PDA

View Full Version : What went "Boom" on my boat? Ideas?

5:00
09-28-2015, 02:29 PM
I was out on Saturday doing my civic duty volunteering to pull Boy Scouts around on tubes for the day. You would think this nice donation of time, fuel and a boat would bring some good Karma, nope!

I was going to trailer my boat and was doing a turn from the dock to the trailer obviously not going fast maybe 10 MPH. I had what I thought was a MAJOR prop strike. I figured new prop or a repair. As I went the remaining 30 feet there was vibration at mid RPM rather than lower which didn't match previous prop strikes. I Got the boat on the trailer and the prop was in what looked like perfect condition, damn.

I heard a little whining while pulling the tubes right at the end that I had not heard before. I don't have anything to add because I didn't cruise any further than just putting it on the trailer. It seemed to have the normal power but there was a vibration at mid range just when putting it on the trailer. It started raining so I didn't check fluid levels but they were good before this and didn't look in the hull. I won't see the boat for another three weekends so this is all I have.

Thinking V-drive or trans, alignment not sure what else it would be. I had just checked the coupling bolts about three weeks ago and they were good at the time but didn't check after this happened. Not much to go on I know.

newty
09-28-2015, 03:05 PM
You probably just tweeked the prop a little. I've done the same thing. You can't see anything obvious but a little goes a long ways. And yes you won't feel it at idle, but at higher rpms.

mjr119
09-28-2015, 04:32 PM
That sucks to hear. Keep us posted.

MJHSupra
09-28-2015, 07:54 PM
I would tend to think a vibration would be a prop issue. I would pull the prop to look at it off the boat at a different angle and in better light from under the boat.

A few weeks ago a buddy on the Supra forum started to hear a 'whine' on his 2006 24' from the front of the motor. Ran it back to the dock.

Next outing he was dead in the water w/transmission issue. Going to probably pull the v-drive and tranny to diagnosis what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk