PDA

View Full Version : Winterization questions

boater4life
10-06-2015, 01:18 PM
I have a 2014 Mondo with the 409 motor. Looking to make sure I winterize it correctly (never done it myself before). These are the steps I took so far:
1. Removed strainer and dumped out
2. Removed rear plug in transmission cooler to let water drain out
3. Disconnected hose immediately after tranny cooler (right next to plug in step #2 above) and drained
4. Separated exhaust header hoses where they meet by water strainer
5. Removed and drained both hoses at the water pump
6. Drained all the hoses where they meet at the heater inlet and outlet are (I don’t have a heater)
7. Drained the block on both sides using the extension hoses with the brass caps
8. Removed all ballast bags from boat

My questions are:
1. Is that good enough?
2. Should I run RV antifreeze through the motor using a fake-a-lake?
3. Is there a drain on the v-drive itself? (separate from the plug on the v-drive cooler)

I did some searching on the internet but wanted to ask these questions just to be sure. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks for the help, just don’t want to be sad come April next year if I do it wrong!

MLA
10-06-2015, 10:24 PM
1) oil and filter change, v-drive and trans fluid. Fuel treatment and filter. clean and lube steering cable and rudder zerk. clean flame arrester. Some replace the impeller, some wait till spring and other pull the impeller and reinstall in spring. Charge batteries.
2) air wont freeze, so getting all the water out is most important.
3) ussually, but depending on the unit, most of the water drain out when the boat is pulled from the water. if you disconnect the hose on the other side, you dump what might collect there. Just make sure the trans cooler gets dumped as they are often remote and can be a low spot in the raw water plumbing.

lee
10-07-2015, 06:17 AM
What color was the fluid that came out of the engine. was it not antifreeze?

DOCDRS
10-12-2015, 05:24 PM
I have a 2014 Mondo with the 409 motor. Looking to make sure I winterize it correctly (never done it myself before). These are the steps I took so far:
1. Removed strainer and dumped out
2. Removed rear plug in transmission cooler to let water drain out
3. Disconnected hose immediately after tranny cooler (right next to plug in step #2 above) and drained
4. Separated exhaust header hoses where they meet by water strainer
5. Removed and drained both hoses at the water pump
6. Drained all the hoses where they meet at the heater inlet and outlet are (I don’t have a heater)
7. Drained the block on both sides using the extension hoses with the brass caps
8. Removed all ballast bags from boat

My questions are:
1. Is that good enough?
2. Should I run RV antifreeze through the motor using a fake-a-lake?
3. Is there a drain on the v-drive itself? (separate from the plug on the v-drive cooler)

I did some searching on the internet but wanted to ask these questions just to be sure. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks for the help, just don’t want to be sad come April next year if I do it wrong!

If you removed both impeller hoses you don't need to remove the tranny cooler plug. You do need to remove the v drive hoses to drain the water out of it ( usually easier than the plug). You also have to remove the j Tube hose running from the thermostat housing going to the water pump at the water pump (water will still be in here) Im confused how you removed the heater hoses when you don't have a heater? You can remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil into the cylinders , 2 seconds, then bump the engine over.