PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts please.

smorris7
09-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Need your opinions on value depreciation. I am trying to make a decision on when to trade my 12 Mojo. I currently have right at 500hrs on it and generally average around 150 hrs per season. In my opinion the 500hr mark is generally a good place to make the trade and still maintain value. How much more value will I lose after another season or even 2? My boat is basically pristine and would still be so in another 2 years. However, how much value does a pristine looking boat with with 800 hours have? Trade value is currently mid 40's. At this point I'm just afraid the depreciation would outpace any further equity gained at least for the next few years.

mjr119
09-16-2015, 03:09 PM
FWIW my buddy just sold his '04 SANTE with 1000 hours for $30K. It was so clean you could eat out of the bilge. Never left in the water. Every maintenance record kept in a folder from the beginning.

I thought this was pretty impressive. Considering the number of hours and age of the boat. Plus he just sold it last week so end of the season.

The used boat market is weird. I think the average person is scared off by high hour boats. But someone with knowledge and experience will be able to tell if a boat was taken care of or not.

I kept telling my buddy to get someone down to the lake and give them a ride in the boat, that will sell it more than anything.

Ironcross25
09-16-2015, 03:22 PM
I'm not afraid of hours. you can tell a boat that's been taken care of verses a boat that's been cleaned rigorously to try and look nice for a sale. Not sure what used values are going to do from here. Seems the market is higher with the rising costs of new boats. I just sold my 05 outback for more than I paid for it 3 years ago. Imo I don't think you'll lose much value over the next few years.

BamaMojo
09-16-2015, 03:51 PM
45 is a fair trade price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zabooda
09-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Hours is not as much as an influence as the boat condition overall. The used boat market is more of an influence and that is based on supply and demand which is influenced by the local economy. You also have to look at the inflation of boats each year. I also see a technology boom on the surf boats each year so there may be a better product in the upcoming years.

Personally, I buy when I find something that meets my needs as the price will continue to increase each year especially these boats if you wait.