to be located way out in the country) to get something where you actually have some acreage that matches up with your "country living" ideals?

I'll be honest I was caught up in that market crash, I had a house I purchased for 235K when the market crashed I lost 90K in the house value. I lost my entire life savings getting out of that house. We decided to get out because I knew the house would never recover that value without me spending another 30-40K in it. I cut my loses and sold it for 40K less then I owed. I basically paid the new owners to take the house from me, later that year the heating and AC went out, and the roof was replaced by them last year, so in 3 years they put another 20K into it. Was a big loss on my end but still ended up being the best move.

I can kind of relate. I got divorced in 2007 at the peak of the housing market and ended up cashing out my Ex on her supposed portion of the "paper equity" of the house. (community property is a stupid concept because it was my house before we married, and I was the one with the real income to make the house payment, yet the courts give her half the appreciation? What a friggin joke).

So I had to re-fi the house and set myself up for a big amount of negative equity when the inflated value crashed. I kept the house though. In the end, I can make my payments, I like the house and location, and have no need or desire to move. So it could be way worse. And I ended up with an amazing new wife, tons of toys, and am very, very happy. So in some regards, it's "just money".

trayson
10-29-2015, 04:31 PM
On the original question, when I had my Supra Sunsport Direct drive, I knew that "ultimately" I'd end up in a v-drive. it happened last year, well ahead of schedule.

But now that I have my XLV, I'm hard pressed to feel the "need" to upgrade. I've got a 23' boat, with the 340 fuel injected engine, a playpen bow, flip up backrests, updated ballast system, great mid-range stereo system, and I've been doing lots and lots of mods to make the boat more fun and enjoyable. So it'll be a while before I run out of ways to make the boat "new" and fresh. I got a great deal on it and now that I've sold my Jeep I'll be paying down a huge chunk of my loan. It just doesn't make sense to get into something different in the foreseeable future.

I can make the surf wave pretty good. I am happy with the wakeboard and even the slalom wakes. The seating, layout, asthetics... It's all good.

(and these are all things I have to keep telling myself so that I can STAY content in the boat that I can afford).

kriley
10-29-2015, 04:57 PM
I am going to the boat show ready to buy a new 2016 boat - I have it narrowed down to three different Boat manufacturers :D.

jtatexc
10-29-2015, 06:18 PM
We just got our 2016 craz a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. We traded in our 2006 tige and it is in every way better! we were down to the moomba and tige r20 with a lot of toys and felt we got a lot more for the money from moomba. We already have 40 hours on it since mid august and have zero complaints. Happy winter shopping everyone! !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BamaMojo
10-29-2015, 07:10 PM
We just got our 2016 craz a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. We traded in our 2006 tige and it is in every way better! we were down to the moomba and tige r20 with a lot of toys and felt we got a lot more for the money from moomba. We already have 40 hours on it since mid august and have zero complaints. Happy winter shopping everyone! !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Great boat!

Teamqualls
10-29-2015, 09:47 PM
New member here. I just bought a 16 Craz this week. Lake testing this weekend.

BamaMojo
10-30-2015, 06:58 AM
New member here. I just bought a 16 Craz this week. Lake testing this weekend.

Congrats on a great boat! Enjoy the addiction!

New Guy
10-30-2015, 09:40 AM
At this point in time there is no way that I should / could justify upgrading, our Mojo is exactly what we wanted when we ordered and I just cannot see burning up all that equity.

icemanftr
10-30-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm really torn on the New Craz and or even a 15 Mojo. I own a 2013 LSV and have done just about everything I can to her, actually just ordered Moomba manual flow surf this week so I have a surf system. This will also help keep boat competitive if I do decide to sell. But I rode on a demo craz and loved the boat through and through and of course that new Raptor motor with closed cooling is so effin sweet! I only owe 29k on my 2013 LSV I bought new, just hard to justify a new boat and barely getting money back out of boat. I see 8-10 year old boats selling for more than they cost new back in the day and don't want to lose my ass just cause I haven't kept it long enough. But I sure do love the New lineup and the space and design of Mojo.

Crane man
10-31-2015, 12:02 AM
Spent 7 years saving and didnt know what I wanted until the 2013 chicago boat show. From the first time I sat in the mondo I knew it was the boat I wanted but didn't want to pay that much for a "boat". Spent the next 2 years looking in the used market and looked at/drove many inboards. Never found a boat in good enough condition to justify the price and the few that I would have wanted where 4-8 years old and withing 15-20% of a new mondo. I ended up getting mine at a wakebaord competition with "boatshow" discounts. The baot is loaded and I payed 2k less than stock pricing. Boat prices will continue to rise at 5-8% plus additional 5k every year until the used market comes back.

bergermaister
10-31-2015, 09:35 AM
New boat? Is hell freezing over anytime soon??

trayson
10-31-2015, 02:03 PM
New boat? Is hell freezing over anytime soon??

Berg will ultimately be buried in the basement locker of his yellow MobiusV

kaneboats
10-31-2015, 03:10 PM
Well, my 2008 was purchased new in 2010. Have had it for six seasons and still love it. I have actually had it longer than any other boat I've owned. While I could go for a new Craz I will soon have 4 kids in college. And, no matter how hard I try we only end up putting about 50 hrs. a year on it with all the other activities. So, I think I'll be buried in this one too. The good thing is that if I'm 80 years old I expect it will still be functioning. Chevy block, no wood in it. May be on the third trailer by then and 4th or 5th interior but-- so what?

millerda68
11-01-2015, 12:22 PM
We bought our 2010 in 2011 as left over stock from AWS. With all we have done to it (Stereo, new prop, ballast upgrades, etc), I can't see making any upgrades or changes at this point. Yes some of the new boats and features are cool, but I would have to start all over again. We have 340 hours on our boat and a lot of life left on it. I just can't see making any changes in the foreseeable future. The LSV does all we need and more.

mikenehrkorn
11-02-2015, 09:45 AM
I'm with Berg.....unless they are expecting a deep freeze in hell I will be in my '13 OBV for a while. :-) But we still love it and I can live with that.

Probably have a better shot of getting a 'toon for that next boat!!