PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Airguide Speedos

zabooda
08-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Has anyone in the past had any success with keeping water out of the Airguide speedo line? I've got one that reads correctly above 25 mph but I'm getting some drips out of the bottom of the speedo bezel. I'm thinking of pulling the lines at the gauge, expansion tube at the back of the boat and at the pitot tube and blow them out and reinstall. I'm thinking their may be a bad connection at the gauge allowing water to reach the gauge and then movement allowing the water to get into the gauge. I would think the gauge itself leaks internally but I'm still getting an accurate readout.

Has anyone used a GPS speedometer and is there some type of compensation for river current?

gregski
08-27-2015, 03:57 PM
They work by measuring pressure and would read the same if the tube was filled with water or air. The only way to get water in the tube is for the air to leak out. I bet you have a minor leak that is allowing the air/water to slowly escape (a drip) but not enough to reduce the pressure significantly enough to affect the speedo reading - that would probably take a "spraying" leak. Like you said, the best case scenario is a leak in the hose right at the connection to the gauge. If there's a leak inside the gauge, then it would need to be replaced or serviced if that's even possible.

If you disconnect the air line, you'll be able to blow out the water and temporarily stop the drip but I think it will eventually return when the air gets pushed out again.