PDA

View Full Version : How to spot a D-Bag

wolfeman131
09-08-2015, 11:02 AM
We tried to enjoy the Labor Day Holiday on the water, but found it difficult due to all the D-bags on the lake. I found it apparent that lake d-bags can be easy to spot. Just look for one, or more, of these and you'll know there is a d-bag on the lake that you will want to avoid:

- the guy that makes a massive power turn to pick up the fallen kneeboarder
- the guy that has dock bumpers bouncing off his hull as he motors aimlessly across the lake
- the guy that's flying a flag other than the US flag, State Flag or military service branch that they served in. There is a higher level of d-bagness for the guy flying a pirate flag, Confederate flag or FL Gator flag.
- the guy that needs to stand up while driving his Tahoe IO as fast as possible
- the guy that has a wakeboard tower on his outboard motor boat
- the guy on his jetski that is wearing the orange life vest and/or a nylon one from Bass Pro that is at least 5 yrs old and 2 sizes too small for his beer belly

sivs1
09-08-2015, 11:12 AM
labor day, memorial day, 4th of july. they all seem to bring out the best in people....

jmvotto
09-08-2015, 11:20 AM
that was good and true

moombadaze
09-08-2015, 11:50 AM
And that is why I don't venture out on the d-bag weekends--luckily there are only 3 a year

trayson
09-08-2015, 11:50 AM
The Guy in the Malibu Wakesetter that tried to thread the needle between a houseboat motoring at 7-8 mph and me towing my wife surfing at 10mph, with only about 30 feet between us and the houseboat.

He got a big middle finger and a big F/U from me... I'm of course protective of my surfers, but even MORE protective when that surfer's my wife. And where were they trying to go in such a hurry???? The floating restrooms.

Jason05216
09-08-2015, 12:06 PM
You forgot the guy pulling a tube in circles right in the middle of the cove

mikenehrkorn
09-08-2015, 12:06 PM
All of those ring true even on our smallish lake in MI, just substitute the Gator flag for a UofM or MSU flag!! :)

Before the alums of those schools bash me, those are great schools it just seems that the alums that need a flag the size of their boat seem to always be in the d-bag category!! ;)

spyder
09-08-2015, 12:45 PM
i don't take my bumpers off.. it's just too much work when you're back at your dock so often.

13mobiusLSV
09-08-2015, 12:54 PM
You forgot the guy that rev's his engine and/or keeps playing lonely island "I'm on a boat" just in case we didn't already know.

We gave up and anchored all day and just people watched. It was almost as good as airport people watching

patrick232
09-08-2015, 01:26 PM
The Guy in the Malibu Wakesetter that tried to thread the needle between a houseboat motoring at 7-8 mph and me towing my wife surfing at 10mph, with only about 30 feet between us and the houseboat.

He got a big middle finger and a big F/U from me... I'm of course protective of my surfers, but even MORE protective when that surfer's my wife. And where were they trying to go in such a hurry???? The floating restrooms.

I had a TWRA Officer go between me and the shore while towing a child on a board. Thought he was heading to pull me over as my I only had a 13 year old spotting.

You can see the shore, my winshield and the wake from is boat, I was about 300 ft or less from the shore at this point.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NaKlu1shPVH23ZGaOj-qsZu4ebk0EfyOzxX0OzVzDu0NQ24tgHUvKcMmmgcc1zW_q7xNC efHO5WdBgLtQA_EnAgduL_ShdKOZ0B-l5jGcBegM6jCtU3XLLMdqsk3lCBw-8NBO-D9tQAHGWaJNLY-yPw-5Sr1h1kCNbP1fDi1v22FravdlJ3WfocKSYvBirAdffpIp4P4ll DZpfbND_r_KG7KiOxch_qU73mV0sukQZzNNezKhBOscYoDCRXA ZH0q15SIqL5Gkb4PSF57otKR9sSFvUlIvzMpHiQtTgFTF77vv7 ArAV0eryBzv9aZqQ2MgpAmS1aUWl56yvJalhg_iCypMiO049su QCXmp3cNrFlPZx7rkWj4N79cZUzU755i3SwNistD5b1GHhWrbZ hhZTaQdoWnzg8guaqAdcZyXgeBXWkxZeStOAmcMzJgi4uBVMe2 rVsc7INVIqr1tZFq0yAjAtTk5dQnJKLHyokeKJLUiI5PmCWI2a 2yYHBx5_bYKKMZ74WU6DAkKs_vu__TrIU=w1235-h695-no

