PDA

View Full Version : Mojo ... analysis paralysis - and dealer question

pauley71
10-24-2015, 10:14 AM
So I plan to get a Mojo, that much is pretty much locked in; however I always tend to over research and think way to hard on things like resale. Quite honestly I'm try to avoid that moment where you say "I wish I would have gotten this or that". Some of that is unavoidable. I can afford MSRP, but never pay it b/c I'm always thinking exit strategy and need to get the best deal possible.

That said, my dealer has a 2015 Mojo that is ok but it doesn't have auto-flow and the colors aren't what I would pick. I'd like to order new, but he's giving me close to MSRP pricing. I'd wait for the boat show but then you are in the weird spot if pricing isn't much better and I wish you would have taken the 2015 deal. Ugh.

So I looked around at other dealers who list their 2015s and found a couple but don't want to impact my relationship with my dealer. QUESTION - If dealers are supposed to stick to their territories, then why do dealers post their boats on nationwide internet sites like onlyinboards.com and boattrader.com??

I'm sure my mechanic will support warranty work, but when you need something fixed before a holiday weekend .. I'm won't be a priority which makes good sense.

So how do you deal with a dealer that has a couple 2015s that he needs to move before he will start dealing on newer models?

jimmylsv
10-24-2015, 10:50 AM
With a purchase as expensive as a new boat get the colors and options you want. It really does not pay off in long run to settle just because is was a little cheaper. The dealer will be a lot more motivated to deal in the next couple of months. As far as buying for re sale. The cost of these boats keeps going up. Also when you go to sell the boat , the new standard will be auto flow. Be patient order a new boat with colors, options you want and enjoy it. If you are even considering an option at purchase time, add it to the boat. The last thing you want is to have your new boat and six months later wish you would of gotten auto flow, or dual axle trailer, or have to settle for a second choice color. Best thing I ever did was order a new boat , with all options wanted.

BamaMojo
10-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Pauley,
The dealer territory thing baffles me. IMHO that seems like price fixing as most dealers seem to have similar pricing structure.
I can tell you that my local dealer ( Skiers Marine) has always treated me like a great and valued customer even though I purchased from an individual. I believe it will all come down to how the dealer sees their customers.
Good luck in your search...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
10-25-2015, 05:40 AM
If I understand it correctly, dealers are not supposed to sell outside of their areas with new current model year, but once the next year models are out, "holdovers" can be sold anywhere. I did find when shopping for my last boat that most dealers will sell to anyone tho. real issue will come down to service at your local dealer if you do not buy from them. to some, that's a big deal. to me, I do most of my own work so dealer support is/was really only for warranty work and not a big deal to me to be without the boat for an extra weekend if it saves me 5k on the purchase.

I would never take a stock boat that is a color you don't want or missing options you think you may want. search another dealer or order new...

my .02 and good luck...

ghebert1111
10-25-2015, 11:29 AM
My local dealer in Birmingham is Skier's Marine, SM. I too was looking for the best deal for 5 months earlier this year and had worked with Skier's Marine to find one but never got the OK from the wife. Then I came across a great deal at Atlanta Marine, AM, on a 2014 Mojo (this is in June of 2015). I told AM that I had been working with SM but that SM didn't have any leftover 2014s. AM told me they would call SM and make sure all was well with them selling to me. Cut to the chase, I got the boat from AM. Since then I've had SM do a few service items on the boat and they have been nothing but nice and professional. I guess his all depends on the dealer but it worked out fine in my instance.

samvq1
10-26-2015, 08:34 PM
You have had your first "I wish I had gotten this or that" moment. By pointing out an option that it doesn't have and saying that you don't really like the color, you have settled for less. Do you really want to spend that much money for something you really don't want

viking
10-26-2015, 10:45 PM
My local dealer in Birmingham is Skier's Marine, SM. I too was looking for the best deal for 5 months earlier this year and had worked with Skier's Marine to find one but never got the OK from the wife. Then I came across a great deal at Atlanta Marine, AM, on a 2014 Mojo (this is in June of 2015). I told AM that I had been working with SM but that SM didn't have any leftover 2014s. AM told me they would call SM and make sure all was well with them selling to me. Cut to the chase, I got the boat from AM. Since then I've had SM do a few service items on the boat and they have been nothing but nice and professional. I guess his all depends on the dealer but it worked out fine in my instance.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the dealer and I'd bet you are in the minority on your experience with competing dealers. And I'm not isolating it to just SC. Seems to be that way all over the industry. And these exclusive territories imo are what keeps the bad dealers in business. The good dealers will always keep the doors open with a combination of competative pricing, customer service, and a good service department. Sounds like you have 2 decent dealers real close to one another. AGAIN - very rare!! Kinda like a jack-a-lope siting.

pauley71
10-27-2015, 11:27 AM
You have had your first "I wish I had gotten this or that" moment. By pointing out an option that it doesn't have and saying that you don't really like the color, you have settled for less. Do you really want to spend that much money for something you really don't want

You are right ... thanks for pointing that out!

pauley71
10-27-2015, 11:30 AM
It has EVERYTHING to do with the dealer and I'd bet you are in the minority on your experience with competing dealers. And I'm not isolating it to just SC. Seems to be that way all over the industry. And these exclusive territories imo are what keeps the bad dealers in business. The good dealers will always keep the doors open with a combination of competative pricing, customer service, and a good service department. Sounds like you have 2 decent dealers real close to one another. AGAIN - very rare!! Kinda like a jack-a-lope siting.

