PDA

View Full Version : Exile XM9 Thread repair

liquid_acid
08-31-2015, 02:49 PM
This past week I had a friend put on my xm9's for me. Since I leave my boat parked in my driveway, I take the speakers off after every use. He must have tightened them down too much stripping the threads on the aluminum part on a couple of the speakers. Has anyone had this issue before? Has anyone installed a Helicoil to fix this?

No sure what to do besides a Helicoil kit.

Cheers
Chris

tater
08-31-2015, 03:25 PM
I have done the same, a Helicoil will do the trick or if they are still under warranty ship them back to Exile and they will hook you up no problem.

liquid_acid
08-31-2015, 03:52 PM
I bought them in March. Will they warranty that? Might be cheaper just to do the helicoil then ship them out there?

smorris7
08-31-2015, 03:59 PM
2 year warranty I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
08-31-2015, 04:02 PM
One issue with a thread repair insert, is the larger hole that needs to be drilled in order to accept the insert. I would first chase the threads in both the pod and on the thumb bolt as both are likely stressed. Due to the nature of those internal threads, is dont see an insert working.

mmandley
08-31-2015, 06:29 PM
I had my old set have the same issue. Exile heli coiled them and never as issue again. The most important part is keep the drilling straight.

It will work and did hold on mine.

If you have questions call Exile ask to talk to Bill, he has done several of them.

BamaMojo
09-01-2015, 02:21 PM
I bought them in March. Will they warranty that? Might be cheaper just to do the helicoil then ship them out there?

Call Brain, he will take care of it for you. Did mine this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquid_acid
09-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Well last night I had a friend install the helicoils for me. I think I should be good to go. The fine thread ones were a pain to find but I found them after searching.

yooper
09-03-2015, 02:50 PM
I just did mine last night too. You're right, the fine thread aren't as common. (I swear I ordered the fine, but that's not what showed up...) I used a coarse thread kit and just changed the bolts to match.

liquid_acid
09-03-2015, 03:02 PM
Wonder why exile hasn't gone to a stainless ring yet if so many people are having issues with the aluminum.

mmandley
09-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Wonder why exile hasn't gone to a stainless ring yet if so many people are having issues with the aluminum.

I would assume coat, rolling to change that design, also I have been running Exile for 6 years and never had an issue until my buddy cranked the righting screw down like a mad man.

I think this is a relatively new problem with the larger speakers.

I know Exile went to SS clamps so it might be in the works to change that part also.

When you figure most changes to the shakers can cost 30-50k in design and retooling the production, you have to be careful coat doesn't surpass profit.

Brianinpdx
09-10-2015, 02:07 PM
Heli Coil will do the trick on repairing the thumb screw. You can send them back to us in warranty or out. We'll repair it. We don't see lots of them come back for this problem, but it does happen. -Brian

ColoradoLake19
01-22-2016, 06:38 PM
Heli Coil will do the trick on repairing the thumb screw. You can send them back to us in warranty or out. We'll repair it. We don't see lots of them come back for this problem, but it does happen. -Brian

Hi Brianinpdx. I called last week to explain this same issue on this thread and have yet to receive a call back. I have 4 exile tower speakers and they are stripped so they do not hold. Is there anywhere I can talk to someone to have them returned? I purchases them last year to go with the 2015 Moomba Mojo. Thanks! [email protected]

mmandley
01-23-2016, 01:49 AM
Hi Brianinpdx. I called last week to explain this same issue on this thread and have yet to receive a call back. I have 4 exile tower speakers and they are stripped so they do not hold. Is there anywhere I can talk to someone to have them returned? I purchases them last year to go with the 2015 Moomba Mojo. Thanks! [email protected]

Can you pm me your info, first last name, I will get you in contact do they can be fixed.