patrick232
09-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Drew,

Being a holiday weekend I did power turn once as there was a small bass boat following too close and my surfer fell. I know it was wrong, but when they hit my surf roller I was like that was awesome. Got more attention then wife yelling at them.

If I bought your supra I would fly the block O flag during football season, Not that would draw too much attention on Norris lake.

mikenehrkorn
09-08-2015, 01:31 PM
I had a TWRA Officer go between me and the shore while towing a child on a board. Thought he was heading to pull me over as my I only had a 13 year old spotting.

You can see the shore, my winshield and the wake from is boat, I was about 300 ft or less from the shore at this point.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NaKlu1shPVH23ZGaOj-qsZu4ebk0EfyOzxX0OzVzDu0NQ24tgHUvKcMmmgcc1zW_q7xNC efHO5WdBgLtQA_EnAgduL_ShdKOZ0B-l5jGcBegM6jCtU3XLLMdqsk3lCBw-8NBO-D9tQAHGWaJNLY-yPw-5Sr1h1kCNbP1fDi1v22FravdlJ3WfocKSYvBirAdffpIp4P4ll DZpfbND_r_KG7KiOxch_qU73mV0sukQZzNNezKhBOscYoDCRXA ZH0q15SIqL5Gkb4PSF57otKR9sSFvUlIvzMpHiQtTgFTF77vv7 ArAV0eryBzv9aZqQ2MgpAmS1aUWl56yvJalhg_iCypMiO049su QCXmp3cNrFlPZx7rkWj4N79cZUzU755i3SwNistD5b1GHhWrbZ hhZTaQdoWnzg8guaqAdcZyXgeBXWkxZeStOAmcMzJgi4uBVMe2 rVsc7INVIqr1tZFq0yAjAtTk5dQnJKLHyokeKJLUiI5PmCWI2a 2yYHBx5_bYKKMZ74WU6DAkKs_vu__TrIU=w1235-h695-no

Do as I say, not as I do ;)

wolfeman131
09-08-2015, 01:46 PM
If I bought your supra I would fly the block O flag during football season,

Obviously, this wouldn't be considered d-bag material!

Powerturns for the safety of a rider are completely acceptable. I should have clarified the d-bag comment with some context. Double kneeboarders, doing nothing more than being pulled in a straight line behind the boat that screeched and screamed like their legs had been amputated when they caught an edge, flipped the board and couldn't figure out how to free themselves from the board.

wolfeman131
09-08-2015, 01:51 PM
i don't take my bumpers off.. it's just too much work when you're back at your dock so often.

tie them to the dock, not your boat and avoid the ridicule . . . .

I leave Brian's big, black balls baking in the sun and bungied to the dock all day and tie up to the side vs emptying and putting the boat in the lift between sets.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/20150525_145045.jpg (http://s530.photobucket.com/user/wolfeman131/media/20150525_145045.jpg.html)

5:00
09-08-2015, 01:55 PM
The teenager on the Sea-Doo with the backward hat doing about 50 MPH through a narrow cove both directions where people are anchored and adults and kids swimming in the water.
That is the most yelling and middle fingers I have seen on the lake so far.

trayson
09-08-2015, 02:46 PM

I leave Brian's big, black balls baking in the sun and bungied to the dock all day and tie up to the side vs emptying and putting the boat in the lift between sets.