I would agree. What's the incentive for bad dealers? I like SC (so don't skew what I'm about to say) but their customer is the dealer and as long as they are buying boats ...

In looking for left over 15's, I've met some solid dealers that are willing to split the profit with my dealer to help with my dealer relationship for warranty work.

mmandley
10-27-2015, 04:34 PM
When dealing with the dealers buying the last 2 boats, I had no issue bringing an outside network boat in for the deal. On my LSV I was originally going to by a boat from Idaho Water Sports but I technically can't because AWS was my dealer. Both dealers were willing to split the profits and ship the boat to Oregon.

When I got my Mojo it was a Demo show boat. Sent to Cali for the Western Sales Rep to use and display. We bought it from him and it had to go through a dealer as well, so AWS it was. Now it was a slightly different deal because he didn't make anything off it, but because I wanted more options then it had, the Dealer had to install all the things I wanted. Point being Dealers will work with you in transferring boats.

On the topic of buying what you want, and not regretting the options you did or didn't buy, I buy my trucks like this. i always try to get fully loaded trucks. The last thing I want to do is pull up at a light and look at the truck next to me and think "Dam i should have gotten that option". It doesn't always work out lol. My Ram is missing 1 option I really wanted but the package was not available as a 14 left over. I wanted the Power Folding mirrors, they are only allowed on Laramie Luxury trim and I have Laramie trim. Also I cant upgrade aftermarket due to the way the internal computers are set up. Sucks but I got everything else I want in a truck.

rdlangston13
10-27-2015, 04:39 PM
On the topic of buying what you want, and not regretting the options you did or didn't buy, I buy my trucks like this. i always try to get fully loaded trucks. The last thing I want to do is pull up at a light and look at the truck next to me and think "Dam i should have gotten that option". It doesn't always work out lol. My Ram is missing 1 option I really wanted but the package was not available as a 14 left over. I wanted the Power Folding mirrors, they are only allowed on Laramie Luxury trim and I have Laramie trim. Also I cant upgrade aftermarket due to the way the internal computers are set up. Sucks but I got everything else I want in a truck.

I use the crap out of our power folding mirrors on the expedition! They are sooooo nice :)

mmandley
10-27-2015, 06:08 PM
I use the crap out of our power folding mirrors on the expedition! They are sooooo nice :)

Yup had them on the last 2 trucks and its no nice to fold them in. Makes walking by easier. Now I have to push the drivers mirror in as I get out of the truck.

I just remind myself of the sweet air suspension this one has, hands down the best ever feature I have had.

rdlangston13
10-27-2015, 09:20 PM
I kind of wish we had the load leveling rear suspension on the expedition but it seems like every vehicle I've seen with a system like that always has problems eventually and always costs a fortune to fix!

Sent from my iPhone

Isaguel
10-28-2015, 09:02 PM
I agree with your efforts at trying to get below MSRP price. You have to think immediate depreciation, and discounts will help. These boats these days, overall, are very nice. You have to have a REALLY messed up color scheme to dislike it. A 10k discount helps it look even better.
I got my 2015 mojo in August. It was a show model loaded with many options. When I met the dealer they were advertising like 4500off show boat special. Without much hassle they gave me 10k off. I was very pleased. It is black/red/white and the savings make it look beautifull!
I have auto flow, heater, s tower, non-skid options all around, and lots of other stuff too long list to type. The only options missing were the non-skid carpet and the 440 motor.
I am more than happy.
Keep looking, there's a deal out there for you even if the color may not be exactly what you want. Unless you're bursting at the seams in cash and price doesn't matter.

Regarding your question about options:

Get the auto flow. I wouldn't go without it.
The heater is not worth it IMO. I wouldn't of ordered it, but it was there, so, yeah.
Non skid setup is worth every penny.
I don't use the underwater LED lights, but I guess they're ok if they're there.
Docking lights are great, the interior LED lighting option is very nice. Worth it.
Transom stereo control, haven't used it. Would prefer a wrist worn Bluetooth control for the stereo. I think Malibu has something like that.$$$
Raised/moldedMoomba side lettering, metal flake paint are great touches that really elevate the visual appeal. Worth 600$ or whatever extra.

jtatexc
10-30-2015, 09:36 AM
I was in the same place with get a 2015 that didn't have auto flow and the colors i didn't love or pay more and wait for build, so glad I waited! The build process was so much fun knowing it was 100% mine and having the autoflow2, I couldn't imagine not having it now. My thought is to pay the little extra if need be and get what will make you totally happy. There is nothing worse than looking at a 70k in the garage that you don't absolutely love (so I hear, I live mine :) )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

New Guy
10-30-2015, 10:30 AM
I could not imagine not having a heater. It is one of the most frequently use items in Wisconsin.

sandm
10-30-2015, 05:52 PM
mine has never been on. guess it's from being a fair weather boater :)

mmandley
11-03-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm a big fan of the heater. We rarely use it as a personal heater but I love to kick it on to keep feet warm. I have mine mounted in the storage area behind the drivers seat. 1 vent blows right up under drivers seat and warms me feet. The other hose goes to the main cabin. Throw a towel over it with you feet and presto no cold feet.

I personally, and Claudia also, won't use the heater other then for our feet. Crew will take a towel and cuddle under it with the heater inside, but for me and Claudia that just makes you colder when you finally turn it off.

It is a really nice feature though after riding with a wetsuit and your in dry cloths trying to warm up.