PDA

View Full Version : 05 mobius ls sputters and dies?

Cjackson1123
09-06-2015, 11:22 PM
So I just bought this boat and it has run flawlessly up until today. Me and some friends were out running and the boat ran no problem. We stopped for a while and then divided to go back and play some more well the boat ran fine for a min and then would just kind of sputter and die. The boat starts right back up but will die again doing the same thing. It doesn't do it at any certain rpm or speed. So after trying to figure out what was going on with nothing found out of the ordinary we packed it up and headed to the boat ramp the boat does the same thing a couple more times then runs fine. I have no clue what it could be. It is the indmar assault 325 motor and had 165 hours. Any help?

VA LSV
09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Sounds like vapor lock. Do a search, lots of posts about this. Quick fix is to pour cold water on the fuel pump and fuel line from the filter.

mmandley
09-07-2015, 10:54 AM
If you just bought it, change fuel filter, look up the vape lock stuff, and look into replacing the ignition control module inside the distributor. It's easy to replace but causes the same problem you have as it's starting to go bad.

Cjackson1123
09-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Well I ran to the lake this afternoon to see if I could make it do it again and guess what it did it again and worse thanks for the info. I'm going to call the place I bought it from and see what they say because they had to replace the ecm according to them because it was missing but after replacing it they said it was ok.

5:00
09-08-2015, 01:04 AM
Missing? That is strange.

BT_48170
09-08-2015, 08:39 AM
I have an 05 mobius LS as well, I have had problems with the carburetor getting gummed up causing stalling and sluggish running. There are a lot of how to videos out there for rebuilding the carb, it's not too bad and you can get a $30/$40 gasket kit from most autoparts stores. The other problem I had that caused the boat to stall was with the fuel pressure safety switch, this sensor is back by the distributor, it kills the power to the fuel pump if there isnt oil pressure, if the switch goes bad like it did on mine it can cause sporadic stalling and leave you scratching your head because it wasn't exactly repeatable in the beginning. You can try to put a jumper wire between the two sensor terminals to determine if its the sensor.

bcline2012
09-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Still having the stalling Problem? I recently had the same problem in my 2005 Mobius LSV EFI. It would come out of the hole great and would run for the same length of time then at cruising speed it would stall out. My problem was the Ignition Module underneath the Distributor Cap. Indmar had to get involved and thought it was either that or coil pack.

Cjackson1123
09-09-2015, 03:47 AM
Yes still having the problem I believe I'm just going to go back to the dealer with the issue seeing as I just got the boat. Spoke to the service dept. There and he went through a tone of things that it could be and seeing as I don't habe the diagnostic computer to hook the boat to like they do I think this would be best maybe I don't know. He assured me they would take care of me so will see. He seemed to think it might be some trash clogging up the fuel rails causeing the injectors to get sucked shut, or the fuel pressure regulator is clogged. I asked about the ignition module and he said he didn't think it would be that but of course it could be he couldn't tell me obviously with out looking at it first. But he did say if it was the ignition module he would replace that as well as the coil pack at the same time seeing as one can make the the other go bad. I'm kind of at a loss with it as it is new to me and it's already giving me trouble.

mmandley
09-09-2015, 01:55 PM
Hope you let us know the cause when it's fixed.

Don't get too frustrated, the boat is 10 years old with only an average of 16hr per year. Your going to have a few bugs to work out.

This is were people have to decide when buying a used car, do I take low millage 10 year old car or a high millage 10 year old car. One sat most of is life but the other ran all the time. Both have pro and con.

When I bought my Vette it sat most of the time for 9 years. A month after I got it the ignition system failed, fuel system failed, I spent over 1k on parts and 2 weeks chasing problems. Got stranded 2x and then after I got it running great it was winter. The next spring the tires dry rotted. I still never regret fixing everything. I love driving that car.

Just a fact of life with vehicles, engines sitting.

Point is, after you work out the bugs, and you use the boat each year the problems tend to go away.

Cjackson1123
09-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Well I just got a call from the shop and they said the fuel pump was totally locked up and that was the cause of the problems. Hopefully that will get it done and we can use it a couple more times before its time to put it up for the year.

Cjackson1123
09-19-2015, 11:00 PM
Well I got another call from the shop today and said the boat was running fine then just died now he has no power to the fuel pump and is having to chase down electrical gremlins so well see how this goes and how deep I get with this by the time it gets delt with.

smokeysevin
09-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Well I got another call from the shop today and said the boat was running fine then just died now he has no power to the fuel pump and is having to chase down electrical gremlins so well see how this goes and how deep I get with this by the time it gets delt with.

