PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboat intervention

newty
10-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Welcome everybody.

I'll start... I trashed 3 props in one day... sober.
Let's just say I had a steep learning curve.

newty
10-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Trayson???

beat taco
10-06-2015, 01:04 AM
I found all the obstacles on the upper Willamette with my prop(s)

viking
10-06-2015, 09:21 AM
LOL..........love it. We'll see if he comes clean??

dusty2221
10-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Well......?

patrick232
10-06-2015, 09:36 AM
I've had 3 Moombas in 7 years and can't keep one longer than 3 years.

MJHSupra
10-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Welcome everybody.

I'll start... I trashed 3 props in one day... sober.
Let's just say I had a steep learning curve.

In one day, how does one find time to change all of that and boat between swap-outs?
If the first one came off the boat, where did the other two come from . . . just curious?

M-

rdlangston13
10-06-2015, 10:17 AM
I was cheap and got standard cleats installed on the boat instead of pull out and now the area around one them is spider cracked all to hell

Sent from my iPhone

sivs1
10-06-2015, 10:18 AM
sounds like a personal problem to me....

dusty2221
10-06-2015, 10:25 AM
I backed the boat in a few weeks ago and the rear end didn't float. It was still "boat buckled" to the trailer. Oops.

sandm
10-06-2015, 10:43 AM
I went to walmart to buy my oil/filter for winterization. bought wrong kind. went to autozone and bought 2 different kinds of oil and another filter, knowing one would be right. filter was right.
3rd trip with weight written down yielded the right oil.

newty
10-06-2015, 10:48 AM
In one day, how does one find time to change all of that and boat between swap-outs?
If the first one came off the boat, where did the other two come from . . . just curious?

M-
It was an I/O, so easy to change and relatively cheap. Had a spare in the boat, and had my wife bring one from home on her way later that afternoon.

MJHSupra
10-06-2015, 10:54 AM
It was an I/O, so easy to change and relatively cheap. Had a spare in the boat, and had my wife bring one from home on her way later that afternoon.

I wondered if that was a I/O or inboard . . . . I had the spare prop in my last I/O as well.

trayson
10-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Trayson???

2 years ago on the 5th of July, I backed my Supra into the water without the center plug in. I realized it pretty quick, and put it in, but the bilge was pretty full with water. I figured I'd just press on and let the bilge drain the water out. We went over to government island and met up with some of the 4th of july campers on the island. Picked up a 3rd, and went out to take my first wakeboard run.

My transmission had been leaking and I guess it had enough of a leak that it sucked up the water that was in the bilge and milkshaked the transmission. I had to idle the boat back to the dock and that afternoon we were pulling the transmission to send it off for a rebuild.

So forgetting the plug + a leaking transmission led to about $1k in repairs and about a month without my boat.

On the plus side, while I was boatless I was able to meet Newty--so that makes it all worth it. and he got my wife out on the surfboard that day, so even more positives from my boatless stretch.

newty
10-06-2015, 12:46 PM
2 years ago on the 5th of July, I backed my Supra into the water without the center plug in. I realized it pretty quick, and put it in, but the bilge was pretty full with water. I figured I'd just press on and let the bilge drain the water out. We went over to government island and met up with some of the 4th of july campers on the island. Picked up a 3rd, and went out to take my first wakeboard run.

My transmission had been leaking and I guess it had enough of a leak that it sucked up the water that was in the bilge and milkshaked the transmission. I had to idle the boat back to the dock and that afternoon we were pulling the transmission to send it off for a rebuild.

So forgetting the plug + a leaking transmission led to about $1k in repairs and about a month without my boat.

On the plus side, while I was boatless I was able to meet Newty--so that makes it all worth it. and he got my wife out on the surfboard that day, so even more positives from my boatless stretch.
What else?

Crane man
10-06-2015, 01:44 PM
Laborday weekend 1st time out with guests and wrapped anchor line between prop and shaft strut, no knife on boat. Over an hour over diving and we got free. Next day took out the prop hitting a big floater. Worst part was wife loosing it because props are 6x more than the old I/O.

trayson
10-06-2015, 02:33 PM
What else?