I agree with this 100%. we had the slip for 5 days this weekend and even though it had pretty amazing padding for a slip, I still put 2 buoy balls on both sides and had dock lines running at a forward and backward angle from each of the front cleats. Overkill? Maybe, but it kept my boat centered and didn't allow the bow to hit the tip of the slip (even if it was padded).

Exile Buoy balls are the best.

spyder
09-08-2015, 02:49 PM

I would, but we use two docks... one for storage over night and when it's rough.. and one out front of our place on the lake when it's calm or if we're just stopping in... i guess i could buy more bouy's ;)

trayson
09-08-2015, 02:52 PM
I would, but we use two docks... one for storage over night and when it's rough.. and one out front of our place on the lake when it's calm or if we're just stopping in... i guess i could buy more bouy's ;)

Exile buoy balls are $20 each full price. I have six of them.

I'd give you my big blue non-exile traditional fenders if you were close to me and one of my riding buddies!

moombadaze
09-08-2015, 02:57 PM
if your lake is rough where you dock, buy some bigger hippy hops--Kaneboats has 2 and there about twice the size of the Exile's and hold the boat further away--I was amazed at how good a job they did as we had some pretty rough boat waves rockin his boat pretty hard at the dock

spyder
09-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Exile buoy balls are $20 each full price. I have six of them.

I'd give you my big blue non-exile traditional fenders if you were close to me and one of my riding buddies!

MURICAN PRICE WITH MURICAN SHIPPING COSTS.. lol

Up here in Can-a-duh.. they'd cost double... easily.. PLUS shipping... ;)

lol

http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10086|10700|10217&product=32472277&code=040011316400

18", Circumference 57", #61149 - Buoyancy 112 lb. Hole 1-1/2" $77.99 (I assume this is a better quality product, but way out of price range to want to buy it)

jstenger
09-08-2015, 03:03 PM
The woman with 5 other people in the boat pulling tubers who decided to turn right in front of my wife because she was looking back instead of facing forward. She got double middle fingers and a big WTF as I fell off my surf board.

mmandley
09-08-2015, 03:03 PM
We were pretty lucky this weekend with our bad weather locally. Saturday we stayed off the water due to rain.

Sunday weather was dry but didn't go out until 2 waiting for sun, no one was on the water, not even the wind. Was awesome, glass all afternoon.

Monday was sunny right away, lake wasn't real busy but that Ass-D-Bag with the Yellow I/O with a wake tower and only 1 person who decides he actually wants to jump my surf rollers while I'm towing my best Bro GF, not cool. I'm looking forward as I'm headed towards a couple boats 1/4 mile up and I'm deciding my line I want to take when my entire crew starts jumping up and down yelling hands waving and fingers flying.

I look up in my rear view and all I see is this boat broadside to my surfer. WTF if she fell it would have been hard for her to not get hit.

He circled the lake 1x and left the lake luckily. Other then that it turned out a pretty good weekend.

trayson
09-08-2015, 03:07 PM
MURICAN PRICE WITH MURICAN SHIPPING COSTS.. lol

Up here in Can-a-duh.. they'd cost double... easily.. PLUS shipping... ;)

lol

http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10086|10700|10217&product=32472277&code=040011316400

18", Circumference 57", #61149 - Buoyancy 112 lb. Hole 1-1/2" $77.99

We go to Whistler BC every January, I'll smuggle you some across the border! (and then I'll smuggle back the Voltaren topical ibuprofen that my wife loves to get from Canada).

Of course, I can't help the fact that your currency is weak relative to ours again, that's been a LONG time coming. It's what helped us buy our timeshare in Whistler in the first place back in about 2000.

BamaMojo
09-08-2015, 03:15 PM

I proudly??!? Taught my kids the same loving peace sign Sunday. I only hope the other guy in the bass boat and his two small sons enjoyed the kind gesture!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spyder
09-08-2015, 03:16 PM
We go to Whistler BC every January, I'll smuggle you some across the border! (and then I'll smuggle back the Voltaren topical ibuprofen that my wife loves to get from Canada).

