PDA

View Full Version : New Tahoe

qb12
06-21-2006, 08:38 AM
I just wanted to give my opinion of the new 07 Tahoe.

I had a 04 Toyota Sequoia 4wd that pulled the boat okay. Not great but you always knew it was back there.

On Saturday, due to rain in the forecast (no lake), I went and test drove a black ltz 4wd with 20inch wheels. Wow has chev stepped up to the plate.

The new Tahoe rides wonderful, and get pretty good gas milage. The engine is designed that when not under load will switch from v8 to 4 cylinder thus improving gas mileage.

Long story short, I ended up trading in the Toyota for the Tahoe and took it to the lake along with the boat on Sunday. Never felt any tug, solid as heck.

Got 13 mpg pulling the boat at avg 70mph.

Doug

canuckskier
06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
What size engine in the tahoe?
I pull my Outback with a 1/2 ton Chev, the 5.3 Litre and find myself wanting just a little more power. I'm thinking of upgrading to a duramax, but if the Tahoe pulls nice maybe i just need a larger gas engine. I assume you have the 6.0 L, but please let me know.

Cheers

btw. Sweet ride, I love the new tahoe!

qb12
06-23-2006, 12:50 PM
canuckskier, it's got the 5.3l 320 hp's...

xlvowner277
04-11-2008, 12:14 PM
what kind of boat do you have i pull an o7 xlv gg with a 07 tahoe....Perfect set up.

tlatoani
04-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Mom has an 07 Tahoe LTZ. I helped her in the shopping a bit, and we both thought the LTZ rode much better than the other models. I think it has Escalade shocks or something-I can't remember.

Anyway, I borrow it to pull the XLV and it does just fine. I also borrowed it to take my wife/kids to Texas over Christmas. It was wonderful on the trip.

rvette
04-11-2008, 05:01 PM
qb12,
Did you notice any of the cylinders cutting back while towing?
Did you use cruise control?

I have an 04 Avalanche that I love and tows the 06 outback w/o a strain but with today's gas prices it may be time to look at something else

Mikey
04-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I am not a mechanic but have a couple of friends who are,one being shop foreman at a dealership.The topic of enginemanagement came up and unfortunetely isn't quite all its cracked up to be.It only really works when the motor us under slight to no load conditions.ie cruiseing down the highway maybe going downhill etc. The second you are on the gas at all all cylinders are activated and henceforth no saving. the topic of pulling came up and both laughed at the thought.Its a nice concept and under the right conditions may save you a little gas but mst of the time ,suck it up/gas that is.In cars might be different but a trucks a truck/take them as you want.My 2cents worth. :lol: :cry:

Sled491
04-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Chevy guys phhh :roll:

yearround
04-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm with Sled on this one!

maxpower220
04-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Going to 4 cyclinders part of the time improves gas mileage. There is no 'extra' cost to the price of the truck. I don't understand why every V-8 doesn't have that feature. With VVT and engine management, there is no reason not to. If you are expecting double gas mileage, then you will be disappointed. If you are expecting the best gas mileage in class, then that is what you get.
Even better yet, why don't we have a diesel V-8 or V-10 with active management in a truck?

Sled491
04-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Hey chevy guys, Dodge has had this for at least 3 yrs! :D

Membrain
04-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I have an ’03 Dodge Cummins that gets 18+ MPG pulling our ’08 LXV! It normally gets 22-24 MPG at 65 MPH!!! (NO HEAD WIND) This is with an automatic trans! Come getcha some Chevy and Toyota! Oh yea, I sometimes forget that there is even a boat back there!!! I like to aggravate people at stoplights when I pull up to them. Everyone wants to get over in the other lane so that they don’t have to be slowed down by a big arse boat and slow arse squid pulling it! They get pissed when I pass them ALL!!! Yea baby!!! :wink:

bamaspiveys
04-12-2008, 09:10 AM
If it doesn't have a bowtie, it is not allowed in my driveway!

We have a Tahoe and Silverado both with the 5.3L and they pull our 07OB just fine.

The Tahoe has a tighter turning radius and rides better even though it has a shorter wheel base. I have had 3 Avalanches and they are still one of the best riding SUVs out there in my opinion.

My wife had a 1ton crew cab with the Duramax before her current truck, and that was a great truck, just did not need that big of a vehicle anymore, and now with diesel at $4.00 a gallon I am glad it is gone!

I haven't been in a dodge in 5 years so I can't comment on the ride or performance, but I have family members that have blue ovals on their grill and I jsut don't enjoy the ride, the seats are not as comfortable and the gas mileage is not as good.

Get a Tahoe or an Avalance, you won't be sorry!

tlatoani
04-12-2008, 08:04 PM
If it doesn't have a bowtie, it is not allowed in my driveway!