Earlier this year, I was cruising on an evening with Perfect glass and the boat would all of a sudden kick down to exactly 3000 RPM's regardless of what I tried to do. Realized it was oil pressure and I was low on oil. We tied up to a marina dock on Jantzen beach and I went to safeway and found that they didn't have the oil weight I wanted, so I bummed a ride in the back of a pickup truck to west marine, where I bought the oil I needed an a funnel. (and some beer to thank the guys that let us use their slip and key card at the marina)

Bummed a ride back to the marina access from another guy outside of west marine. Got the oil in the engine and it was a LOT happier and we finally got in a couple sets as the sun was going down. Burnt 2 hours of pristine water with my low oil running around.

White94RX
10-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Very first time we put the boat in after buying it, we left the plugs out. That was scary for us newbie boat owners. Luckily no permanent damage was done.

moombadaze
10-06-2015, 07:52 PM
few years back swapped 3 props on my 08 LSV in a matter of 4 hrs if I remember correctly

Have a feeling there is more stories from the pnw to be told

parrothd
10-06-2015, 10:34 PM
We used suck the ski ropes into the intakes on all my old jet boats all the time, happened every summer, no matter what rules or things we did.

When the boat is in neutral but running the pumps are still running so they suck up the rope and tangle inside the impellor pump. Most of the time you need to pull the pump to untangle it..

My last seadoo was a twin engine with twin intakes so 1 roped got sucked into both intakes. It was long paddle back and I sold it.

I hate jet boats..

jelmhorst
10-07-2015, 07:29 AM
I sheared the wakeboard rack tines off the boat pulling out of the driveway on a crepe myrtle branch...last night. That tree doesn't even know what's coming.

dusty2221
10-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Woah!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mmandley
10-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Never an issue with the LSV

On the Mojo, hit the prop on the trailer at Demo days first year owning it. Everyone was watching and it was one of the display boats, all the sudden it's metal grinding noises. I was pissed, I was embarrassed and I was sick all at the same time.

At WTW Foster water level was low, Steve hit a rock just as he was coming on the trailer, then he hit the prop on the trailer.

That's when we upgraded the trailer winch and now she gets pulled up the trailer. No more in gear after the tower passes the guide poles.

trayson
10-07-2015, 10:04 AM
Never an issue with the LSV

On the Mojo, hit the prop on the trailer at Demo days first year owning it. Everyone was watching and it was one of the display boats, all the sudden it's metal grinding noises. I was pissed, I was embarrassed and I was sick all at the same time.

At WTW Foster water level was low, Steve hit a rock just as he was coming on the trailer, then he hit the prop on the trailer.

That's when we upgraded the trailer winch and now she gets pulled up the trailer. No more in gear after the tower passes the guide poles.

I remember you telling that story before. It doesn't seem right that they would design a trailer where the boat could angle on the trailer such that the prop could hit the prop guard. I think someone screwed up when they engineered the combo. That sucks you have to be that careful.

996scott
10-07-2015, 11:06 AM
the very first time I took the family boat out by myself with friends (21yrs old) I forgot to raise the outdrive when pulling it out of the water and drug it half way up the ramp grinding off the bottom of the skeg. Dad was not too happy!

newty
10-07-2015, 01:40 PM
the very first time I took the family boat out by myself with friends (21yrs old) I forgot to raise the outdrive when pulling it out of the water and drug it half way up the ramp grinding off the bottom of the skeg. Dad was not too happy!
Did that a couple times myself. Nothing a file and some black spray paint couldn't fix.

rdlangston13
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
When I first bought our bought I didn't want to fork out the cash for pull out cleats so I had the dealer install standard ones. Now the rear ones are spider cracked all to hell and my guide pole pads are falling apart from being stabbed every time we load and in load.

Sent from my iPhone

mmandley
10-07-2015, 06:11 PM
When I first bought our bought I didn't want to fork out the cash for pull out cleats so I had the dealer install standard ones. Now the rear ones are spider cracked all to hell and my guide pole pads are falling apart from being stabbed every time we load and in load.

Sent from my iPhone

I have had to replace the port Pad every year lol the Mojo is a beast, it's already wide in the nose so you have to be pretty straight but it widens so much from the nose to windshield we always seem to catch the port side. I've tried over and over to get the screw that sticks out just a hair to be level with no luck.

