PDA

View Full Version : Question on steering flex cable / hard linkage / bracket

Kennyk69
09-24-2015, 09:13 AM
I found that the bracket that holds the steering hard line that terminates to the rudder is loose to the mount. What I mean is the actual clamping section (in the red circle) is not tight to the bolt and spacer used to stand off of the aluminum tab/mounting area, but the bolt and spacer are tight to their aluminum bracket. The area in the red circle is tight to the steering hardline. I've tried tightening the bolt while capturing the stand off (noted in red arrows), but I either loosen it further or end up in the same situation I have now.

Is this supposed to have some play (?) - I find that hard to believe and if not, any thoughts on how to tighten it up? It's a real PIA to get to so I didn't want to disassemble the 4 bolts that hold the hardline to examine how the bolt is captured inside. Thoughts - advise?

moombadaze
09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
do not tighten that, there needs to be some play so when the rudder turns and that tube moves it can move freely. to see what I mean have someone else turn the wheel and watch how it moves

kaneboats
09-25-2015, 12:24 AM
There may be some help here but not a 100% fix. Good luck!

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?18129-Loose-steering&highlight=steering+play