Of course, I can't help the fact that your currency is weak relative to ours again, that's been a LONG time coming. It's what helped us buy our timeshare in Whistler in the first place back in about 2000.

can we meet up in Whistler.. you bring your balls, i'll bring my skis.. we rip it up...

... i said balls.

trayson
09-08-2015, 03:23 PM
can we meet up in Whistler.. you bring your balls, i'll bring my skis.. we rip it up...

... i said balls.

LOL. Jan 9th to 16th. I'm always there the 2nd full week of January. I snowboard, my wife and son ski. Love our Whistler trip. I just have to decide if I'll be getting a 3 day or 5 day Edge Card.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--dzPdvoS05g/Ve82Lq7fP2I/AAAAAAAAaMc/vw1vytsIzvU/s800-Ic42/IMG_1648.JPG

dusty2221
09-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Floating Restrooms!?!?!!?!

You mean...like...not just peeing in the lake?

trayson
09-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Floating Restrooms!?!?!!?!

You mean...like...not just peeing in the lake?

Yes, floating restrooms. the purpose of which is:

When one of the girls on the boat insists that they must pee and refuse to get into the water to do so (I've been in this situation when it's wetsuit or drysuit weather and the girls on board don't wanna get cold/wet and we're not going to dissuade them from being passengers on the boat).
When someone has to drop a Deuce, it's a lot easier to float up to the floating restroom (a dock with a pair of toilets on it) than deal with figuring how to get to land...

dusty2221
09-08-2015, 04:23 PM
I had no idea this existed. Texas girls just drop bottoms and pop a squat on the platform and hold onto the transom handle!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mnpracing
09-08-2015, 04:27 PM

why was there only 30 feet between you and the houseboat?

Henner
09-08-2015, 04:31 PM
We had a huge D-BAG at the ramp sunday morning. I am sitting in the boat as the wife starts to back down the ramp and we are just sitting there. I am wondering what she is doing and as she is trying to cut it to back down this D-BAG figures he needs to get out of his parking spot first, instead of waiting 30 seconds for her to back down he wedges his trailer and truck between my wife and other parked trailers. I throw my hands up and go about my business. I am now in the water and wife is attempting to pull up the ramp when i see this jack wagon come in the opposite way of the ramp due to the line of 4-5 boats waiting to unload and makes a big U turn on the dang ramp cutting off several other people trying to load and unload. I head towards the dock to wait on wife and this guy comes down the dock at same time and gets in his boat to load it. I said you need to learn some damn boat etiquette, he wouldn't respond so we just stayed on him the whole time he was trying to load. Once he got his boat on the trailer everyone in my boat clapped for him and I got on the intercom over the wetsounds and said everyone else can go on about their business since the only guy at the lake that matters has loaded his boat...

trayson
09-08-2015, 04:44 PM
why was there only 30 feet between you and the houseboat?

I'm not sure the exact distance, but it was a narrower spot of the lake in the first place and if I would have maintained a greater distance between us and the houseboat, the boat behind us would have surely passed us and endangered my wife surfing behind the boat. If I would have stopped, she could be dead in the water and the boat behind us could have REALLY run her over.

So yes, I lessened the distance between me and the houseboat that was putting out little to no wake to discourage the other boat that was going 15 to 20+ mph and would have surely thrown waves that would have made my wife crash.

This took place at the narrowest part just before it widened up. So yeah, I didn't start out that close and I would have given the houseboat plenty of room, but the safest thing to do was actually to close the gap and stop the boat from trying to go inbetween us. and maybe it wasn't really only 30 feet, but it was really too close for me to have to be, much less for a boat to trying to fit in between us.

trayson
09-08-2015, 04:46 PM
I had no idea this existed. Texas girls just drop bottoms and pop a squat on the platform and hold onto the transom handle!

Here is a pic of the actual restroom I'm talking about and an article about installing more elsewhere

http://media.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty_impact/photo/9876136-large.jpg
http://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/index.ssf/2011/08/floating_restroom_to_be_instal.html

zabooda
09-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Dworshak Reservoir in Idaho has floating outhouses. Very peaceful visit in the morning.

09-08-2015, 05:55 PM
The guy who offloaded his boat from the trailer into the slot for fueling up when there were THREE OTHER open ramps with no one in them. The real WTF moment was after parking his truck and trailer, walking down the hill he didn't even purchase fuel! They just left while four of us were waiting for the pump.

smorris7
09-08-2015, 09:48 PM

What he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdman
09-08-2015, 11:11 PM

most sasky girls do this too but the waters just a lil cooler for them theres no going to shore up here due to the shield and the beach might be five miles away. crazy to think how over populated the lake is to have a floating restroom?

mmandley
09-08-2015, 11:45 PM
most sasky girls do this too but the waters just a lil cooler for them theres no going to shore up here due to the shield and the beach might be five miles away. crazy to think how over populated the lake is to have a floating restroom?

I wouldn't say the lake is over populated, LBC is a big winding lake, there is only a couple places to dock and have restrooms. I think it's just a courtesy the lake provides.

Also you can only go to one side of the lake, one side is the reservation and is illegal to even step foot on that land.

Woody929
09-08-2015, 11:49 PM

This!! .....

trayson
09-09-2015, 10:47 AM
I didn't say that we used the floating restrooms. they tend not to smell all that great, and we were even floating in the general vicintity of one and a girl who just got done wakeboarding said she wanted me to go to the floating restroom and I said no because it'd take far less time to do it the "Texas way". LOL.

wolfeman131
09-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Forgot one: anyone wearing a #12 New England Patriots jersey.

BobP
09-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Forgot one: anyone wearing a #12 New England Patriots jersey.

Like this ^^

kaneboats
09-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Ha ha. Used to be the old Falcons Vick jersey too.

tarheelskier
09-11-2015, 02:33 PM
- the guy that needs to stand up while driving his Tahoe IO as fast as possible

You hit the nail on the head with this one! I understand the center console guys that stand, but the IO guys that stand to drive everywhere they go, always with his girl standing beside him is total d-baggery.

On our lake we also have a Tool who rides a jet ski, doing about 60 while wearing the old school ski BELT!

09-11-2015, 07:06 PM
On our lake we also have a Tool who rides a jet ski, doing about 60 while wearing the old school ski BELT!
As in a PFD?

newty
09-12-2015, 01:38 AM
My dad fell doing 90+ wearing a ski belt in a Slalom race, needless to say there is nothing left of that particular belt. Would love to have one for my all of fame though!
Might or might not be why I am the way I am.:p

BensonWdby
09-12-2015, 10:17 PM
I was almost killed by a ski belt. Had a feet first fall (flip) and the belt, adjusted for my waist, slid up to my armpits. My chest was much bigger than my gut at the time and the belt did not re-adjust. So I got a giant bear hug. Could not breathe, was floating with head below water, too much pressure on D-rings - could not undo. Driver came over and eventually pulled the belt off over my arms and head. The very last day I ever wore one of those.

tarheelskier
09-16-2015, 12:55 PM
As in a PFD?

Yep! Wish I had a pic.

Fastest1
09-21-2015, 07:48 AM
Ski belts are still approved aren't they? Why waste your time judging?

zabooda
09-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Ski belts are still approved aren't they? Why waste your time judging?

They have been outlawed for at least a few decades now. They don't meet CG requirements so they are in the same category as water wings for kids. They serve no purpose.

Fastest1
09-21-2015, 07:10 PM
I didn't know that.
I didn't have an opinion on others and their attire either.