PDA

View Full Version : Sticking Ballast Pumps

rdlangston13
10-06-2015, 10:15 AM
Ok so I recently did the wake makers gravity three ballast upgrade with the reversible pumps and I've noticed that after letting the boat sit for a while the pumps seem to get stuck. Like when I turn them on to fill the light on the switch comes on but the pump doesn't spin. If I leave the switch on without the pump spinning it usually will blow a fuse. I can usually get them going by swapping from fill to drain and back over and over again however this last weekend I was never able to get the front pump turning doing this. I ended up having to remove the pump and take the impeller cover off and use a screw driver to unstick the impeller fins from the pump housing. Is this a common issue and are there any remedies?

Sent from my iPhone

gregski
10-06-2015, 11:26 AM
I've never had that issue. It sounds like it happens when the impeller vanes have to flip direction; I think I would do exactly what you describe by first running it the same direction as before for a moment to get the vanes lubricated with water and then reverse direction and hope that after a little bit of use, they loosen up a little bit. The only other solutions would be different impellers (I think the orange are supposed to be the least friction) or polish the inside housing to see if that helps.

mmandley
10-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Never had that issue when I upgraded the LSV to reversible, and never had that issue with my Mojo which already has reversible.

The same with my Mojo I have never had to replace the impellers on the pumps, 3 seasons and they all work perfectly.

smorris7
10-06-2015, 01:06 PM
I have had this happen on more than one occasion. I have always been able to free it up by flipping back and forth a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
10-06-2015, 02:13 PM
I have had this happen on more than one occasion. I have always been able to free it up by flipping back and forth a few times.

must be that chocolate brown TX water

rdlangston13
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM

Yeah it's done this a few ones but this was the worst. The center one would NOT free up. It's not too bad to take the pump off but it does waste like 15 minutes. Maybe I'll try different impellers

Sent from my iPhone

MLA
10-06-2015, 04:32 PM
What color impellers? We've for a long time, recommended that once you are done draining for the last time, flip the switch to fill for a few seconds to allow the impeller to flip. Its now in the proper position for the next trip out. This reduces the load and current draw for your next fill cycle. There can also be varying degree of calcification and other impeller sticking deposits from lake to lake.

moombadaze
10-06-2015, 07:42 PM
ive ran into this once, makes sense to hit the fill for a second when its done draining to flip the impellers over. im going to try and remember to do this from now on

rdlangston13
10-07-2015, 12:26 AM
What color impellers? We've for a long time, recommended that once you are done draining for the last time, flip the switch to fill for a few seconds to allow the impeller to flip. Its now in the proper position for the next trip out. This reduces the load and current draw for your next fill cycle. There can also be varying degree of calcification and other impeller sticking deposits from lake to lake.

The impellers are black

Sent from my iPhone

smorris7
10-07-2015, 07:06 AM
May want to switch to the newer green ones. I bought the replacements and have yet to make the switch but I understand they are a better quality.

MLA
10-07-2015, 09:01 AM
The impellers are black

Sent from my iPhone

I would certainly consider upgrading to either the green or orange.

rdlangston13
10-07-2015, 10:45 AM
I would certainly consider upgrading to either the green or orange.

What would I gain by upgrading the impellers? Quicker fill times or just the elimination of my sticking issue

Sent from my iPhone

MLA
10-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Age for starters. I would speculate that a black impeller would be 3-6 years old, depending which pump brand its in. The orange or green do not dry rot like the old black rubber ones.

Run dry. The newer green and orange impellers do not self destruct when running dry like the old black rubber ones do.

ranger098
10-07-2015, 01:51 PM
+1 having this issue once i had to take the cover off to get the pump going again. guess ill havge to look at new impellers too

or ride every day.....

parrothd
10-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Buy breakers instead, mine would always do this and blow the fuse...Cheaper than buying new impellers.. :)

parrothd
10-07-2015, 04:14 PM
http://www.wiringproducts.com/30-amp-bussmann-atc-circuit-breaker-auto-reset.html

rdlangston13
10-07-2015, 04:53 PM
I bought these from another thread where you recommended them. I just need to bring home the fuse block cover to modify it so these will fit. I keep forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone

parrothd
10-07-2015, 05:02 PM
I bought these from another thread where you recommended them. I just need to bring home the fuse block cover to modify it so these will fit. I keep forgetting.

Sent from my iPhone

Yep, they're big.. :) I use them for everything so I never have to worry about fuses...