AWS has always been good and hooks me up with replacement guide pole covers.

dusty2221
10-07-2015, 06:54 PM
I have a feeling I may need a hookup on those covers. Lol

Crane man
10-07-2015, 09:18 PM
My mondo has the same problem. So much wider than the guides that the rail screws tear up the guide covers every time. I am looking into a different head of smoother face screw.

newty
10-07-2015, 11:26 PM
I have a feeling I may need a hookup on those covers. Lol

Amazon... I picked up a couple for my new boat for $40.

patrick232
10-08-2015, 11:12 AM
My mondo has the same problem. So much wider than the guides that the rail screws tear up the guide covers every time. I am looking into a different head of smoother face screw.

On our old XLV and LSV we has the cheaper rubber rub rail and had no issue for years with the guides. Now with the Mondo they are ripped to heck from the screws. I have thought out getting a dremmel out and sanding each one. But afraid to as they may only be coated.

New Guy
10-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Been there done that.

uniwarking
10-09-2015, 08:11 AM
Been there done that.

Same thing for me, first season with the Mojo I hit the prop on the trailer. Since then, I use the Fulton F2 2-speed winch... one that is actually properly sized for the boat. It's pretty amazing how close that prop guard sits to the prop on the trailer... if it every hit anything substantial I don't think it would do a lot of good in protecting the prop.

Knock on wood, not a single prop ding in 2 seasons since!

5:00
10-09-2015, 05:17 PM
My brother-in-law loaned his lake house and his then 3 year old Moomba to me, the wife and some friends. Yes he is a hell of a great guy. It was the beginning of the season, the boat was winterized and had not been used yet. You can see where this is going. It was about a 1 mile ride to his boat lift from the ramp. I was taking it slowly as it was the first outing of the year and did idle speed a lot of the way. I got closer to the boat lift and noticed it was sitting lower than normal. Sure enough I left the drain plug out. I was pretty green with boats back then.

I got it going a bit faster, flipped the bilge switch and had the wife lower the lift while I was in a holding pattern. Took on about 5 inches but it didn't reach anything.

While I have Fast Times at Ridgemont High "Make up your mind dude, is he going to shit or is he going to kill us" going through my head I got it on the lift. I guess she wanted full disclosure and told him. Luckily he is one of best people you will ever meet and really didn't care but I felt horrible. The year before that she destroyed a prop and the shaft on a rock. That was our first payment for a boat repair and we didn't even own the boat! Joke was on us because when he got his new Master Craft a few years later we ended up with that Moomba!

89PROSTAR
10-09-2015, 05:32 PM
At the begging of the summer I left the driveway with the basketball hoop wrapped around one of the board racks. I got about 2 houses down before I looked in my mirror...I looked and said "WTF I'm dragging the hoop". It could have been bad. The only think that touched the boat was the rim and net wrapped around the board rack. There was no damage except to the base of the basketball hoop from dragging it down the street. I was lucky, it could have crashed down on the gunnel. I'm normally so careful...

Broke Pilot
10-10-2015, 01:18 AM
About 3 weeks ago when I installed my brand new prop, went for a test ride out to the island on Conroe. Figured we'd stay a while once we got there. The wind whipped up and blew us around the bow anchor dragging the stern anchor with us toward the beach (remember, new prop) I cranked the boat and started to back away before the prop hit dirt and wrApped the stern anchor line all the way up to the chain before I realized my cousin didn't pull the rear anchor up yet. That was a fun day.
Had to load the boat 3/4 on the trailer cus the anchor wouldn't clear the prop guard. I was so pissed off I forgot to take pics, but let's just say there were a few pointing and laughing at my ramp.
I haven't wrapped a rope in 15 years. Guess I was due... Lol

mmandley
10-10-2015, 08:59 AM
I just recalled my LSV incident..

I have always kept my boats in the garage.

With the LSV I would put it in the garage after the weekend to be safe until the next weekend. I would always open the V drive and engine doors to allow venting and drying.

It was the first summer I had the boat and I didn't quite have my mental checklist developed. <see where this is going>

I started to pull the boat out of the garage, not being able to see the boat very well due to the steep angle of my drive way, I had no idea the Engine hatch hit the garage door and was trying to close the garage door. All the sudden I heard a big BANG so I hit the brakes.

I found the garage door off track and almost laying on top of the boat windshield.

It took me holding the door up and Claudia pull the boat out to clear it of the mess.

Damages were very minimal, hole in the engine cover door vynal, bent the engine door back slightly so it had a bow to it. Over time it leveled back out.
I had to pay the garage door company $200 to to fix align and fix the tension spring on the door.
Eventually it cost me 125 to patch the engine door vynal which I didn't actually fix until a week before I sold the boat.

newty
10-10-2015, 10:06 AM
I tried to back my first wake boat into the garage with the tower still up. Glad it was dark and no one saw me. Lol

z28ke
10-12-2015, 08:21 PM
The time my father in law almost killed me, literally. The first summer I was dating my wife (7 year anniversary yesterday) she took me up to her dads lake house on lake gaston, his permanent residence. He knew I could wake board and was looking forward to pulling me behind his 1990 mastercraft tristar, and size me up if you will seeing as this was the first time we met. Keep in mind his boat had been having some issues tripping the main breaker.

We go out the first evening we get up there and after riding for a while I give the signal that I'm done. He pulls back around and leaves the boat idling, not wanting to cut it off all the way across the lake. While I'm getting out my wife forgets that the rope is still in the water, and he puts it back in gear, you guessed it, rope in the prop/shaft.

I volunteer to clear the prop and he passes me a knife, but does not turn the boat off. I'm 24 at the time and don't think much of....I think you know where this is going.

I get back in the water (lifejacket still on) and begin diving under the back to clear the rope, taking big gulps "air" every time I come back up. After maybe 10 times it hit me like a ton of bricks.

I float back to the surface essentially paralyzed, only thing I could do was muster a weak "help". My wife yells "DAD" and he jumps up and runs to the back, grabs me by my lifejacket and drags me into the back seat of the boat, all 6'4' 230 lbs of my lifeless body.

I couldn't talk or move for what seemed like hours but was only 5-10 minutes or so as my body began clearing the carbon monoxide. The only thing I could think about was to keep breathing and don't close my eyes during those few minutes. I knew if I closed my eyes I was done, and it took every ounce of energy I had to do that and remind myself to keep breathing. It was crazy.

Anyway. He cut the boat off, my wife got the rest of the rope out, and we headed back across the lake to his dock. It took several hours to get back to feeling normal after that, talk about the worst headache of your life!

1st time I met who would become my father in law, he had to let me marry her after that! Almost killed me and saved my life.

Wear your lifejackets anytime your doing anything questionable, I would have been at the bottom of the lake without mine.

kaneboats
10-13-2015, 03:05 PM
I started to pull the boat out of the garage, not being able to see the boat very well due to the steep angle of my drive way, I had no idea the Engine hatch hit the garage door and was trying to close the garage door. All the sudden I heard a big BANG so I hit the brakes. I found the garage door off track and almost laying on top of the boat windshield.

Yup, I pretzeled the garage door with an open rear locker door. Didn't actually hurt the locker door too bad but destroyed the bottom two panels of the garage door.

rdlangston13
10-14-2015, 07:22 PM
The second time i had our boat our we got a tube rope caught in the prop and the next day I had a little too much captain and coke and decided it was a good idea to stand on the bow and take a picture with my black berry. the next day i got my first iphone

zabooda
10-14-2015, 08:14 PM
I lost the pulley from the raw water pump and I found it in the bottom of the bilge. It was actually an anticipated failure that started when the water pump was starting to fail while on a vacation. I chose to continue to use the boat and just monitor the water temperatures so I could continue to use the boat. After a few days, I started to notice stress cracking on the pulley so I expected a possible catastrophic failure of the pump could happen besides the pump itself failing. The next day while going to a beach I heard the clunk and I shut down the engine and sure enough the pulley was laying in three pieces in the bilge. I phoned my buddy on the beach a quarter mile away and he towed me to the beach where the boat made a great stereo platform for the day. At the end of the day, I had someone bring the trailer to a nearby launch and I took it back to camp for the rest of the week.

gpd005
10-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Our first 2nd boat was a DD and I was in the garage one day working on it and wanted to get to know the boat motor better. I rather than opening the engine compartment all the way and flipping it up on back seat I tie a rope to the handle and up and over the rafter in my garage. The next day I went to pull it out of the garage and forgot about that rope.........The rafter broke in half before the engine cover pulled out of the floor. I felt, well, not so bright and I was really glad my neighbors weren't watching the whole time.