PDA

View Full Version : Flowscan on Moomba

Wolf-
06-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Was wondering if anyone else had installed Floscan equipment on their ski boats.
My grandfather had some on his fishing cruiser.

On my 06 Outback, I run anywhere from 2.1 gph (skiing/kneeboarding) to 6.8 gph (tubing). With the shallow tanks, the guage is about worthless. At E I have another 10-13 gallons in her.

So with all that in mind, I'm considering the Series 5500 (http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/seriesdetail.php?sid=11&catid=2). Runs around $360 but depending on the fuel pump, may need the dampner.
Then I have to deal with a mounting location as well.

Wolf-
06-30-2006, 03:43 PM
*bump*

Waiting to hear back from Indmar.
Anyway, continuing to research.

Looked at the LowranceNet solutions. Just for the fuel flow meter will come in at same price and have the option to add level/temp sensors in the future.

gotmyboat
06-30-2006, 04:03 PM
I am ordering the lowrance LMF-200. It has a fuel flow meter that attaches to your fuel line. You calibrate it with the tank size and then fine tune it when you fill it up. It gives your fuel usage rate and calculates your tank level. I think it's calculation should be way more accurate than my gas guage. It shows empty when I still have half a tank. The level sensor for the LMF-200 attached to your existing float, so it would be useless.

Let us know how things workout.

Dave

Wolf-
06-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by gotmyboat
I am ordering the lowrance LMF-200. It has a fuel flow meter that attaches to your fuel line. You calibrate it with the tank size and then fine tune it when you fill it up. It gives your fuel usage rate and calculates your tank level. I think it's calculation should be way more accurate than my gas guage. It shows empty when I still have half a tank. The level sensor for the LMF-200 attached to your existing float, so it would be useless.

Dave

Glad I'm not the only one.
Yeah, saw that the fuel level sensor would be about worthless on the tank.
Oil Level, Fuel Flow, Temp sensors and the option to add GPS in the future is whats appealing to me over the FloScan. I didnt' see a shoot through hull transducer though. If go this route, would like to replace the one I just put on. Wife will love that decision.

Also, not NMEA 2000 pc interface solutions though? I see 0189 conversion interfaces.;)

SkiKY
07-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Careful when you are researching the fuel flow meters. It's hard to find hard facts on the Indmar systems so I may not be 100% accurate, but I understand that the fuel injection systems pulls extra fuel and returns it back to the fuel tank to cool the injectors. If the meters don’t measure and net-out the fuel returned to the tank, the meter may not be of much more utility than the stock one (hence the note on the 5500 about requiring a close fuel system). They do make the sensors with return line monitors but the price generally doubles.

Wolf-
07-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by SkiKY
Careful when you are researching the fuel flow meters. It's hard to find hard facts on the Indmar systems so I may not be 100% accurate, but I understand that the fuel injection systems pulls extra fuel and returns it back to the fuel tank to cool the injectors. If the meters don’t measure and net-out the fuel returned to the tank, the meter may not be of much more utility than the stock one (hence the note on the 5500 about requiring a close fuel system). They do make the sensors with return line monitors but the price generally doubles.

Good point and thanks for pointing it out. I'm on the carbed 310, so won't have that particular problem, but MAY run into issues on the fuel pump being able to pull fuel up the line and through the meter (saw that in a tech doc someplace)

Wolf-
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM

Dave

Dave,

Did you get the LMF-200 installed?
If so, what other sensors did you pick up?
How is it working for you?

Wolf-
01-17-2007, 05:55 PM
*bump*
Waiting to hear back from Indmar.

I should have answered this earlier.
Larry replied about a week later and it was picked up in our spam traps here.
-----------------------------------

We have never installed such a system but since our 2006 models do not return fuel from the fuel rails, it could be installed in the line between the fuel pump and fuel rails and give accurate readings.

Larry Engelbert
Indmar Service

gotmyboat
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Wolf -

I didn't order the fuel flow meter after I read about the possible issues with the EFI. I have a 2005 with the 325EFI.

Larry -

Do the '05s return fuel from the rails? If not then this is definitely on my list for spring.

Dave

Wolf-
01-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Wolf -

I didn't order the fuel flow meter after I read about the possible issues with the EFI. I have a 2005 with the 325EFI.

Larry -

Do the '05s return fuel from the rails? If not then this is definitely on my list for spring.