We have a Tahoe and Silverado both with the 5.3L and they pull our 07OB just fine.

The Tahoe has a tighter turning radius and rides better even though it has a shorter wheel base. I have had 3 Avalanches and they are still one of the best riding SUVs out there in my opinion.

My wife had a 1ton crew cab with the Duramax before her current truck, and that was a great truck, just did not need that big of a vehicle anymore, and now with diesel at $4.00 a gallon I am glad it is gone!

I haven't been in a dodge in 5 years so I can't comment on the ride or performance, but I have family members that have blue ovals on their grill and I jsut don't enjoy the ride, the seats are not as comfortable and the gas mileage is not as good.

Get a Tahoe or an Avalance, you won't be sorry!

If you were in a Dodge 5 years ago then you have basically been in a current Dodge. (I'm no chevy fanboi-I have a jeep cherokee and a subaru sti)

deerfield
04-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Dodge? Ford? Other? Ummm, let me think. Oh, ya, here's the ultimate package:

Chevy Suburban 7.4L for maximum towing, comfort, and space
Moomba Outback for skiing, boarding, and all around fun

This, as my boys say, is LIVIN' LARGE!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/deerfield2008/DSC_0069.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/deerfield2008/DSC_0060.jpg

tazz3069
04-12-2008, 11:47 PM
I agree with sled. This is my second Dodge. First the Hemi and now the Cummins. I love it. I forget that I am towing something. Here is my baby. 2007 Dodge Megacab Diesel 2500.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/CIMG2575.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x13/tazz3069/CIMG2574.jpg

Sled491
04-13-2008, 01:58 PM
OK so it appears there is some discussion on the ideal tow vehicle. Of course as far as I am concerned only Tazz and Membrain and myself are correct :P

But an the good side, we all agree which is the best tournament tow boat on the market :D

Buttafewcoe
04-13-2008, 05:10 PM
That's right sled....don't matter how you get there, as long as you get there!
B

jgeorge109
04-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I own a 2007 Z-71 Sub and it pulls my 2005 Mobious LS just fine...had an 2001 Tahoe prior to this one. The ONLY difference between the two (in towing that is) is the wheel base, so I had to adjust to backing up.

I find it very difficult to talk about gas mileage when I own a boat that guzzles way more gas than any car I own. :lol:

zegm
04-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Just for the Chevy guys, the Avalanche rides on the Suburban Chasis, they are made in the same plant. The difference between the SUV's and the trucks (Chevy, GMC) is that the trucks have leaf springs and the SUV's have coils in the rear (except 3/4 ton avalanches and burbs). The spring rate is also higher on the trucks to carry a heavier load. Many/most of the other components are the same as parts commonality is a huge push in the autoworld. And if you want a Caddy you are paying a lot for more chrome plated plastic as they are made in the same plants as the rest. Besides the average age of a caddy owner is got to be approaching 60+! I image you would be the ones who want the Supra too?

bamaspiveys
04-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Just for the Chevy guys, the Avalanche rides on the Suburban Chasis, they are made in the same plant. The difference between the SUV's and the trucks (Chevy, GMC) is that the trucks have leaf springs and the SUV's have coils in the rear (except 3/4 ton avalanches and burbs). The spring rate is also higher on the trucks to carry a heavier load. Many/most of the other components are the same as parts commonality is a huge push in the autoworld. And if you want a Caddy you are paying a lot for more chrome plated plastic as they are made in the same plants as the rest. Besides the average age of a caddy owner is got to be approaching 60+! I image you would be the ones who want the Supra too?

Yep, when the Avalanche came out my salesman ( I have had the same guy at the same dealership since 1987) called me and said you gotta come drive this Avalanche. I laughed, that was an ugly vehicle, but he kept on and told me about the suburban chasis. It took him almost 2 years to talk me into one, but once my wife and I drove it we were hooked.

Almost bought another one this time, but I wanted a third seat and the enclosed space. Just hit me, that is over 20 years since I bought my first car.

maxpower220
04-16-2008, 01:36 PM
I think that my Avalanche is one of the ugliest trucks that I have ever owned. However, the inside is so nice, the ride is great, and it's paid for. It is definately my favorite truck that I've had, despite it's appearance. I don't see myself getting rid of it for a long while. Especially anytime I see the price of a new vehicle.

zegm
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
In 2001 we bought a Silverado 1500HD four door, would have left the lot with an Avalanche but couldn't get over the plastic cladding. In 2005 traded in the 1500 for a new Avalanche without the cladding as now they look great!!!! Now the cladding is not even offered anymore as Chevy found out they could sell many more if they just took off that ugly plastic!!!

Buttafewcoe
04-16-2008, 07:08 PM
You Chevy guys wouldn't be so hung up ifn you'd bought a Ford....
http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/33139/2134160310101167634S500x500Q85.jpg
B