They need to check the "fuel pump pressure switch" on the back of the block, it takes oil pressure from the engine and trips a switch to power up the fuel pump. Have them swap that and change the oil. Is your motor carbed of EFI? I went through the exact same thing on our 04 Mobius LS Indmar 310.

Sean

Cjackson1123
09-24-2015, 01:34 PM
It's efi and I will call the and ask about that when I call today.

smokeysevin
09-24-2015, 03:37 PM
It may not be setup the same way as the carb engine but it is a cheap part and easy to diagnose.

Sean

Cjackson1123
09-28-2015, 03:31 PM
Well I got the boat back and haven't had time to take it out yet the dealer says it's fixed but at a price of a $1000.00 on a boat that I just got. I was very suprised when I got the boat back and it had grease all over it and the back seat I don't know if I'll be able to get the stain out and we'll as the carpet had foot prints all in it. Over all not very happy with the service that I am getting oh and I almost forgot the oil pressure gauge that was broken when I got it and was promised that I would get a new one still haven't received that either.

MJHSupra
09-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Bum deal. Dealer? Wow. Poor that the shop would not take their shoes off when servicing your boat.

When you start to get on the water, ask the other wake boats for who they recommend. Good mechs stay busy and do not have to look for business.

I get mad when people walk down the boat ramp parking lot and then the boat dock. Them they want to walk all over the vinyl and carpet with dirty flip-flops.

What did $1k cost? Without looking, I would bet a new fuel pump would be $250. Plus $200-$300 for labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cjackson1123
09-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Yeah I wondered if this is common with this dealer and do they treat there customers that buy 100 plus boats the same way. I have a good tech here at home close to me but instead I drove an hour and a half one way to take the boat back to the dealer that I bought from hoping they would do right by me. Now they did knock the price down to 750 so I appreciate that but it pains me a little to know that I've owned this boat for 4 1/2 weeks now and it has been with them more then it has me. I talked to the shop foreman and he said they replaced the fuel pump and pressure regulator because they go hand in hand and he said it ran then started doing the same thing again looked future in to it and he had lost power. So he had to trace down a short to ground. He said he fixed that issue and had to replace the kill switch because" it was really touchy" his words not mine.

MJHSupra
09-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Yeah I wondered if this is common with this dealer and do they treat there customers that buy 100 plus boats the same way. I have a good tech here at home close to me but instead I drove an hour and a half one way to take the boat back to the dealer that I bought from hoping they would do right by me. Now they did knock the price down to 750 so I appreciate that but it pains me a little to know that I've owned this boat for 4 1/2 weeks now and it has been with them more then it has me. I talked to the shop foreman and he said they replaced the fuel pump and pressure regulator because they go hand in hand and he said it ran then started doing the same thing again looked future in to it and he had lost power. So he had to trace down a short to ground. He said he fixed that issue and had to replace the kill switch because" it was really touchy" his words not mine.

Well . . . you're up and running. Depending on where you live, I would get out and use it.
Soon, you will hear all the talk about winterization . . . . .

Unless you can buy a new one with a warranty, it's a boat, it's a '05, something else will happen. Not trying to rain on your parade.
Awesome you found a boat with that low of hours. Once you get it going you should be fine.

My 70 Chevelle HATES ME when I do not dive it. I'm always fixing or adjusting something on that car, but I LOVE to drive it.

M-

Cjackson1123
10-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Well I haven't gotten to run the boat since I got it back from the dealership until yesterday so I took it to the lake and made about a mile and a half run in circles by the boat ramp and came down to idle and it ran fine. Then while idling for about 3 or 4 minutes it shut off. So I started it back got up on plane ran for a minute and then back to idle and it shuts off. So I go to start it back up won't start and now the battery is dead. So I get towed back started looking at the motor and noticed the alternator belt is a little loose so I tighten that but I was still getting about 12.5 volts on my meter. I am at a loss with this boat now. I have no idea what to do. The dealer replaced the fuel pump on the side of the motor and fuel pressure regulator and safety kill switch and made jumpers from the hot in the and ground in the wiring harness. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post but I'm about to call them and see if I can't just get my money back for this thing. What a horrible experience.