PDA

View Full Version : Loose tower/rack bolts

ghebert1111
08-27-2015, 10:14 AM
The bolt that the tower rotates around (port side) when you put it down loosened up and fell out somewhere, $30 to get a replacement including shipping. So that prompted me to check any other bolts that might do the same and I found the bolt/nut that the port side rack rotates around was about 2 threads from separating. Is this common occurrence and do I just need to occasionally check them? What about applying some threadlocker blue on the threads?

smorris7
08-27-2015, 10:38 AM
All the tower bolts will loosen over time. Check the bolts that go through the gelcoat and make sure they are tight also. Also check the racks. Screws, bolts will loosen over time EVERYWHERE on your boat...

ghebert1111
08-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Thanks, I guess that makes perfect sense.

What about using some thread lock on those tower bolts/nut/etc... I used it all the time on my jet ski engines, anyone use it on their towers?

smorris7
08-27-2015, 12:16 PM
It couldn't hurt. The main tower bolts have nylock nuts but they still loosen.

mmandley
08-27-2015, 11:41 PM
OMG don't even get me started on bolts falling out.

All my cleats I have to tighten several times a year, I have tightened my tower to boat bolts 2xs now. I have added thread lock to my upper tower because I have a special 3 peace tower and bolts would fall out of that.

This year I had bolts falling out of my dash, then all the sudden my digital display fell through my dash.

Boats vibrate a ton and loose bolts are part of it. Just go through 1-2x a season and check tower, cleats, speakers and you should be pretty good. I only put Locktight on bolts I don't plan on removing, or can't get those nylocks on.

bergermaister
08-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Uh.... Have you seen Mike's stereo? My boat would be a pile of fiberglass dust and stainless bolts/brackets if I was running that setup.

Nylock nuts are your friend though.

168rod
08-28-2015, 09:01 AM
The bolt that the tower rotates around (port side) when you put it down loosened up and fell out somewhere, $30 to get a replacement including shipping. So that prompted me to check any other bolts that might do the same and I found the bolt/nut that the port side rack rotates around was about 2 threads from separating. Is this common occurrence and do I just need to occasionally check them? What about applying some threadlocker blue on the threads?

Not sure what bolt you're referring to; do you have a pic of bolt and/or location?

jstenger
08-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Mike, didn't you hear that Loctite and Exile don't mix?

kriley
08-28-2015, 09:36 AM
The bolts on our LSV tower kept getting loose - applied thread locker and they have not loosened up since!

ranger098
08-28-2015, 09:58 AM
I got some longer bolts and put some nuts on them, now i dont have to worry about it. I lost a few in the lake before that....

ghebert1111
08-28-2015, 12:35 PM
Not sure what bolt you're referring to; do you have a pic of bolt and/or location?22887

That's the one that didn't fall out.

I'll follow Mike's advice and check a couple of times yearly. Probably add thread locker to the ones that I find are loose.

patrick232
08-28-2015, 02:34 PM
I noticed mine have backed out some this season. Didn't have a screw driver big enough to turn it on the boat. Ill take one to the lake with me next time

168rod
08-28-2015, 04:51 PM

That's the one that didn't fall out.

I'll follow Mike's advice and check a couple of times yearly. Probably add thread locker to the ones that I find are loose.

Thanks .... Just noticed my starboard one is sticking out about 1/2".

mmandley
08-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Mike, didn't you hear that Loctite and Exile don't mix?

Yup, but I know my towers are never permanent so they get checked weekly lol

Claudia might want me to locktite them on lol

BamaMojo
08-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Common

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jstenger
08-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Both my pivot bolts loosened last year. Another issue I had was the swivel rack bar where it attaches to the block on the tower. There are two guide pins, one on each side of the rubber handled mounting bolt. They also loosened, and the racks began to tilt down. Needless to say, everything got tightened with Loctite.