Dave

I'm going to go with the Lowrance unit. Found the Gauge and sensor for $109 online. Need to pick up some various components for the base network backbone.

SkiKY
01-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I just finished installing the lmf-200. Installation couldn't have been easier. However, I won't know well the unit works until spring. It would be really nice to find an interface that would convert the Indmar engine info (AMDL format?) and/or the perfect pass speed info into the NMEA 2000 format to feed the display.

Wolf-
01-19-2007, 02:55 PM
I just finished installing the lmf-200. Installation couldn't have been easier. However, I won't know well the unit works until spring. It would be really nice to find an interface that would convert the Indmar engine info (AMDL format?) and/or the perfect pass speed info into the NMEA 2000 format to feed the display.

So much information, just different networks/format. Hate it.

Where did you mount the gauge?
Was thinking of dropping the fuel gauge out (since its worthless anyway) and hanging it below the dash as a fall back.

SkiKY
01-19-2007, 05:17 PM
The different info formats is a bummer, if there was a way to get the engine to speak NMEA 2000 the fuel flow could be read straight from the engine.

I dropped the fuel gauge out, put the wake plate gauge in place of the fuel gauge and put the lmf in place of the wake plate gauge. That way, the dash is still filled with matching OEM gauges and the lmf is off to the side by itself.

The power to the depth gauge was originally piggy-backed off the posts of the fuel gauge so I just moved the depth gauge power wires to the next closest gauge with available power posts. I also used that ignition power post to supply the power to the NMEA 2000 network backbone. Keep in mind, since you will be supplying power to the network backbone you should not hook up the power supply to the lmf gauge itself.

rbc_racing
01-20-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm going to go with the Lowrance unit. Found the Gauge and sensor for $109 online. Need to pick up some various components for the base network backbone.

Where did you find the setup online?

Wolf-
01-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Found the Gauge and sensor for $109 online. Need to pick up some various components for the base network backbone.

Where did you find the setup online?

$119 today. They seem to fluctuate a lot :(
http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info.php/products_id/29569

Cabalas is $89 + $34 = $123
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0038200&type=pod&cmCat=lowrancenet
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0038202&type=pod&cmCat=lowrancenet

You still need to build a backbone system.
Most of the EP sensors come with a T Connector in the box.
But you will need a terminator and a power term cable for the other end and whatever length cable you need to reach down into the engine compartment.

I'm interested in seeing SkiKY's part list and his costs.

SkiKY
01-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I received the lmf-200 that comes with the ep-10 as a gift so I'm not sure what was paid. I think it was bought from www.sailnet.com The information on what comes in the box is non-existant so I was very surprised to find ALL of the necessary electronics were included- two tees, 25' backbone, terminal resistor and the backbone power supply.

The only things I had to pick up were a short length of 3/8" fuel line and a pair of barbed adapters to convert the 1/2" Moomba fuel line to the 3/8" ep-10 size and back again to 1/2". www.plumbingsupply.com sells the barbed fittings as a one piece adapter for about $4 each.

Wolf-
01-21-2007, 11:17 PM
I received the lmf-200 that comes with the ep-10 as a gift so I'm not sure what was paid. I think it was bought from www.sailnet.com The information on what comes in the box is non-existant so I was very surprised to find ALL of the necessary electronics were included- two tees, 25' backbone, terminal resistor and the backbone power supply.

The only things I had to pick up were a short length of 3/8" fuel line and a pair of barbed adapters to convert the 1/2" Moomba fuel line to the 3/8" ep-10 size and back again to 1/2". www.plumbingsupply.com sells the barbed fittings as a one piece adapter for about $4 each.

Glad to hear that the backbone is in the box.
Makes it an even better deal.
Was having a terrible time find the terminators and power terms packaged individually. Ordered the set from sailenet.com. Should be able to have it in before spring break.

Also thanks for the adapter link. Will save some time.

Wolf-
01-26-2007, 03:23 PM

Also thanks for the adapter link. Will save some time.

Adapters came today.
Hope to see the gauge later this week.

I have to put up the steel 'boat' port before I can delve into installing it all.
Will take photos and doc the install process when I do.

SkiKY
02-01-2007, 08:57 PM
If you want to piggy-back the power off one of the existing guage posts be sure to have a few crimp on ring terminals handy.

mvd
04-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Anyone experience with an fuelflow meter on an MPI engine? Because there isn't a fuel retour line it must be possible. But what sensor can handle the 60 psi pressure, that is the million $$ question.