PDA

View Full Version : battery isolator

Birdman
10-03-2015, 11:52 AM
so i bought a battery isolated from can tire and its a 4 post made for a double battery system the only way i can make it work is connecting the alternator main power wire to the post that the starter battery is on I'm kinda thinking this isolator isn't going to work for the set up moomba runs with there ignition and what not. any one dealt with this before? it tells me to hook my two battery on post one and four separately and then a direct line from alternator to post 2 and an optional ignition circuit on post three just kinda stumped I'm thinking i gotta return it

MLA
10-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Devices like this are not designed to be a plug-n-play install with any existing battery setup, but rather require some degree of custom wiring. What you have can be used, but you will need to design the system, create a wiring diagram and then build it.

And yes, an isolator is made for a double battery system. With just one battery on the boat, whats there to isolate. Does your boat have one or two battery banks? What are you looking to achieve with this or other type of isolator?

Birdman
10-03-2015, 08:05 PM
thanks MLA the boat dealer in town had a pretty cool little thing that worked to had a switch for the house battery a switch for the starting battery and an emergency parallel switch as well as a solenoid that closes the circuit between the cable that comes from the engine to the house battery to charge it was pretty slick but wasn't cheap heres a link to what it looks like without the second engine switch though .http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/marine-electronics-forum/207317d1323285263-bep-marine-battery-cluster-switch-bep-batt-cluster-717-100a.jpg

jmvotto
10-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Single Bep vsr. Will be fine for a 2 battery system.

MLA
10-03-2015, 08:46 PM
What you have in that hulltruth link is for a dual screw/3 bank boat and way more complex then what most trailer boats needs. For an effective passive/manual setup, I would suggest the Blue Sea ACR and Dual Circuit Plus switch. Its basically a single engine version of whats in that link.