PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speakers don't work for first 10 minutes

costanza
09-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Hi there, I've had the exact same problem on both my boats 13 OBV, and now 13 LSV. Whenever I start the stereo it takes about 10-15 minutes before the tower speakers start to work. When they finally first start working, they come on and off for about a minute, then when they come on, they are on and work great. Both my boats have the exact same issue, and it's been since day 1 on both boats (bought new). I've had a lot of issues with the Sony stereo that came with both boats, so figured it was related? Any ideas what I can check to get tower speakers working as soon as I turn on stereo. My other speakers in the boat work great with no issues, just the tower speakers on both boats took a while to properly kick in... Any ideas of what to check? All is factory installs, I haven't upgraded anything for stereo or speakers...

sivs1
09-23-2015, 09:07 AM
So many assumptions. My guess is your in cabin speakers are wired directly to the head unit and the tower speakers are going through an Amp.

With that assumption have to ask if the Amp is wired correctly, does it have the correct gauge of wire? are there loose connections between the head unit and amp? Are there loose connections between the amp and the battery?

Could just be you are attracted to Gremlins and no matter what you do they will be with you.

costanza
09-23-2015, 12:55 PM
So many assumptions. My guess is your in cabin speakers are wired directly to the head unit and the tower speakers are going through an Amp.

With that assumption have to ask if the Amp is wired correctly, does it have the correct gauge of wire? are there loose connections between the head unit and amp? Are there loose connections between the amp and the battery?

Could just be you are attracted to Gremlins and no matter what you do they will be with you.

I believe you are correct with your assumptions. I checked out the cabling and unhooked and put back on again, but same outcome. Just weird that the exact same thing was happening on both boats (same amp, speakers and radio in both). I'll get dealer to check it out when I bring in next week for the winter. I keep forgetting to mention it to them when I bring it in at end of season. It's a 3+ hour haul to dealer, so I always forget by the time I get there... It's written down this time... :D

patrick232
09-24-2015, 06:31 AM
Wonder if the amp for tower speakers goes into protect mode when first turned on. From a loose ground, then when everything warms up the ground tightens up. I would check every ground amps, head unit, remotes.

MLA
09-24-2015, 09:50 AM
I would first start with looking at the amp to see if has any lights illuminated. Then determine if its the normal light or the protect light. if no lights or a protect light, next would be to check for B+ and B- on the two power cables and turn-on. If the amp's normal light is on check to see what the turn-on sense is set to.

kaneboats
09-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Throw salt over your left shoulder. Apologize for any criticisms of short people, dwarfs, gremlins, leprechauns, etc. Can't be too careful. ;)

costanza
09-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Throw salt over your left shoulder. Apologize for any criticisms of short people, dwarfs, gremlins, leprechauns, etc. Can't be too careful. ;)

LOL!! I couldn't find anything, but mentioned it to dealer when I sadly dropped off the boat this weekend. Another season is over in the great white north... Sad weekend... Somebody pass me a tissue... ;)

pridekit
09-29-2015, 09:13 PM
Ah, I was going to say, check the voltage of the remote wire at the head unit and the amp. Could be that the head unit isn't sending power to the remote turn on or a short in the wire. If no power at the head unit, I'd check settings for a weird delayed amp start or maybe make sure it knows there is an amp connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk