PDA

View Full Version : New Lakewakes Bean surf board

2500HD
09-29-2015, 08:44 PM
So i got out for another session and got to try surf style. First i have to say that this board for me really does it all. in skim it is loose but not twitchy, able to spin on a dime. In surf it is locked in and very fast, it takes more legs than feet to turn it but it turns on a dime and you can do big...what i call powder turns(i live in snow country).
The build quality of this board is beyond excellent. I looked it over from nose to tail and could not for the life of me figure out how mark got it so perfect. The agenda traction pads are phenomenal and there is a definite sweet spot for your foot placement.
The best part is it cost less than a phase5 or inland surfer. If your thinking of a new board i couldn't recommend this anymore.
This is a short video of surf style. It's a little long only because i got to excited in the beginning and completely subbed the nose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5YIP-VIWw

2500HD
09-29-2015, 09:25 PM
This one is a little footage of the skim style setup. I gotta say i love it. It's loose but not twitchy, and able to spin on a dime. I really didn't think a hybrid would be able to do it all but for me it does. I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CbGh4K9kW8

icemanftr
02-13-2016, 03:26 AM
Got any pics of your board? Curious about these boards, as I'm about to pull the trigger on a P5 or IS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
02-13-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm about to pull the trigger on a P5 or IS

You'll be better served going the direction above, lMO.

2500HD
02-13-2016, 09:49 AM

You would be better served with a custom board not a cookie cutter any day of the week. IMO.

2500HD
02-13-2016, 10:49 AM
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12715641_10206043098740665_6746893961651169928_n.j pg?oh=cb406ea5187ced9aa0233153e8cf5d5f&oe=576AF967

wolfeman131
02-13-2016, 11:41 PM
You would be better served with a custom board not a cookie cutter any day of the week. IMO.

I'd guess that Keenan Flegel and Drew Danielo, both winners of multiple World Championships, may disagree.

What's "custom" about a LakeWakes? Being able to choose the color of the board & traction pad?

2500HD
02-13-2016, 11:48 PM
I'd guess that Keenan Flegel and Drew Danielo, both winners of multiple World Championships, may disagree.

What's "custom" about a LakeWakes? Being able to choose the color of the board & traction pad?

I don't know who either of those people are and i could care less who they are. So they are payed to play who cares. I love my board and it cost less than a p5 or an is. I would rather give my money to someone who is trying to make quality vs a company who mass produces items.

2500HD
02-13-2016, 11:52 PM
Point blank, this is a good board. have you rode one?

icemanftr
02-14-2016, 03:17 AM
https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12715641_10206043098740665_6746893961651169928_n.j pg?oh=cb406ea5187ced9aa0233153e8cf5d5f&oe=576AF967

Nice looking board! Yeah I saw your post when I was doing a little research. Drives me nuts when charge upwards to a grand for their top models. I am looking for a good fast board that I can pop, slash and spin and will fit my big ass (6'4 225). Probably be easier to just call as their website don't offer to much detail.

icemanftr
02-14-2016, 08:47 PM
I emailed him and he quoted me $525. That's a risk for me as I have ridden IS and P5 so I know how amazing they can ride. How do you like the hybrid ness of your Bean? Watched the videos on how strong his are if dropped compared to competition. Quite impressive with that "tek" feature.

jtatexc
02-14-2016, 08:53 PM
I get the cookie cutter mentality and trying to support small business and hand crafted stuff, but I tell you what, my P5 Danielo Diamond is the best board I have ever ridden. I also have a hyperlite hi-fi that I feel also rides great but will admit that the build quality is an issue as I had to have it warrentied because the bottom came delaminated. We also have a Ronix Thruster illuminati, and slingshot t-rex (haven't ridden this one yet but got as a more friendly board for our less experienced riders). The P5 gets all my love...period. Generally reputations exist for a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

trayson
02-14-2016, 09:09 PM

didn't your daughters get their start competing on Lakewakes boards made by Mark before they went over and signed with Soulcraft?

is there a backstory to why you would poo poo the lakewakes?

Curious...

viking
02-14-2016, 11:17 PM
didn't your daughters get their start competing on Lakewakes boards made by Mark before they went over and signed with Soulcraft?

Curious...

Good question and interested in the answer to this question.
I bought a LakeWakes Flying Saucer mid last year and although I haven't used it alot it is a quality board and look forward to more time on it this summer.

wolfeman131
02-15-2016, 12:52 PM
Point blank, this is a good board. have you rode one?

Yes. I've owned more LakeWakes than the number of power turns I counted in your videos.

Curious...

Indeed, they did start their competitive careers on LakeWakes and the few pics you'll find with LakeWakes on the podium will, most likely, include my daughters. I don't believe that I "poo poo'd" the LakeWakes boards. My statement to iceman was, "You'll be better served going the direction above, lMO" in reference to his statement that he was considering Inland Surfer and Phase 5.

trayson
02-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Yes. I've owned more LakeWakes than the number of power turns I counted in your videos.

Indeed, they did start their competitive careers on LakeWakes and the few pics you'll find with LakeWakes on the podium will, most likely, include my daughters. I don't believe that I "poo poo'd" the LakeWakes boards. My statement to iceman was, "You'll be better served going the direction above, lMO" in reference to his statement that he was considering Inland Surfer and Phase 5.

Fair enough. I think myself and a few others read a lot more into your comments than a simple don't choose A over B/C. But that's the nature of the interwebs and my motivation for seeking clarification.

What is your honest opinion of the Lakewakes boards (since we know your family has rode a ton). And do you have a bias for/against them because of some past history?

I know you probably don't care much about my opinion, but for the sake of others, I've ridden 3 different Lakewakes boards. Are they the best boards out there? For the surf style, No they weren't my absolute favorite. I did like their skim best out of the small handful of skim boards I've ridden (this is coming from someone that doesn't prefer skim style). The two surf style boards I rode were fun, and certainly a good value for the money. And I think that's where people are gravitating towards Lakewakes-- "for the money". And I'm just a rider that's very comfortable getting out and slashing on a board--but I'm not throwing any spins or airs, so take that as a disclosure I guess. LOL.

To the OP, the last time I rode an IS was ages ago and I was a total newb then. The only P5 I've ridden is my 10 year old son's Scamp. LOL. SO I can't give an opinion on LW vs either of those.

wolfeman131
02-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Fair enough. I think myself and a few others read a lot more into your comments than a simple don't choose A over B/C. But that's the nature of the interwebs and my motivation for seeking clarification.

What is your honest opinion of the Lakewakes boards (since we know your family has rode a ton). And do you have a bias for/against them because of some past history?

If you're hoping for some sort of internet drama to help you through your workday, you won't get it here. Go over to WakeWorld.

All I've offered is my thoughts, which inherently provides my opinion, on what iceman should spend his hard earned $$ on.

trayson
02-15-2016, 02:29 PM
If you're hoping for some sort of internet drama to help you through your workday, you won't get it here. Go over to WakeWorld.

All I've offered is my thoughts, which inherently provides my opinion, on what iceman should spend his hard earned $$ on.

No workday here man. It's president's day and that's a paid holiday for me. :-)

I was just looking to see if there was any bias or anything behind your opinions. Knowing where people are coming from makes for more informed decisions all around. And isn't that what this community is here for in the first place? Increased knowledge through sharing?

I really wasn't fishing for drama--just asking if there was a relevant backstory that influenced your statements, because you didn't really give us the 'why' behind your recommendation when users asked for it...

Thanks for the response. Take care.

2500HD
02-15-2016, 09:31 PM

No drama here and i am very proud of how many boards you've owned. Good on ya. Now i gotta get back to building this car. Peace