PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy a 2001 Grand Cherokee?

kaneboats
10-21-2015, 10:21 AM
OK, I have a chance to pick up a car for teenagers to drive. I don't like putting brand new drivers in little Honda Civics as I'd like them to survive their first fender benders.

We know a 68 year old lady who bought her 2001 Grand Cherokee new at the dealer and has always had it serviced there. She is selling it now with 111k on it for around $3k. I don't think I can pass it up but I really don't know crap about Jeep. I know we had a 1999 Dodge minivan that had transmission issues. I'm not sure what transmission would be in this thing or if it would be a problem if I service it immediately-- heck it may have been done on schedule anyway. It's the Limited version with the 6 cyl. and no 4WD. Shouldn't be too bad on gas. Our high school is only about 5 miles away from here so I'm not too worried.

I know the old Jeep Cherokees would run forever. I think this is the same straight six that was in those but haven't looked at the car yet. I think we see it tomorrow. Anybody owned one of these or have an opinion about this thing? I can handle some little issues but not major ones. What do you think?

sivs1
10-21-2015, 10:24 AM
We had a 2003 and loved it. There are some recall issues and concerns so review those and be sure they have all been fixed. Otherwise I would go for it, of course I would need 4wd.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
10-21-2015, 10:45 AM
I'd bet it's going to be a v6, not the straight 6. I'd be more worried about reliability vs it's other counterparts of the same era.

But knowing how it was treated and at 3k ... doesn't sound like you have much to loose, especially if in good shape and been granny driven. For a teenager, it's a cool looking car and the body style is still pretty relevant .... bc that's really all that matters dad :)

kaneboats
10-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Well, it is an old lady gold color but agree it's not too bad. It's also kinda loaded up and leather. Granny is a realtor/broker.

Looks like if it is a 6 cyl. it is the 195 hp I-6. That would be a good thing.

http://www.cars.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2001/specifications/?acode=USB10JDS051B0

sandm
10-21-2015, 01:05 PM
buddy had a few of them. mostly grand cherokee limited. he complained about the auto climate control and some of the associated electronics. last one had over 300k on the original motor but was on his 3rd tranny.

trayson
10-21-2015, 01:31 PM
The 4.0L inline 6 is BULLETPROOF. seriously. that engine will go another 150 to 200k miles without any doubt.

111k is nothing on a Jeep. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the tranny.

Seems like a great teenager rig.

patrick232
10-21-2015, 02:57 PM
With it being an I-6 I would go for it. I know many with over 200K on them.

KG's Supra24
10-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Well, it is an old lady gold color but agree it's not too bad. It's also kinda loaded up and leather. Granny is a realtor/broker.

Looks like if it is a 6 cyl. it is the 195 hp I-6. That would be a good thing.

http://www.cars.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2001/specifications/?acode=USB10JDS051B0

I guess I shouldn't comment without knowing, huh. Nice catch. We had the v8 in that model. It drank gas but loved it otherwise.

mjr119
10-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Definitely an inline 6. I've had a dozen of these things. Lifted and everything in between. The engines are strong. I used to pull a 21ft centurion with mine that had 225k on it. It wasnt far to the ramp but it did just fine.

Tranny's will need to be replaced but you should be good for a while. Just drive it and listen for anything out of the ordinary. The classic 1st to 2nd gear shift jerk will be evident if you are paying attention.

Dual climate control is an issue on WJ jeeps. Pretty expensive to buy the parts to fix it.

See which transfer case it has. I think the 242 is the best but cant remember when they stopped using that one. Pretty much the t-case that has 2wd or 4wd is more desirable than the all time 4wd model. I've been out of jeeps for a while so my memory is a little foggy.

kaneboats
10-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks, guys. Gonna see it at lunch time today. It's got 2WD only.