PDA

View Full Version : A quick couple of general service questions

bjrow
10-26-2015, 03:29 AM
Well seems like I've been getting my hands dirty doing the oils etc. All good so far I think.
Just did the V-drive oil, could only suck out about 370mls of the supposed 500mls is that normal or is there a bit of a trick to it?
The trans oils was easy.
The rudder where it comes thru the hull, is there some way to grease it? I couldn't see any grease nipples while I was upsidedown in the engine bay!
Thanks, BruceR

VA LSV
10-26-2015, 06:34 AM
V-drive capacity is 1 qt when completely empty but you will never suck it all out. Should have gotton a lot more than 370 ml unless it wasn't full when you drained it? Rudder should have a zerk fitting just above the flat plate the mounting bolts go through. Hard to see but should be on the side facing the motor. Just greased mine yesterday.

jstenger
10-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Place a pie pan under the v-drive. There is a drain plug near the bottom facing the tranny. Remove it to get all the oil out.

bjrow
10-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the replies, all new to me this stuff so your comments are most welcomed.
Will take another look at the rudder to find the grease nipple part then understand where the V drive drain plug is for next time, sounds a much better way to drain the oil.
Cheers.